Xssights   Tommy Gun   Mitch Rosen   CrossBreed Holsters
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What Kind of PD Accuracy Do You Accept?

If you can consistently put rounds on an 8 1/2 x 11 sheet of paper at 7 yards that is good enough. That will cover center of mass within any realistic self defense range.
    A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

Molon Labe

I strive to keep mine in the A zone out to 25, I shoot some at what would be considered long ranges for a pistol, just because I can. Generally, I keep mine in the the A zone or just outside out to 25 yards. I hold myself to a higher standard.
    Attitude: it takes 43 muscles to frown, 17 to smile...and 3 for proper trigger squeeze.

The olive branch is considered a symbol of peace, and good will. Last time I checked, it's still a switch.

If you can keep all your shots on a paper plate at 7 yards when drawing from the holster as fast as you (safely) can then your good to go. The group you posted looks really good btw.
    Ruger SR1911
    Glock 19
    Kahr CM9

99% of all pistols produced today are more accurate than 99% of the people using them.

Quote Originally Posted by jlottmc View Post
    I strive to keep mine in the A zone out to 25, I shoot some at what would be considered long ranges for a pistol, just because I can. Generally, I keep mine in the the A zone or just outside out to 25 yards. I hold myself to a higher standard.
    Well, you're younger than a lot of us old codgers around here!
    Very interesting...

Again, I also hold myself to a higher standard. I try to train as much as possible too. Here lately, not so much, but I still get the job done. I wish I could find some room to really stretch out with my rifles, but that is not to be had here.
    Attitude: it takes 43 muscles to frown, 17 to smile...and 3 for proper trigger squeeze.

The olive branch is considered a symbol of peace, and good will. Last time I checked, it's still a switch.

Great if you're given the chance or are able to stand and deliver.

Show me 10' and in, holster draw, moving off the X, starting one handed point shooting from the hip transitioning to two handed sight shooting as the distance from the target increases. Use a silhouette target with no bulls eye.

I believe there are a whole bunch of drills that would have many of us - I include myself - shooting much larger groups but giving us a better idea of how we might perform in a SD situation.

BTW, your group is much better than what I'm able to do at that approximate distance.
    "I hate quotations. Tell me what you know."
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by AJBert View Post
    Any grouping within six inches center mass at 7 yards is more than enough accurate for me when it comes down to SD.
    +1
    Nobodies going to rob you from 25 yards away.
    Most SD work is up close and personal.
    Striking distance.

My 2" snubbies and 3" auto are point blank guns.
    Naturally I like being able to hit at a distance.
    And shooting a group into single ragged holes is sweetness.
    But carrying my Sig Sauer P220/45,
    with its 5.47" match barrel,
    isn't always practical.

Don't mistake my comments for a lack of ability to run and gun, especially at speed. My groups open up a little when I get happy on the trigger, but that is one thing I train hardest for is shoot and move, the tactical side so to speak. Remember, I too have BTDT for real. I've got the confidence thing down, and know exactly what I can and can't do with a pistol, shotgun, and rifle. I will also freely admit that I am no Grand Master shooter. Just because I hold myself to a higher standard also doesn't meant that I hold others I have taught to that same standard.

Quote Originally Posted by doc540 View Post
    Without using the CT laser, I practiced raising it from a 45 degree "down" angle using two hands, and firing two shots.
    I think the results will differ dramatically depending on how fast you raise the weapon and how short is the pause (when raised) before the actual shots are fired. Even the smallest increase in speed/timing there affects the results big time, IME.

I do a similar drill when I go to the range, from one-handed at the hip (finger off the trigger) up to two-handed and shoot as fast as I can possibly make it, and the results (at 7 yards) are much worse than yours... But if you give it even a fraction of a second of a "breather" time, to "compose yourself" a bit before the shot, -- the accuracy levels go through the roof, comparatively speaking... i.e. results look much better. So it's very hard to judge these kinds of things (like your impressive target results picture) without knowing the speed at which you were moving during the drill.

The real question is, how much time WILL one have in a real situation... Depends on the situation I guess, but most likely -- not a lot...

Hope none of us will ever have the chance to find out.

I practice SD shooting @ 10 yards & under. When done, I hold the target up to my torso & guess what? The BG isn't going to like getting hit with all the shots. I don't worry about grouping sizes, if I put the first 2 rounds into a BG's shirt pocket, he isn't going to care that my 3rd round hit a shirt button, 3-4 inches away! Simply put, if my rounds are all on a Paper Plate size circle/target, I'm a happy camper. JMHO!