Magnum Research new   Kahr Shop   Xssights   CrossBreed Holsters
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Shield vs. PM9

Quote Originally Posted by shipwreck View Post
    Guess I'm gonna be the unpopular one here. I have a PM9. I went to rent a P9 last Saturday... I can't carry my normal IWB gun due to health problems. I wanted a gun just slightly bigger than a PM9... I thought the Kahr P9 might be it... I was hoping the little extra size would make a difference in recoil.

To me, it didn't really. As an afterthought, I rented the Shield. I shot it and loved it. I tracked one down and got it on Monday. I'll be shooting it in the next couple of days.

If it works with no issues (as I expect it to), I will be selling my Kahr PM9 next week, probably. With the shorter magazine, the gun is almost the size of the PM9. And, even with the extended mag, it still fits well in my cargo pants pocket

Hey Ship! Whatever works for you, works for you. I may still own a Shield one day, but I have also stepped away from the ledge too. In anticipation of the Shield, it was at the VERY top of my list. I figured it would be a smaller, lighter gun that would make an impact on the small 9 market. Since it was released, I have bought 2 CM9s and now have a PM45, P380 (yeah crazy) and a 1911 at the top of my list. Once I buy my first 1911, the Shield may not even be on the list anymore!

This is a Kahr board, but I was a M&P fan before I was a Kahr fan.

humm: I wonder why some comment the shiled is so thin, when it is actualyt wider than the kahr PM9 or cm9. .95 vs. .90. Just saying

I hope shipwreck enjoys the shield, it should be a good gun, one will never convince me it is more pleasant to shoot than a P9

shield cm9
    3.1" bbl 3.0 bbl
    6.1" long 5.42" long
    4.6" height 4.0 height
    19 oz 14oz
    .95 width .90 width
    7 rd 6 rd
    melonite slide stainless slide
    $450 msrp $517 msrp
    . My PM9 has over 40,000+ rounds through it, and runs much better than an illegal trying to get across our border

NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER

MAY GOD BLESS MUGGSY

Quote Originally Posted by jocko View Post
    humm: I wonder why some comment the shiled is so thin, when it is actualyt wider than the kahr PM9 or cm9. .95 vs. .90. Just saying

I hope shipwreck enjoys the shield, it should be a good gun, one will never convince me it is more pleasant to shoot than a P9

shield cm9
    3.1" bbl 3.0 bbl
    6.1" long 5.42" long
    4.6" height 4.0 height
    19 oz 14oz
    .95 width .90 width
    7 rd 6 rd
    melonite slide stainless slide
    $450 msrp $517 msrp
    Jocko, Those #'s are just FACTS... LOL

People prefer talking about guns in vague variables like... "almost" the same size "feels like" the same weight. "fits" in my pocket ???
    You know they are ALL HANDguns so they all got to be HAND size to start with. I can "fit" my Para P-12 45 in my pocket too. That doesn't mean I would say it is "almost" the same size as my CM9 and just as good for pocket carry!!!...Just saying... Whatever floats peoples boats though, me I like my Kahrs for a CCW.
    I like the M&P's too, I almost bought a MP9c but ended up getting a G26 instead. If I want to carry more capacity and a larger gun then my Kahr's then my G26 is my next step up.

I paid $395 for mine.

When you compare the two guns, and put one and the other in the pocket - honestly, the size doesn't really matter. They are close enough that one being just a tiny bit larger is largely irrelevant. But, the Shield is a softer shooter.

Anyway, if you like the Kahr more - then fine. I have owned my PM9 for 2 years now. Its always worked. I just like the SHield more now.

The Shield is a lot bigger than the PM9 and even slightly larger than the CW and P9. It's also quite a bit heavier than any of the three. I've never had a recoil problem with any Kahr including the PM45. If the Shield has a better controlled recoil than the Kahr 9's it because of its weight. I'll nearly always go with the lighter pistol in any category. That's why my belt carry is a CW45 and my pocket carry is a PM9.

I can't even understand why the comparison comes up, really. The Shield is hugely bigger than the PM9, and when it comes to pocket carry, every inch and ounce makes a gargantuan difference.

Here's a great, visibly unbiased review of both guns side by side:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UuFidpwtxI

And here's a review of the Shield vs the 9C:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hERsG...feature=relmfu

I was seriously considering a Shield, except for a few reasons:

1.) It's much bigger than the PM9
    2.) That safety is far too small in a SHTF situation, and the trigger is far too short for me to pocket carry without SOME worry without it engaged. The PM9 is the sweet spot for a trigger with no need for a safety

That said, the Shield is going to sell like hotcakes. It's a great "small" pistol, but I don't think it's small enough to be in the sub-compact market (just my opinion). But the price of the Shield is FANTASTIC, and the support for sights/holsters out of the gate is fantastic. Let's not forget the Shield will come with a LIFETIME WARRANTY. That just flat out rocks.

Also, the Shield is like the other M&Ps, so the takedown procedure is sooooo easy by comparison to the PM9, which - let's be honest - can be a tad fiddly: Line up the notches, stab at the slide-release lever. Fiddly recoil spring, having to push down on the barrel to reassemble etc. Not exactly simple. Sure, you get used to it, but the M&P line is a DREAM to take down and put together. Probably the easiest gun to take apart that I've ever used.

The more competition the better, but I think people who hold both the Shield and the PM9 will pick the PM9 for POCKET carry. For IWB holsters, the Shield may get the nod if you like the other aspects of the gun. Also, it's an M&P/S&W, which let's be honest - is going to sell better than the Kahr just in name alone.

THAT said, it's crazy how much more expensive the PM9 is! I paid, what... $750 including tax for my PM9/stainless w/ night sights + $200-ish for the Crimson Trace Grips. That's nutty...

For reference, I also owned a Sig P290 for a while, and it was huuuuge compared to the PM9 in my pocket. And yet the P290 is considered a sub-compact, too.

Different strokes, right?

PS I used to own an M&P 9 Pro Series, and didn't like the trigger, so I sold it. Too notchy.

my p290 i sold had the worst trigger i've ever felt on a sig.... my kel tec's have better triggers than that p290! Great video thanks for sharing that!
    Focus on your front sight..... The rest should be blurry!

The Shield was one of my favorite shows.....
    "Life Member NRA"
    I am addicted to brake fluid...don't worry I can STOP at anytime!

If you can wear cargo pants everywhere you go and dont ever have to hit a brisk walk or slight run, THEN the weight and size won't matter. If you are an average gun owner, the Shield will be on your hip. I bet a lot of people have already realized iy, but won't admit it. Kinda like those that voted for Obama. Shields will be available used within 6 months. Great job by S&W for building the hype and unloading a bunch of guns and $ on gear. That is great marketing. It won't be a long-term hit. Next time they try the hype, it better be something great! Remember...I've owned 3 M&Ps and carry a 9c when I can.

Quote Originally Posted by jeepster09 View Post
    The Shield was one of my favorite shows.....
    Hahahahahahahahahaha...The Commish!