Magnum Research new   Tommy Gun   Crimsontrace   Tommy Gun Shop

Thread: Range visit with CM9 and a new Kimber

Default Range visit with CM9 and a new Kimber

A few days ago, a friend of mine asked me to help him break in his brand new Kimber Pro Carry II (a roughly Commander-size 1911) in 9mm. As he'd not seen my new CM9, I took it along for him to try out. For reference, this would be the second time on the range for my CM9, which got 250 rounds through it in its first shooting session.

My friend's Kimber was really nice and with the exception of one FTF, it ran otherwise reliably. It also shot very nicely too. That Commander size is very comfortable to shoot and even though it's aluminum-framed, it was soft for recoil. We fed it FMJ ammo in both 115- and 147-grain weights and also some Fiocchi Extrema XTP (which is hollow point ammo).

The CM9 was loaded with mostly the 147-grain American Eagle ammo but also some of the Fiocchi XTP. The CM9 ran 100% over the course of 150 rounds or so.

What I though was very interesting was how well the CM9 shot compared to the larger Kimber. My friend and I shot at mostly 15 feet (a reasonable self-defense distance) and utilized some exercises that I saw during a Combat Focus Shooting course taught by Rob Pincus. The CM9 proved easy enough to keep on small targets and to keep on target during rapid-fire. The CM9 was also easy enough to shoot one-handed, both strong- and weak-hand.

What was also intriguing was how my friend was able to go back and forth between the Kimber and the Kahr. He'd never shot a Kahr before and his only previous experience with a micro pistol was a Ruger LCP. My friend made several comments about the Kahr trigger that most of us here would echo: despite the long travel, the trigger is very smooth and not overly heavy. I can definitely appreciate a nice, single-action 1911 trigger but the Kahr really does surprise with how well its trigger functions.

So in the end, my CM9 has 400 rounds through it and has proven itself reliable and accurate. And if one wants a Commander-size, no-frills 1911 in 9mm, the Kimber Pro Carry II is definitely worth a look.

Nice report.!!

Nice report...My friends have Kimbers and they are nice, but they end up shooting my sub-compacts more it seems...LOL

I have a PM9 and a Kimber UC II in 45. I know the comparison is not the same due to the caliber difference, but I shoot the Kimber better because of a three finger grip. I have become better over the years of Kahr ownership with two fingers, but it hasn't reached equality. Of course the Kahr wins hands down in ease of carry. Also, I had some FRB issues with the Kimber until I bought better mags, something that has never happened with a Kahr.

My "collection" includes a PM9 and an Ultra CDP II. I shoot both equally well and thoroughly enjoy both of them. Two totally different pistols; 9MM and .45 ACP, DAO striker fired and S/A with exposed hammer. But they're both a blast to shoot and fit my individual carry needs with excellence. They've also both been flawless in their performance and reliability.

Just returned from the range after putting some rounds through both of them, along with the M&P Shield and M&P 45C. Some days I'm in a quandry on which one I want to carry. A nice problem to have.

I have the Kimber Ultra Stainless, and a Kahr CM9, both in 9. I like to shoot them both, and paid a lot more for the Kimber of course, but anymore I carry the Kahr most of the time because it conceals so easy and has been a great little gun, more than I ever expected when I bought it, nothing wrong with the Kimber, a great dependable gun, what I did expect when I bought it. Just my opinion. Thanks!!

I have found that anyone with decent trigger control shoots my CM9 well, even if they have never shot it before. That trigger really is hard to beat in DAO.