Xssights   CrossBreed Holsters   Magnum Research new   Tommy Gun
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: S&W M&P vs. Glock

In a comparison like this, I would expect to see the Springfield XD and XDM being considered, too.
    Very interesting...

I have a M&P .40 full size and it's a great pistol for me..The small backstrap insert fits my hand perfectly and it points naturally to me...I have about 500 rounds of all kinds of factory rounds and reloads through it and it has never had a single problem of any kind and is accurate...At first the trigger felt a little gritty and stiff but with only 500 or so through it the trigger has smoothed out considerably and has a good break and should only get better with time...

I looked at a gen 4 Glock but it just didn't fit my hand as well and since I own several other S&W pistols I know first hand of their great customer service and life time warranty with no questions asked...

As for round count my M&P holds 15+1 and if thats not enough to settle things I should have brought along some heavily armed friends...I don't see that you could go wrong either way with a Glock or a Smith...To me if a gun feels right in my hand I'm much more likely to shoot it well rather than trying to make an ill fiting gun work just to say I have a such and such brand...

I also looked at a Springfield XD which almost everyone says is a fantastic gun but I knew right away it wouldn't work for me and just felt strange as did the Sig P226 I looked at, again a great pistol for some folks but just not for me...

I would highly advise you to rent both side by side as most good ranges will have both of these pistols and see how you shoot them and how they feel in your hand and I'm sure you will come away knowing which one if the one for you...Good luck with your decision...

I favor the M&P's hands down. Better asthetics, (look cooler). They feel great in the hand. My son has 2 XD's and they shoot very well also, better lines than the Glock but not as nice as the M&P.

Our county deputies recently transitioned from Glocks to M&P 45's. The several I've spoke to love them to pieces.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

If I get a little limp-wristy, some of my Glocks will smack me with brass. It's not an every shot occurrence though and I mostly have Gen 4 guns. Since you said that you take them down and clean them frequently, you might want to get someone to demonstrate how both guns are broken down. I've been told that the S&W's are not easy as the Glocks, but I can't verify that since I haven't cleaned my M&P Shield yet. I went through this very comparison before buying my first semi-auto and I chose Glock and kept buying Glocks. Haven't had a problem Glock yet. I will say that the M&P does feel good in the hand though.

Oh, there is also a big difference in the triggers out of the box...the Glock is a lot nicer, but I read that the M&P triggers can be improved by adding Apex parts.
    Yes, I am a gun lovin' woman!
    16 For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life. John 3:16

[QUOTE=Popeye;156037]
    Quote Originally Posted by MO_Soldier View Post
    I didn't know Glocks ejected rounds reward. Can anyone else verify that, or is it just individual guns that do this?

QUOTE]

Don't know if they all do it but it's a very well know fact that many Gen 4 glocks will eject brass in your face and Glock seems to be having problems correcting this issue. Go to Glock talk and read it for yourself.
    Thank you! Not that I was doubting you. As each of us knows, each gun has its own mind! lol

Quote Originally Posted by O'Dell View Post
    M&P! But you knew I was gonna say that.
    I'm starting to realize the M&P's superiority. And with the lower price after discount, plus versatility with the compact model plus the quality mag extension, I think I've found a winner!
    Kahr PM9094 - Hornady Critical Defense

Marlin 30-30
    Mossberg 500A 12 GA
    Marlin .22LR

Xd's are also very nice pistols. I had a XD9SC and would still have it if I didn't buy the Kahr PM9. I'll be looking closely at the XD slim 9mm when they come out as I'm a big fan of the grip safety and the way the XD breaks down.
    To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.

SHOOT STRAIGHT, RIDE SAFE

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by JFootin View Post
    In a comparison like this, I would expect to see the Springfield XD and XDM being considered, too.
    Good point. But I have already checked out the XD's in person and have eliminated them based on the price. I see the M&P and Glock being great alternatives to that pistol and I'll save $200+ that way too.

Quote Originally Posted by melissa5 View Post
    If I get a little limp-wristy, some of my Glocks will smack me with brass. It's not an every shot occurrence though and I mostly have Gen 4 guns. Since you said that you take them down and clean them frequently, you might want to get someone to demonstrate how both guns are broken down. I've been told that the S&W's are not easy as the Glocks, but I can't verify that since I haven't cleaned my M&P Shield yet. I went through this very comparison before buying my first semi-auto and I chose Glock and kept buying Glocks. Haven't had a problem Glock yet. I will say that the M&P does feel good in the hand though.

Oh, there is also a big difference in the triggers out of the box...the Glock is a lot nicer, but I read that the M&P triggers can be improved by adding Apex parts.
    I can field strip my M-16 and reassemble in 1 minute. I think I can handle an M&P (Famous last words lol)
    Edited to thank Melissa for the advice despite my smartass remark Sorry

Marlin 30-30
    Mossberg 500A 12 GA
    Marlin .22LR

Does anyone know about the 6 round addition thingy that you can add on to the M&P?
    I can't find anything solid on it. It'd be awesome to have a 22 capacity capability at home!

Speaking of that...I REALLY need more magazines for my Kahr. My only 2 that I carry 24/7 are getting worn out too quickly!

Marlin 30-30
    Mossberg 500A 12 GA
    Marlin .22LR

Your a wise editor man. I'm told Melissa can field strip and reassemble her Glock, slap you silly, and have lunch in under a minute.

I have no proof of this but rumors are rampant.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

I will toss my hat in the Glock circle. I have a Gen4, and have yet to be hit in the face with brass (from this weapon...).

Like most, I dont find the Glock to be a "natural pointer" - but I do find that once I am used to it (a few rounds) I adjust quickly, with no problems. I shot one the *first* time at the range taking my CHL class. I did very well, but this was a couple years prior to deciding to purchase.

my reasons for choosing -

1. History - while I have no doubts the M&P is a solid gun, the Glock has proven it for several decades and tests.
    2. I can work on it. There are something like 35 parts in a Glock. Including 4 in the mag. I need 1 tool to take anything and everything apart and put it back together.
    3. Parts - I can find ANYTHING for a glock.
    4. Compatibility. While this is changing with more departments branching out, Glocks are everywhere. this means parts, mags, "glocksmiths", etc are everywhere.

The M&P made the short list for a full size, and with family working with a large PD that just switched, I had lots of info on both.

The reality is, both are good guns. With a price difference of ~$50 bucks, neither is a clear winner, but so get the one you like best.