Kahr Shop   Mitch Rosen   Xssights   CrossBreed Holsters
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Shield vs. PM9

Quote Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
    Congrats Dooger and welcome to the forum. You can find info in the tech section of this site http://kahrtalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27 Look at the sticky for Kahr Lube Diagram and also Proper Prep of a New Kahr. You will love your PM9 awesome gun!!
    Dooger

The Shield I have read doesn't require any prep and there are hundreds of posts of folks shooting the Shield with zero problems. I don't think we can compare the two guns. The Shield which I just purchased today is about the size of a Glock 26 only thinner. Smaller guns like the PM9 beats the Shield for pocket conceal but do to the size will never be as reliable as the Shield. Sorry you can't argue with the laws of physics.

I am sure you will enjoy your PM9 if you are looking for a good pocket gun.

Russ

Quote Originally Posted by itsthelaw View Post
    If you can wear cargo pants everywhere you go and dont ever have to hit a brisk walk or slight run, THEN the weight and size won't matter. If you are an average gun owner, the Shield will be on your hip. I bet a lot of people have already realized iy, but won't admit it. Kinda like those that voted for Obama. Shields will be available used within 6 months. Great job by S&W for building the hype and unloading a bunch of guns and $ on gear. That is great marketing. It won't be a long-term hit. Next time they try the hype, it better be something great! Remember...I've owned 3 M&Ps and carry a 9c when I can.
    Just like the Bodyguard line. Sold a bunch the first month on the market, then DOA. People will realize the gun has no nitch. Too big and too small. We'll see them on sale for $325 before the summer is over. With the last couple of gun designs, it seems like S&W is just not grasping what people want.
    Notables:
    Kimber Custom II 1911 .45 ACP ("How sweet it is")
    Kahr CM9 9mm - Trijicon night sights, Wolff 5# striker spring
    Glock 19 Gen 3 9mm - Meprolight night sights, BTGuiderod stainless steel captured guide rod, Ghost Ranger trigger connector, Vickers mag release
    Taurus 85 Stainless Steel .38 Special
    1977 Smith & Wesson 19-4 2.5" .357 Magnum - Wolff springs, Professional trigger job
    1955 Hi-Standard Sentinel R-100 .22lr
    1958 Marlin Golden 39-A Mountie .22lr
    Norinco SKS 7.62x39

I'm sure the Shield is reliable. My compact 40 and 45 M&P's were 100%, but then so have been all seven of my Kahrs. Personally, for a carry gun, I'll take small and light every time. Therefore, I'll keep my PM9, MK40, CW40, and CW45 and won't worry about buying a Shield.

Quote Originally Posted by Markis82 View Post
    Just like the Bodyguard line. Sold a bunch the first month on the market, then DOA. People will realize the gun has no nitch. Too big and too small. We'll see them on sale for $325 before the summer is over. With the last couple of gun designs, it seems like S&W is just not grasping what people want.

I bought a Bodyguard 380 and sold it a month later for the same price I paid. Thank goodness! Maybe that is why I have not fallen for the hype this time. I am sure the Shield is not the POS that the BG380 is, but the whole marketing scheme is the same. They are going to burn a lot of good customer relationships when the value of their guns keeps falling after 6-12 months.

Default Reliability Trumps

I have owned a Kahr CM9 Beretta Nano and now a Shield. I shot 650 rounds through the Kahr 1334 through the Nano and heading to the range today with my Shield. Every gun has strengths and weaknesses. I believe the single biggest weakness for Kahr which would be an easy fix is their magazine. Many of the issues with FTF nose dive I believe would be resolved with a higher quality magazine. It was completely unacceptable that I had to mess with the Kahr magazine just to get it to drop free.

The Nano is the easiest and quickest to field strip and I would still own it if it was reliable but like the CM9 it was not 100% and I am not willing to own a CCW that requires a degree in gunsmith and will always leave me wondering if it will deliver if a life is on the line.

I can't speak yet for the Shield but if you look At the M&P forum and compare it to the Beretta and Kahr forum the Shield is not receiving complaints from the masses of the gun not operating properly.

I will not argue the CM9 was a delight to pocket over the Nano and Shield but I need a gun that I know will always go bang and if you are into odds Google Kahr CM9 FTF FTE and repeat for the Nano and shield and the numbers will tell a story that will not be pretty for either the Kahr or Nano.

I realize the Shield has only been out a few weeks so there will not be near the data but for the Nano the FTE issue surfaced immediately and I would imagine if you took a random month and statistically compared the three for forum complaints my money is on the Shield it will come out on top as receiving fewer failure complaints and for me a CCW has got to go bang right out of the box with zero break in or prep. Proper grip or certain ammo. No excuses pull the trigger and it goes bang that is what I am looking for and if the Shield can deliver she has a home if not I will divorce and look for # 4 CCW.

Russ

Default sorry

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    Dooger

The Shield I have read doesn't require any prep and there are hundreds of posts of folks shooting the Shield with zero problems. I don't think we can compare the two guns. The Shield which I just purchased today is about the size of a Glock 26 only thinner. Smaller guns like the PM9 beats the Shield for pocket conceal but do to the size will never be as reliable as the Shield. Sorry you can't argue with the laws of physics.

I am sure you will enjoy your PM9 if you are looking for a good pocket gun.

Russ
    I ain't buying that "reliable" stuff. Kahrs are small they are extremely reliable. It's ok to defend the shiled if that is ones preference, it is a good gun, but bring along any shiled u want and lots of ammo and my worn ol PM9 with over 32K through it will stillbe there at the end, of the shoot, not saying ur shiled won't but ????? I have proven my PM9 with over 32K rounds out of it. It is not heresay. Indeed I can argue with the laws of physics I might not be right but I can argue. Humm comes to mind that smarter people than I have said a Bee cannot fly due to its small wings and massive weight--Humm. I think the bees proved that sh!t wrong. To many fokking levers on the left side. Just sayin.

enjoy ur shield, it is a good gun no doubt.
    . My PM9 has over 40,000+ rounds through it, and runs much better than an illegal trying to get across our border

NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER

MAY GOD BLESS MUGGSY

Quote Originally Posted by jocko View Post
    I ain't buying that "reliable" stuff. Kahrs are small they are extremely reliable. It's ok to defend the shiled if that is ones preference, it is a good gun, but bring along any shiled u want and lots of ammo and my worn ol PM9 with over 32K through it will stillbe there at the end, of the shoot, not saying ur shiled won't but ????? I have proven my PM9 with over 32K rounds out of it. It is not heresay. Indeed I can argue with the laws of physics I might not be right but I can argue. Humm comes to mind that smarter people than I have said a Bee cannot fly due to its small wings and massive weight--Humm. I think the bees proved that sh!t wrong. Just sayin

enjoy ur shield, it is a good gun no doubt.
    Jocko

I am not intetested in starting an argument. This reminds me of the arguments I had as a boy with my neighbor friend over which was better Chevy or Ford. I use to remind him Ford stands for "found on road dead" and he would remind me that GMC stands for "garbage man's companion" well life experiences have a way of changing a persons views. As adults I own a Honda and my boyhood friend owns a Toyota.

You are one person and you are a skilled gunsmith and you are willing to put in the time to ensure your firearm is working properly. However for me I am not as devoted to learn the gunsmith trade. My background is numbers and I go with odds and if you look at the odds not just your experience but 100s of gun owners the odds right now will suggest the Shield is more reliable and that is why I drive a Honda and why I purchased a Shield. For me I want to turn the key and it will start without a lot of under the hood tinkering and the same goes for my CCW. Pull the trigger and it goes bang.

Russ

I thought it was Fix Or Repair Daily.

KAHR must be an acronym for something.

Quote Originally Posted by O'Dell View Post
    I'm sure the Shield is a fine pistol, it is after all an M&P, but in size and capacity it's closer to the CW9 than the PM9. It's also 3 or 4 ozs heavier than either.
    ^^^^ this! I too fondled a shield this past week. I'll be keeping my CW9.

it's simple... if you need a pocket gun go with a kahr, if you need a gun iwb with a safety get a shield. I just hope people carrying with a safety don't think it's easy to rotate the selector to fire under stress! Takes tons of practice and time is everything in a SD situation (most of the time)!
    Focus on your front sight..... The rest should be blurry!