Mitch Rosen   Tommy Gun   Tommy Gun Shop   CrossBreed Holsters
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: P380 Ammo

Default P380 Ammo

I took my new P380 to the range for beak in. For ammo I started with the cheap stuff, 200 rounds of Federal American Eagle FMJ target ammo. About a third of the time it would fail to go into battery completely, lacking about a 1/16". However, it would go into battery with authority when releasing the slide using the slide stop, so I probably need to try some different ammo. I guess I will stock up on about six different ammo types before the next range session. I am open to any suggestions about what ammo might work well before I place my order.

I shoot Federal FMJ ammo all the time with 0 problems. I just put 100 rounds through my 380 last night. 0 issues. Tonight I have to clean it.

Default just

Quote Originally Posted by FrankFuss View Post
    I took my new P380 to the range for beak in. For ammo I started with the cheap stuff, 200 rounds of Federal American Eagle FMJ target ammo. About a third of the time it would fail to go into battery completely, lacking about a 1/16". However, it would go into battery with authority when releasing the slide using the slide stop, so I probably need to try some different ammo. I guess I will stock up on about six different ammo types before the next range session. I am open to any suggestions about what ammo might work well before I place my order.
    give it some more rounds and good lubing. I would call kahr anyway and ask if they would send u a new set of recoil springs to, as u couldjust have a pair of week ass sprngs in there. I can't hurt to ask. ask for Jay.

The little 380 to my knowledge is not that ammo sensitive, but saying that if u find a range fodder round that works great just stick withy it and the same ges for ur defense round. I am fopnd of corbon powerball..

Probably not needed either but if u have any flitz or 600+ grip paper give that feed ramp another good polishing and then roll up that 600+ grip paper around a small dowell or pencil and polish the inside of the chamber. Ur not gonna hurt a damn thing and u just might just smooth out something that is not seen but is there.

check ur grip good to, if in doubt let another good shooter try the gun with the ammo thatis giving issues. If he can duplicate, then u have el;imianted any shooter error. U gotta start somewhere.
    . My PM9 has over 40,000+ rounds through it, and runs much better than an illegal trying to get across our border

NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER

MAY GOD BLESS MUGGSY

Stuff I put through mine without any serious problems:

Winchester White Box FlatNose FMJ
    Magtech Sport 95 Grain FMJ
    Hornady Custom 90 Grain XTP JHP
    Magtech Guardian Gold +P 85 Grain JHP
    Buffalo Bore +P 100 Grain Flat Nose
    Remington Golden Saber 102 Grain Brass JHP

The first two, esp. the WWB, I shoot the most of (regular range stuff); the others -- only a box or two of each so far.

Good luck!

My P380 would not do well at all with 102 golden sabres, so I just moved on to corbon powerball and settled with it after it worked perfect. I ckan't say the 102 gr glden sabre was a heartbreak that it did not work, but I tried a box like so many do to see how it functioned--and it didn't.
    . My PM9 has over 40,000+ rounds through it, and runs much better than an illegal trying to get across our border

NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER

MAY GOD BLESS MUGGSY

Yeah it really looks like they all have their own different quirks... I guess I just got extremely lucky. Or there's probably some types/brands of ammo that mine doesn't like, but I simply haven't run into them yet... (Knocking on wood... )

Still, it is such an excellent, high-quality little pistol.

I have shot around 300 rounds of Sellier & Bellot in my P380 and it has worked great.

I have also tried CCI Blazer aluminum cased (50 rounds) and it works but its loaded light.

Speer Gold Dots are the only SD load I have tried in mine and they work no issues, no complaints.

If one will go back 6 months and reqad the P380 reports, probably one out of 5 worked right. NOw it seems we are seeing a total turn around on this P380. those little fokkers are working as designed and IMO there is just no finer 380 made than the P380 kahr-when it works.

tHE REPORTS LATELY HAVE BEEN FANTASTIC, AND some ofmy thoughts on the P380 that are giving some minour issues cold also now be shooter induced. These gun as so so small that proper grip- is needed, thumps better be away from one particular lever, etc. Nice report Cole 125 u hv enot had to walk in the footsteps of some of the early owners who really wante dto love the P380 but it just would not love them back..

NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER

MAY GOD BLESS MUGGSY

Thanks for the suggestions. I am thinking I just have some minor issue that will be easy to correct. I had cleaned the slide with gun scrubber and lubricated with Eezox. I am thinking that if I did not lube the extractor enough, it might be preventing the round from chambering easily. Also, I agree that polishing the chamber might help this if the round is holding it up.

Overall, I am impressed with the fit and finish of my P380, and I did make sure to get a later serial number (RC60xx).

I bought two over two years apart... and they both had to go back. The first one the day after I got it, unfired, because the front NS was DOA, then later for the slide locking back before empty magazine.
    The latest had a bad extractor... at least. They replaced a passel of parts. I had to look up passel... not sure I've ever written it down before.

I just spent most of the day detailing my wife's 2001 Volvo S40 while she's visiting her mother. Tomorrow I hope to try the Speer Gold Dots in her P380. When she gets back, we need to get to work on getting her CWP so I can get her get-home gear set up for her car.

I still expect that I'll have to swap recoil springs with her P380. Mine's a hard rack for her, but hers is really hard with those new springs.

Wynn
    USAF Retired '88, NRA Life Member. Wife USAF Retired '96
    Avatar: Wynn re-enlists his wife Desiree, circa 1988 Loring AFB, ME. 42nd BMW, Heavy (SAC) B-52G's
    Frédéric Bastiat’s essay, The Law: http://mises.org/books/thelaw.pdf

Thomas Jefferson said

“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.”
    and

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".