CrossBreed Holsters   Tommy Gun   Mitch Rosen   Magnum Research new
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Froggy's non-biased CM9 review

Default Froggy's non-biased CM9 review

Hey guys new to the forum and new to Kahr so I thought I would throw together a little review of my experience with my new CM9.

I will start off with a little background info. on myself. I have been shooting (mostly pistols, Glocks, Springfield, Sigs, S&W and Kel Tec) for the last ten years or so, nothing competitive just going to range or wilderness on the weekends and throwing some hot lead down range. I have no formal training and have been self taught for the most part and until today have never owned nor fired a Karh Pistol.

Over the last 6 months I have been looking for something small to replace my Kel Tec PF-9. To be considered it needed to be small enough to throw in a pocket if needed, 9mm in caliber (already own a pocket 380) and had to be reliable. I had read many (I think everyone of them on the net) reviews on the Karh PM9 and CM9 and although there are many great reviews as you know there are a good amount of negative reviews as well, just enough of them to make me a little hesitant on purchasing one. So I decided that I would do it the right way and head to the range to do some renting and a little shooting. I arrived at the range with range bag loaded with 500 rounds with the hope of testing a few sub-compact nines. However as my luck would have it no small Kahrs, only a PF-9 (already own one), G26 (own one of these too) and a Sig P290 (already had shot one of these and had been ruled out).

So what to do??

Hop in the car drive a couple of blocks to the LGS and purchase myself a new CM9 run home do a quick clean and lube then back to the range we go.

If I was told at this point that I was long winded and to wrap it up, my simple and short of it would be “ I was AMAZED” but let me take it a little further and tell you what I really liked about the gun and why it will be my new pocket gun.

First one of the things that I read most often on negative reviews on was issues with FTF or FTE’s. This really was one of the things that had me a little concerned; however I can report 0 FTF’s or FTE’s after 256 rounds.

100 rounds Independence 115gr FMJ
    100 rounds Sellier & Bellot 125gr FMJ
    50 rounds Winchester 115gr FMJ

6 rounds Remington Golden Saber JHP (found in bottom of range bag)

Next on my list was felt recoil. One of my big things with a carry gun is, shoot it often!! In my opinion you should master the firearm that you carry for a SD. The only way to really do this is shoot it a lot and under different circumstances (lighting etc.). I had originally purchased the Kel Tec PF-9 for my front pocket; however it did not feel good in my hand as was pretty punchy. This led me not wanting to shoot more than 100 rounds at a time. The CM9 shoots and feels great, yes it has a little snap but it is a light weight 9mm pistol and I can gladly report my hand was not sore after the 256 rounds.
    I do however have a sore spot on my middle finger. This seems to have been caused by front stippling (if you will) under the trigger guard. This is no concern with me as I can easily fix this with a Hogue Grip Sleeve or a Talon grip.

And last of my main concerns was accuracy, we all know that statistically speaking if we ever find ourselves in a gun battle it’s going to be up close and personal . Today all shooting was done at 15 yards non supported weaver stance.

This one, sold me on the gun This was the first 6 rounds I fired through my new baby

This one was multiple magazines about 125 rounds into it with a little less time between shots.

All I can really say is the gun shoot were you point it.

So that’s it, that’s all I have. Like I said the CM9 is defiantly a keeper.

Oh one more thing, the only glitch the gun had was out of all of the mags I fired I did have two times that the slide did not stay open on the last round fired.

Welcome aboard and congrats on the new purchase! Its probably the perfect carry gun (for me at least) and mine shares all of your positive points...

Just ordered crimson trace TGL for mine, should be here in a few days...

Anyway, enjoy!
    I have been told I have OCD but I call it CDO because the letters have to be in strict alphabetical order...

Welcome aboard, Froggy. Thanks for the CM9 range report. Sounds like you'll have smooth sailing with your new Kahr.
    "Tolerance is a virtue of a man who has no convictions." - G.K. Chesterton

“In any compromise between food and poison, it is only death that can win.” – Ayn Rand

Welcome to the forum! And welcome to the CM9 Owners Club! Our official symbol is the wide grin smily because we are so happy with our purchase that we can't wipe the smile off our faces! So, here is your club badge.

You can put two thin strips of hockey tape on the front and back of the grip to tame what we call the cheese graters. Or put a rubber grip sleeve on it. I like the Qwik-Grip because it is thin, has no palm swell and no finger grooves.
    Very interesting...

Welcome to the forum Froggy, glad your CM9 worked out so well for you. Seems like very few have problems with them.
    Tom
    Live today, tomorrow may not come!
    Boberg XR9S
    Kahr CW40
    Springfield Armory 1911
    Dan Wesson Revolver

HY*NDAI is to cars, what Caracal, Hi-Point, and Jennings is to handguns. The cars may or may not run ok, but the corporation SUCKS.

Thanks for all of the warm welcomes

Very happy with my new purchase. Now its time to pick up a 2nd mag.

Welcome aboard, Froggy. Great report... I'm glad you got a good one. It's easy to get discouraged on the first outing when you have malfunctions. That was great shooting on the first magazine, especially since you hadn't shot a Kahr before.

Unless you need the bulk, a bike tube grip tames all of the Kahrs and is inexpensive. I put the tube grip covers on ALL of our Kahrs. It gives a great tactile feeling and doesn't add bulk.

I would suggest at least 2 spares, as a precaution to always have 2 available. Ivanhoe Warehouse is one of the better places to buy mags and only charges $5 for your whole order and uses USPS Priority.

They stick out, but I use the K920G, 8-round extended grip for spare carry and range use. I've never had a problem with the K920G's. I CCW with the smallest mag for concealability:

http://kahrtalk.com/showthread.php?t...=9mm+magazines

http://www.ivanhoeoutlet.com/shop/in...t_detail&p=947

Wynn
    USAF Retired '88, NRA Life Member. Wife USAF Retired '96
    Avatar: Wynn re-enlists his wife Desiree, circa 1988 Loring AFB, ME. 42nd BMW, Heavy (SAC) B-52G's
    Frédéric Bastiat’s essay, The Law: http://mises.org/books/thelaw.pdf

Thomas Jefferson said

“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.”
    and

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

wyntrout thank you for the great resources..

I was having some last shot hold open issues when I first started shooting my CM9. Come to find out it was operator error. Being such a small grip my thumb was touching the slide stop/release lever just enough to keep it from engaging at the end of each mag. After paying better attention to my thumb location I've had no further issues in about 500 or so rounds.

Welcome to KahrTalk.

Great range report. Great shooting.
    "I hate quotations. Tell me what you know."
    Ralph Waldo Emerson