Tommy Gun Shop   Mitch Rosen   Magnum Research new   Crimsontrace
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Shield vs. PM9

A guy throws on his sweat pants in the morning when his wife asks him to run to the convenience store for some coffee. He walks into his closet and looks at the Shield that he just bought with the cash he got from selling his CM9, and he thinks to himself, "where the hell am I going to stuff that thing in these pants?", so he rationalizes that it won't happen this time.

What's the probability of the Shield firing and shooting the BG at the store when it is in his closet? Most numbers people could easily come to the conclusion that a gun is not needed, because the probability of needing it is extremely low. In my case, the probability of trying to stuff a Shield somewhere on my body is pretty low. As a matter of fact, as a probability guy, I am more likely to take the M&P9c with at least 12 rounds in it.

The Shield doesn't fit. In the video posted by another member, it is thinner than a 9c, but higher and only slightly shorter. It also loses to the CM9, because mine are 100% reliable...same as my 9c. The Shield was a mistake for S&W and those that purchased it. I won't even buy one in October when they are $300.

Check out the M&P forums. The complaints are starting. The trigger isn't what they said it would be so people are changing them out already. There are accuracty questions. The mags are not dropping free of the grip. Even the biggest fanboys and most outspoken, have cooled down a bit on the gun. One even said that the 8rd mag doesn't need to drop free, because it will be the backup or second mag you use. Huh?

If you like 9mm, own a CM9 for the trip to the store and 90% of your carry situations, and get a M&P9c for the other 10%.

My PM9 is the best overall gun (for me) I have had, and I've had plenty. Accurate, light (so to speak) and easy to conceal. The shield is a nice gun, but too heavy for my taste. I have 1000 rounds through my PM and not a hitch.

I shot a Shield on Thursday. It is a nice gun. I shot it well. Liked it better than any Glock. But I'll stick with my two Kahr's for carry, and my SIGs, and my one and only CZ for range/game guns.
    Kahr CM9 9mm, Kahr PM40 40cal, SIG x-Five All Round 9, SIG P226 9, 40, and 357Sig barrels/slides, SIG P239-9mm, Desert Eagle 1911G, CZ75B Da/SA converted to SAO and Kadet 22 slide

Quote Originally Posted by knash33 View Post
    I thought it was Fix Or Repair Daily.
    Nope. "First On Race Day"

(I have a turbocharged 99 Mustang DOHC)

Joe
    Kahr CM9 9mm, Kahr PM40 40cal, SIG x-Five All Round 9, SIG P226 9, 40, and 357Sig barrels/slides, SIG P239-9mm, Desert Eagle 1911G, CZ75B Da/SA converted to SAO and Kadet 22 slide

Default wow

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    Jocko

I am not intetested in starting an argument. This reminds me of the arguments I had as a boy with my neighbor friend over which was better Chevy or Ford. I use to remind him Ford stands for "found on road dead" and he would remind me that GMC stands for "garbage man's companion" well life experiences have a way of changing a persons views. As adults I own a Honda and my boyhood friend owns a Toyota.

You are one person and you are a skilled gunsmith and you are willing to put in the time to ensure your firearm is working properly. However for me I am not as devoted to learn the gunsmith trade. My background is numbers and I go with odds and if you look at the odds not just your experience but 100s of gun owners the odds right now will suggest the Shield is more reliable and that is why I drive a Honda and why I purchased a Shield. For me I want to turn the key and it will start without a lot of under the hood tinkering and the same goes for my CCW. Pull the trigger and it goes bang.

Russ

thats deep man, really deep. I'm wordless.

u seem to be the minority though "here" with your commernts. Wonder what the statistical odds of that is???Just sayin
    . My PM9 has over 40,000+ rounds through it, and runs much better than an illegal trying to get across our border

NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER

MAY GOD BLESS MUGGSY

Default aw

Quote Originally Posted by itsthelaw View Post
    A guy throws on his sweat pants in the morning when his wife asks him to run to the convenience store for some coffee. He walks into his closet and looks at the Shield that he just bought with the cash he got from selling his CM9, and he thinks to himself, "where the hell am I going to stuff that thing in these pants?", so he rationalizes that it won't happen this time.

What's the probability of the Shield firing and shooting the BG at the store when it is in his closet? Most numbers people could easily come to the conclusion that a gun is not needed, because the probability of needing it is extremely low. In my case, the probability of trying to stuff a Shield somewhere on my body is pretty low. As a matter of fact, as a probability guy, I am more likely to take the M&P9c with at least 12 rounds in it.

The Shield doesn't fit. In the video posted by another member, it is thinner than a 9c, but higher and only slightly shorter. It also loses to the CM9, because mine are 100% reliable...same as my 9c. The Shield was a mistake for S&W and those that purchased it. I won't even buy one in October when they are $300.

Check out the M&P forums. The complaints are starting. The trigger isn't what they said it would be so people are changing them out already. There are accuracty questions. The mags are not dropping free of the grip. Even the biggest fanboys and most outspoken, have cooled down a bit on the gun. One even said that the 8rd mag doesn't need to drop free, because it will be the backup or second mag you use. Huh?

If you like 9mm, own a CM9 for the trip to the store and 90% of your carry situations, and get a M&P9c for the other 10%.
    come on, surely ur jesting, how can there be complaints on the SHIELD, statistically it just cannot be????? Just sayin

First time I heard of SHIELD, and all the rave reviews,,,, I went to the wal mart pharmacy and ask for a 6 pak of SHIELDS and they told me I needed to go to sporting goods for that Just sayin

It certainly wouldhave been cheaper than tryng to bid on the BMW wonder motorcyle.
    . My PM9 has over 40,000+ rounds through it, and runs much better than an illegal trying to get across our border

NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER

MAY GOD BLESS MUGGSY

lol there's quite some fanboyism here, isn't there?

Let's try and be objective here, shall we?

The Shield sucks and will DEFINITELY fall apart before 1,000 rounds, and the Kahr PM9 is ten times as reliable, five times as light as the Shield, and my PM9 holds way more rounds than a Shield. Period. The End. FACT.

PS

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    Jocko

You are one person and you are a skilled gunsmith and you are willing to put in the time to ensure your firearm is working properly. However for me I am not as devoted to learn the gunsmith trade. My background is numbers and I go with odds and if you look at the odds not just your experience but 100s of gun owners the odds right now will suggest the Shield is more reliable and that is why I drive a Honda and why I purchased a Shield. For me I want to turn the key and it will start without a lot of under the hood tinkering and the same goes for my CCW. Pull the trigger and it goes bang.

Russ
    Like Jocko, I don't buy that either. I'm certainly not a skilled gunsmith. I've never even attempted to take the grips of one of my 1911's, let along tear into the top end of a Kahr or any other semi for that matter. In the last five years, I have had seven kahrs and still have four. During that time I have had zero problems with any of the Kahrs, even during break in. I do know how to prep a new gun and do so with every pistol I buy. Unfortunately, that's not always enough. My STI had to go back to the factory for a new barrel and recoil assy and my Kimber would not feed properly with the factory supplied mag. Six or seven years ago, I had two Tauruses that even the factory couldn't get to work.

Secondly, the Shield hasn't been out long enough to establish any kind of track record. Obviously, the Kahrs have. Personally, I just not in the market for a pistol that's larger and heavier than what I already have, and although it may be a fine gun, hasn't yet proven itself.

BTW, sorry about the Honda.

I am not a gunsmith, I soldguns for a livein for 40+ years, I shoot alot, I try to study up on things. I am not sure if I said anything really negative about the SHIELD even. I like Smiths, b ecuase the SHILED is a tad bigger in all aspects, does that really mean it is more reliable or possably that is as smalla Smith could make their gun and it be reliable. In as much as kahr owns 7 patents on their model, maybe just maybe some of those important things casnnot be incorpporated into other maker modelswithut patent infrnngement. Just sayin.

I just don't think ur gonna get alot on as KAHR forum to go along with some of the hype put out by some on the SHIELD. I guess then I am a kahr fanboi in that sense of the word, My 2 big kahrs are absolutely positively reliavble, my P380 is almost there. If I want a gun with a safety, I can now buy a PM9 that is again even lighter and smaller than the SHIELD. The SHIELD will sell mainly because it is a Smith. It does seem to me anyhow that the earlier one NANO hype has settled down alot to. gotta get these guns in the shooters hands more than 50 or 100 to get any real feel of how it is gonna do.

KISS (keepit simple stup[id) is good for this ol time, 3 lever on one side is for me 2 to many, not that it is not a badf thing either, just for this ol time I will stay with what I have..

NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER

MAY GOD BLESS MUGGSY

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by WilliamG View Post
    I can't even understand why the comparison comes up, really. The Shield is hugely bigger than the PM9, and when it comes to pocket carry, every inch and ounce makes a gargantuan difference.

Here's a great, visibly unbiased review of both guns side by side:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UuFidpwtxI

I don't believe the person who made this video knows his Kahr very well. He claims to have owned it for two years but maybe he borrowed it from a friend but just before the 5 min mark he mentioned the Kahr does not have a loaded chamber indicator.

Can someone tell me what this is?

He lost all credibility after that comment and I couldn't watch anymore. I posted a comment on his video. The guy is a *******.

Ken