Crimsontrace   Mitch Rosen   Xssights   Tommy Gun
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: what do i give up when i get my ccw?

Question what do i give up when i get my ccw?

I just purchased my first hand gun and im planning on getting my Virginia Concealed Carry Permit, and want to know what I give up.

I have heard things such as a drug test, which is understandable. but i also heard that it me getting the permit gives the state the right to drug test me any time that they see fit.

Also i could be subject to random house searches and they can come confinscate the weapon at anytime.

I have done some research and can't seem to find a lot. does anyone know how much of this is true?

This would probably be a good place to start: http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/virginia.pdf
    I've lost my memory, and I can't remember where I put it.

in sc if you carry in a resturant that sells alchohol with a ccw you have commited a felony. if you carry without ccw you have commited a misdemeaner. i thought long and hard before i got mine. with that said i have carried since i was 20 and am now 69 and have never been asked if i was carrying

You can have either a temper or a gun. You may not have both at the same time.

Hey CJM,
    I'm a life long VA resident and Permit holder. You'll give up nothing and simply gain the ability to carry concealed as long as you abide by VA state law. I don't know where you heard this stuff....none of it is true. Exercising your 2nd amendment rights does not void your 4th amendment right protecting you from unreasonable and unwarranted search and seizure. Any law enforcement entity is still required to obtain a warrant supported by probable cause to search your dwelling. Same goes for drug test. If you're suspected of or arrested for a crime however, all bets are off....your home WILL be searched, your firearms confiscated and what ever else LE deems necessary will be done. This link might be a good place to start. Good Luck!

http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms.shtm

Hey CJM,
    I'm a life long VA resident and Permit holder. You'll give up nothing and simply gain the ability to carry concealed as long as you abide by VA state law. I don't know where you heard this stuff....none of it is true. Exercising your 2nd amendment rights does not void your 4th amendment right protecting you from unreasonable and unwarranted search and seizure. Any law enforcement entity is still required to obtain a warrant supported by probable cause to search your dwelling. Same goes for drug test. If you're suspected of or arrested for a crime however, all bets are off....your home WILL be searched, your firearms confiscated and what ever else LE deems necessary will be done. Here's another good link. Good Luck!

http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms.shtm

thanks for the help guys i got pretty discouraged when i heard that i may have to sacrifice my freedom for my security.

ive been reading from what you gave me, but have yet to find anything about the actual application process.

does it just require proof competency, a background check, finger printing and the initial drug test?

im sure it's in there somewhere and im going to keep reading but for now i am taking the easy way out and asking first

When I decided to get a permit I studied everything I found about dos and don'ts.

1. You loose the right to have a drink while carrying, even if you hold your liquor well. If you have any police contact while carrying that involves your gun and they smell booze you are in trouble. That includes traffic stops in a required to notify state.

2. You gain a large burden of crow because even though you CAN take care of a bad situation you are much better off to be humble and back off. It's not so bad though. I've been in a few where I would have lost my temper before but just knowing what I COULD do kept me calm. Weird. but true. A big reason why follows.

3. You are responsible for whatever damage you cause in defense of your life. If somebody shoots at you and you return fire and shoot out a store window you pay for the glass. If you hit anybody other than the person who actually shot at you, you have committed a crime. It's a heavy responsibility.

4. You gain the heavy responsibility to learn and take to heart what happens if you should even justifiably defend yourself with gunfire. You WILL loose your gun into evidence and likely never see it again. You likely will have to engage an attorney unless the DA agrees you are good. However, the bad guys family can and often will file a civil suit so you still need to have an attorney at your expense even if you get off clean. But no sweat, it probably won't be much over $25K.

There's so much more but I don't want to discourage you. You have to decide a couple basic things. One is can you walk away from a bad thing if it is possible? For example, you may witness an armed robbery, somebody getting the stuff kicked out of them, purse snatching, thieves walking away from your car with your stuff. All events that you might engage in if unarmed. But the fact you are armed makes you the heavy in all these cases. You carry to protect you and you family, not others.

That's tough love brother, but I'll do anything to protect my wife, son and his family and I do understand all the above.

If you want to read an excellent thread on scenarios while carrying read this thread in another forum. I would skip any about zombies invading but there are plenty that relate actual events asking what would you do. This gets you thinking about it and reading other replies gives you insight.
    •"Everything will be okay in the end. If it's not okay, it's not the end." - O. L.
    • "America's not at war; her military is. America's at the mall."

Quote Originally Posted by OldLincoln View Post
    There's so much more but I don't want to discourage you. You have to decide a couple basic things. One is can you walk away from a bad thing if it is possible? For example, you may witness an armed robbery, somebody getting the stuff kicked out of them, purse snatching, thieves walking away from your car with your stuff. All events that you might engage in if unarmed. But the fact you are armed makes you the heavy in all these cases. You carry to protect you and you family, not others.
    Is all of this true? In my CPL class we were instructed that we are allowed to protect our lives or the lives of others under immediate deadly force threat or sexual assault. We are not allowed to protect ours or others property (purse snatching, thieves taking stuff from your car) and this is where a lot of CPL/CCW holders get themselves in trouble.

Default odd

Quote Originally Posted by kahrnut1 View Post
    in sc if you carry in a resturant that sells alchohol with a ccw you have commited a felony. if you carry without ccw you have commited a misdemeaner. i thought long and hard before i got mine. with that said i have carried since i was 20 and am now 69 and have never been asked if i was carrying
    I started carrying at 18 and now age 68, and never been asked if I carry.

Now hereinIndiana u can go in a bar and drink and have a gun on u andno felony, unless u actually commit a felony.

I don' worryt aobut that anymore, I quit hard drinkin years ago, now I carry anywhgere that is legal by state law. again common sense goes a long way.
    . My PM9 has over 40,000+ rounds through it, and runs much better than an illegal trying to get across our border

NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER

MAY GOD BLESS MUGGSY