Tommy Gun   Mitch Rosen   CrossBreed Holsters   Xssights
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What Kind of PD Accuracy Do You Accept?

Different guns I require different accuracy out of. Maybe I should say I expect to shoot different guns more accurate than others. Most every gun I have ever shot was more accurate than what I could shoot it. I try to find the balance of speed and accuracy. I don't use a rest or bench just shoot 2 handed thumbs forward grip. Don't care about where my feet are as I am usually moving while drawing or reloading. I like the IDPA classifier to get a base for how well I shoot a gun. It involves strong hand and weak hand only shooting, shooting while moving, reloading on the clock shooting from behind a barrier from distances from 25 to 5 yards. I just don't stand and try to shoot the smallest groups not that it is wrong but it doesn't help me decide if I shoot a gun well. But I can tell real quick if I am not shooting a gun well or if I did shoot it well.

Sent from my evil black iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, considering you won't be standing there with two hands, controlling breathing, and leisurely shooting at a stationary paper target, hitting a paper plate or letter-sized sheet of paper consistently with rapid fire pointing is what I'm happy with. I'll be pretty busy trying to seek cover and tossing some rounds at the bad guy(s) to throw off his/their aim... depending on the situation and "backstop".

Wynn
    USAF Retired '88, NRA Life Member. Wife USAF Retired '96
    Avatar: Wynn re-enlists his wife Desiree, circa 1988 Loring AFB, ME. 42nd BMW, Heavy (SAC) B-52G's
    Frédéric Bastiat’s essay, The Law: http://mises.org/books/thelaw.pdf

Thomas Jefferson said

“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.”
    and

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Actually Wynn, you bring up a good point. Is Rule 4 more of a guideline, or is it a hard and fast. The point I'm making here is that yes for a range rule for is pretty absolute, but in a combat situation, is there any give to it? Sometimes you need to shoot the adam henry that is trying to shoot you, and many if not most times especially in an urban environment, your backstop is less that ideal. I refer you to the video of I believe the TX officer that is involved in a shoot out on a busy highway. Your thoughts all.
    Attitude: it takes 43 muscles to frown, 17 to smile...and 3 for proper trigger squeeze.

The olive branch is considered a symbol of peace, and good will. Last time I checked, it's still a switch.

We are responsible for every round that leaves or gun, hit or miss. This is why we should always be alert and aware of our surroundings. Only you can make that split decision to shoot or to wait, side step, crouch or do nothing. Lots of responsibility with no rewind or do overs.
    The chance of your gun fight happening under perfect conditions is almost zero. Prepare for the worst hope for the best.

It's an interesting exercise to dry fire at the people on your TV screen. They don't stay still and they often disappear before you get the click. Just don't let anyone catch you practicing on Whatsisname... Better to do it on some of the liberal talking heads.

Quote Originally Posted by skiflydive View Post
    It's an interesting exercise to dry fire at the people on your TV screen. They don't stay still and they often disappear before you get the click. Just don't let anyone catch you practicing on Whatsisname... Better to do it on some of the liberal talking heads.
    It's amazing how much better I shoot when visualizing shooting ******* I want to shoot.

I often practice at an indoor range that will not allow CCW holster draws. That said I'll put the gun in its holster on the lane bench and set a range bag with some ammo in it on top the combo (to realisticly slow the draw). I run the target out to seven yards and when ready, draw and fire three as fast as I can. An eight inch group in the center of mass is good enough. I average five inches on most days and have got a few of three inch groups.
    I don't shoot IDPA, as I'm something of a gimp these days (will if I ever get better), but find some form of competition shooting, I shoot trap and skeet, so you get use to shooting well under some form of pressure.

Plus, it's fun and the people you meet are great!

It matters less about what kind of gun and game you find, but that you get into the mental mindset of "I shoot pretty good under pressure". The mental part of the SD problem is the hardest to control and train for.
    I was once asked if I was "a paranoid for carrying my Kahr".
    "Nope" I said, "just prepared".
    " prepared for what" he asked?
    "more stuff than you are"
    God Bless our Troups!

Reminds me of Midways videos
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaYkxdHdP-4
    If a sign could stop evil….They’d make holsters for them!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mudcat View Post
    We are responsible for every round that leaves or gun, hit or miss. This is why we should always be alert and aware of our surroundings. Only you can make that split decision to shoot or to wait, side step, crouch or do nothing. Lots of responsibility with no rewind or do overs.
    The chance of your gun fight happening under perfect conditions is almost zero. Prepare for the worst hope for the best.

I know this, but my point is this: Are the odds that some one will be injured or killed so great as to warrant my life, or the life of my family? Take a look at that video I reference (Google fu is your friend), both the officer and the scrote fire many rounds basically into a very busy highway, and no innocents are hurt. By not shooting, the officer would have put more of the public in danger, and yes I know about qualified immunity, but is there a time when you have to go and hope you live to see the court room, or is rule 4 so set in concrete that you will let harm come to those you protect because you didn't have the perfect shot? Another way to look at this is from the perspective of a hunter in the field. Absolutely one better be sure of their target and what is beyond it then, but hunting and combat are two completely different things. Let that stew for a bit, and see if that question becomes a little more clear.
    Attitude: it takes 43 muscles to frown, 17 to smile...and 3 for proper trigger squeeze.

The olive branch is considered a symbol of peace, and good will. Last time I checked, it's still a switch.

My two cents: Maybe an officer in a gun fight might get away with shooting alot and maybe wounding or killing innocents sitting on a porch a block away. Where as u a civilian with a license to carry had better think twice about just opening fire or at least have ur lawyers phone number keyed in ur cell phone. for I can well assure u , if u pop a kid playing on a porch a block away, u are in deep sh!t, civilily for sure and maybe even legally. I gotta go with Mudcat on this responsibile for every round fired. It may indeed matter to u if ur family was in danger but for sure it would really matter when u pop a kid off someones porch. There is just a hell of alot of responsibility when we strap on those guns.

Look at this zimmeran deal. Hell that fokker is barricaded inside some safehouse for what, maybe a year plus until trial and then the ordeal of the trial and then when acquitted the living fear of someone wanting the 10K black panters reward. In my eyes if this was a good samiratin thing he was originally doing, it has to be a total night mare for him now. WAS IT WORHT IT????

I will be 10-8-6 taking a dump. u don't hear that alot on the radio but its in their code book or is that maybe my code book.
    Last edited by jocko; 05-13-2012 at 05:02 PM.
    . My PM9 has over 40,000+ rounds through it, and runs much better than an illegal trying to get across our border

NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER

MAY GOD BLESS MUGGSY