Magnum Research new   Xssights   Crimsontrace   Mitch Rosen
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: want a P380 but..

Default want a P380 but..

Thank you all in advance for any input!

I am set on a 380 pocket rocket. I am set on something that has a slide lock and locks back on last round. I would like something that is DAO striker fire with no manual safety. I do not want an integrated laser.

These stipulations lead me to it seems only two choices. The Taurus and the Kahr. I hear too many questionable things about the CS and QC that Taurus provides.

I keep leaning toward the Kahr but am afraid to drop that much money on it for a few reasons:

I heard too many things it seems concerning reliability; in particular during the break in period (FTF, FTF, FTRTB etc)

Is it true that you cannot slingshot the slide to chamber the first round and that you must instead use the slide release? I am new to this game but hear that when it comes to tactical defense that to chamber a round via slingshot vs slide-release is preferred based on the sling-shot method being a rough motor skill vs using the slide release being a fine motor skill.

I currently have an M&P FS 9 and Compact 9 that both have over 2K rounds with zero malfunctions. I am set on a pocket rocket 380 for the days when I won't carry the 9C.

I would consider the bodyguard or the LCP but the BG has the manual safety and the laser, neither of which I want. The LCP does not have a slide that locks back upon last round.

Decisions Decisions. Thank you all in advance for any input!

My 2 cents would be to go with either the cm9 or pm9... not much bigger than the p380, can conceal both my cm9 and p380 no prob, and could use the same ammo in all three of ur guns. But if ur dead set on a .380 the kahr would be a good choice. As far as the sling shot thing goes, most of my kahrs will slingshot a round after they have been broken in 200-300 rnds...seems like the smaller they are the less they want to slingshot (.380 included)...

I don't have a .380, don't really want a .380. But if I were considering one, hands down it'd be the Kahr. I used to (way back in the day) want a Colt Mustang...now the sig P238. But futzing with a safety is not on my list of things to do when push comes to shove, or shoot. When I transitioned from primarily revolvers to semi-autos, initially the P380 was on the list, but after looking at the size of Kahr 9mm pistols, the PM9 and ultimately the P9 were way more to my liking.

Anyway, in general, the answer to your sling-shot question is NO, not on a Kahr. After thousands of rounds, it becomes somewhat more possible, but in general not. It's designed as a carry gun, to be carried w/ a round in the chamber which I would NEVER not do w/ any gun...always carried chambered. Anyway, point is there is no point in the sling shot method. I don't ever use it. If you like/want to, to each his own, but the Kahr is going to make you cuss if you go that route and expect that to work reliably. It will not.

If you want to slingshot every reload, might as well get the Ruger, no point in slide locking back if you are doing that w/ a mag change. No real difference in slingshotting w/ the slide back or forward IMO.

There are probably more issues w/ the P380 than any other Kahr I personally have seen in my travels here and elsewhere on web reviews. It's mostly due to the short feed ramp and little space available to chamber a round. I'd say it's still the best 380 out there once broken in. But I'm a Kahr-nut. So take that for what it's worth.

I'm sure some P380 owners that have also owned the others will jump in here w/ better info.

I have owned several M&Ps and a BG380. I have 2 CM9s and just purchased a P380. I had some issues with the P380, but they are solved now. I still have one M&P9c. IMO...the BG380 is scary unreliable. The Kahrs CAN BE scary RELIABLE. I will put my life on the line with my M&P9c, CM9 or P380 tomorrow and any other day. I can slingshot all of my Kahrs. Feel free to ask anything.

I am def. set on getting a 380; I'm not willing to go down to a 32 but want something as small as possible; as in something that I can literally toss into a pair of board shorts with a pocket holster. I have heard some good things about the Sig but that seems to be on the upper end of size when it comes to pocket 380s and I'm not keen on it being SA. I myself address the rough motor skill argument by thinking it is a not a rough, but a fine motor skill, when it comes to racking a slide on a pocket 380, given size; at which point that argument goes out the window. I have used a friends BG and put 150 through with zero issues for a total of 500 with zero issues. It seems to me (and I have read many many reviews) that all of the pocket size 380s, regardless of manufacturer, seem to have their issues; seem to be hit and miss. I assume it is just tougher to manufacture a gun of such small size with such reliability. You hear one report saying mine is 100% reliable and another saying mine sucks. I've honestly been driving myself nuts for weeks with this....I am self-proclaimed one indecisive SOB

I have not yet shot a P380 or any Kahr btw. I handled a P380 in store and was concerned by how light the recoil spring seemed; seemed as though that one barely would return to battery by a simple racking of the slide....

It is true that .380 pistols seem to all have their fair share of problems, have owned a few from different makers and haven't had any probs with mine. Had the sig p238, and the kahr p380...The kahr carried much better than the sig but the sig seemed to shoot a lil better for me. If you go with the kahr I def reccomend carrying with a round in the chamber, thats how they were designed and are perfectly safe...If you carry that way the only motor skill to worry about is trigger control...

I have the P380 & a PM9. Both have been flawless & both will slingshot. The PM9 would not @ first, but does now. My P380 has never malfunctioned one time. Guess I'm just lucky! Recoil is nothing in the P380 compared to the LCP & other .380's I have shot.

I purchased an all black Kahr P380 about a month ago. I now have about 450 rounds through it. I had a couple of fail to battery's and premature slide locks during the first 100 rounds as can be expected during break in. The fail to battery issues worked them selves out before 200 rounds. I polished my slide release lever where it meets the magazine with a dremel to resolve the premature slide lock issue. I am very happy with my purchase. Last 250 rounds have been flawless. Much less felt recoil than with an LCP or Taurus due to locked breach. Haven't tried the body guard. I put a crimson trace laser on it. I did not like the manual on off of the laser that comes with the Bodyguard.

Default If

Quote Originally Posted by skiphreak View Post
    Thank you all in advance for any input!

I am set on a 380 pocket rocket. I am set on something that has a slide lock and locks back on last round. I would like something that is DAO striker fire with no manual safety. I do not want an integrated laser.

These stipulations lead me to it seems only two choices. The Taurus and the Kahr. I hear too many questionable things about the CS and QC that Taurus provides.

I keep leaning toward the Kahr but am afraid to drop that much money on it for a few reasons:

I heard too many things it seems concerning reliability; in particular during the break in period (FTF, FTF, FTRTB etc)

Is it true that you cannot slingshot the slide to chamber the first round and that you must instead use the slide release? I am new to this game but hear that when it comes to tactical defense that to chamber a round via slingshot vs slide-release is preferred based on the sling-shot method being a rough motor skill vs using the slide release being a fine motor skill.

I currently have an M&P FS 9 and Compact 9 that both have over 2K rounds with zero malfunctions. I am set on a pocket rocket 380 for the days when I won't carry the 9C.

I would consider the bodyguard or the LCP but the BG has the manual safety and the laser, neither of which I want. The LCP does not have a slide that locks back upon last round.

Decisions Decisions. Thank you all in advance for any input!
    u have no intentions of carrying a spare magazine for the 380 lcp, them IMO that slide lock issue is IMO not an issue, if u can't do the job in 7 rounds your probably dead already... It is certainly not needed IMO on such a smallass gun. It ain't a range gun, per say. the lcp is a fine gun, it will go bang, it is very affordable. It is not the P380 like a kahr which I think when they are runing right there is nothing in its class. I owned the lcp and the P380, I love the P380 but it is 2x as expesnisve and I could care less if it had the slide lock last round thing, sometimes just another thing that can go wrong to. both will save ur life.

I shoot my P380 far better than the lcp. I like the option of night sights on my P380 to. I am a kahr fan but I certainly would not put down the lcp. My son shoots his lcp far better than I ever did, so it ain't the gun
    . My PM9 has over 40,000+ rounds through it, and runs much better than an illegal trying to get across our border

NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER

MAY GOD BLESS MUGGSY