Tommy Gun Shop   CrossBreed Holsters   Mitch Rosen   Xssights
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: It's here - Lebman 1907 replica!!!

Default It's here - Lebman 1907 replica!!!

Well it's been darn-near 8 months since I thought of it and decided that I wanted one but it's done. My replica of the Winchester 1907s prepared by Hyman Lebman of San Antonio for the Dillinger Gang (except not full auto), including Homer Van Meter and Baby Face Nelson. This is as close as I can come to the guns captured with Johnny D. and gang in Tucson - I sent every photo that I could find and a stock 1907 to Tom Wilkinson in Idaho (208-660-5135) and told him what I wanted - he came through beautifully cutting the barrel down to 16 inches and making a perfect replica of the comp and producing an unbreakable aluminum forearm for the vertical TSMG grip. I received the aluminum forearm raw and have been trying to paint it correctly - I'm still working on it but I can't wait any longer to share. I can't get to the range this weekend but I will be going next Friday to try her out - I've accumulated 6 of the 10-round mags and 350 rounds of 351 ammo.

By the way, Tom W. really got into the project and is producing a few more of these replicas.

Thanks for looking!

AK
    It ain't like the old days, but it'll do.

Proverbial thing of beauty. Takes my breath away. Thanks for the show and tell.

Bawanna45cal,

Thank you - I can't stop looking at it either - what a great long gun to use in the Zootshooter matches if I can reload some .351 with cast lead projectiles and actually find a match nearby.

Here's what a stock 1907 looks like compared to the Lebman

Nice piece of wood on that forearm. Even the stock one is a thing of beauty. Looks like that vertical forgrip would be quite a reach, way out there on the end.
    I bet you can't take your eyes off of it. Nice.

The vertical foregrip does look like it's out there in the photos but it is quite comfortable. I was watching Public Enemies this evening and there are several shots (pun intended) of a Lebman 1907.

Alvin,

I may be telling you something you already know but it may help someone else out there looking to load the.351.

My best source for loads have been the Lyman Cast Bullet handbook and an old out of print book by Philip B. Sharpe called Complete Guide to Handloading.

Best price I've found for brass is Buffalo Arms company who trim back .357 Maximum brass to make .351s.

Obsolete Brass Cases - 351 WSL AKA 351 Winchester Self Loading

My cast lead bullets come from Western Bullet.

NEI 351.172<br>.351 WSL

On the other hand if you have found better sources by all meas share them with me.

WOW! WOW! WOW! What a great and beautiful job in recreating an interesting historical firearm. PLEASE let us know how it shoots!

Thanks to all for the kind words - I'm very pleased with the results and will be giving a range report ASAP.

G-man - I knew about the Western Bullet cast bullets but not the new brass being made by Buffalo Arms - thanks! John Henwood's book has some loads too. I wish that I could find the book!!

Also, I need to clarify that while there is no doubt that Mr. Lebman modified 1907s (and provided Thompsons and other modified guns within the law - the National Firearms Act had not been passed yet), he apparently didn't know (it cannot be proved) that he was making them for criminals. He knew Baby Face Nelson and others by alias' and Nelson apparently distributed these to Dillinger, etc. The real question is how many of these modified 1907s were produced? By all accounts, very few; perhaps no more than 4-5?

New artsy-fartsy photo ode to the 1907 circa 1933-1934 -

Default Range Report

Took the modified 1907 out to the range and it was great. There were two problems. I spent more time talking to people and explaining what the rifle was and what the cartridge was (to very blank faces) than shooting and I had two cartridge cases split on me on two separate occasions jamming the action closed - a problem with using old ammo. The rifle was accurate and easy to shoot - the comp seemed to dampen recoil so there could be quick followup shots. I'll need to get my reloading of this cartridge up and running but all in all I can see why the lawmen and bad guys of the day liked it.

AK