Crimsontrace   Tommy Gun   CrossBreed Holsters   Mitch Rosen
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Reloading equipment

Default Reloading equipment

What brand of reloading equipment would you folks recommend;
    hornady, lee, etc.....
    Thanks!

Lee's dies are less expensive than others, from what I've seen, so I use them in my Lyman T-Mag II single stage turret press.

I have a Lee Turret Press. Got a great deal on a kit at Cabela's - Press, scale, funnel, Primer auto-feed, Auto-disk powder measure, and a few tools. I think I paid just over $100 for the whole deal. It makes my cartridges and they go bang (every time except one with a dead primer). The only thing you would need to buy at that point would be the die set, powder, and whatever components you will reload (go for the carbide dies; they are more expensive, but you don't need to use case lube then).
    That being said, I have had some annoying little things with it that make me wonder if I would have been happier with an RCBS set-up. Of course, I was new to reloading when I bought this, and these little things may just be part of the process. Most folks who buy one have nothing but good things to say.
    Cabela's has the kit on sale for $114.95 (link below). If you don't live near a Cabela's, they usually run free or very cheap shipping specials.
    Also, there are a lot of helpful videos and info out there in case you don't have an experienced reloader to help you (that was my situation). There is also a very helpful Board called the Handloaders Bench. I got a great deal of help there, and they are friendly folks, just like this Board.
    Enjoy, and let me know if you have any questions.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Lee-D...h-All+Products

Actually, when you go to that link, it says there is free shipping on orders over $99, so you're good to go if you want.

Definitely get carbide dies. Case lube is a royal pain. I am partial to Lee reloaders.
    Wake Up...Grow Up...Show Up...Sit Up...Shut Up...Listen Up

I like Lee Dies, however for the actual press I have both Lyman and RCBS. Both are built like a rock outouse. My Lyman "C" press is over 36 years old and as good as the day I bought it. For my rifle loading I now use my RCBS "Rock Chucker"...you might want to look into either a turrent press or a simple progressive press if you are going to shoot alot, especialy for pistols.

I used the RCBS Rockchucker set up for many many years and still do for rifle or testing loads.
    Couple years ago I got a Hornady LockNLoad progressive. It's the cats posterior and I wish I'd got it long long ago. Very good machine.

Carbide dies for sure. A digital scale is nice but the old balance beam works ok too.

I like hand priming using a Lee tool which I can't do with the progressive but I still use it on the single stage.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

I have the Hornady Lock n Load Kit. Now I just need the confidence to try it. LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    NRA Member.."Please support, if you don't already"
    "Punish the deed, not the breed"
    "I'd much rather go to my grave never needing my gun, than go there wishing I had it."

Quote Originally Posted by pitandkahr View Post
    I have the Hornady Lock n Load Kit. Now I just need the confidence to try it. LOL

if you can read and follow directions, you'll be fine. The bullets won't make themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by pitandkahr View Post

Don't sweat it. Start with load data on the lower end of the spectrum and you'll be fine. The only one I was ever nervous about was the first one I made. After that, just be patient and don't do anything extreme. You'll be fine.