Crimsontrace   Tommy Gun Shop   Magnum Research new   CrossBreed Holsters
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: slides/frames on TP9 and P9, mine seem to be interchangeable

Default slides/frames on TP9 and P9, mine seem to be interchangeable

So, this has been discussed in a couple threads over the years. I had never tried it, but out of sheer boredom today (i should be working) I pulled them out of my range bag and tried swapping parts around. I blame my recent Sig P250 purchase and the desire to have interchangeable parts between guns.

Anyway...

My TP9 slide fits right on my P9 frame, seems to fully cycle. Pretty much makes the original TP9 w/ the shorter grip.

Conversely, and actually more interesting to me is what I'll call a P9 'commander' model. My P9 slide fits and fully cycles on the TP9 frame. I find that REALLY COOL. It would look awesome if I cut the end of the TP9 frame down a bit, which I'm not. I guess because of the serial number, you can't just order a TP9 frame from Kahr. But it'd be slick.

I guess I might try them both at the range, but I expect they'd both be fine. The slides come completely back, cock, etc. No expectation they wouldn't function and fire.

...back to work...

possably the poolymer kahrs might indeed swap within certain models. U cannot do that with the steel version via working on the polymer models. I have no doubts the cm9 and PM9 slides are interchangeable
    . My PM9 has over 40,000+ rounds through it, and runs much better than an illegal trying to get across our border

NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER

MAY GOD BLESS MUGGSY

I'm a little concerned only because at least one other member here (ripley) reported in another TP9 thread that his TP/P were NOT interchangeable, his slide wouldn't go completely on (TP slide on the P9 frame). Someone had asked about making an 'original' TP platform w/ the shorter grip for better concealment. So, not sure I want to put an actual round thru it to find out it breaks my gun or injures me...but I can't see how...seems totally fine (famous last words...watch this).

I really like the look of the shorter slide on the longer grip. Looks tough. But I'd have to be able to get an extra TP frame somehow. No way I'm going to cut my TP frame down. Given that the frame is the serial number, not likely to happen.

other than it being different if u did the mods, it would IMO not really prove alot.

The fact that u don't wannt put a round through it, kinda tells me ur also not conviinced it would do no harm. Smart move on your part, IMO.

UPut um back together like they were made, and just shoot um like u stole it. U cannot buy another frame either. u can buy another gun but a no-no on the frame..
    . My PM9 has over 40,000+ rounds through it, and runs much better than an illegal trying to get across our border

NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER

MAY GOD BLESS MUGGSY

Quote Originally Posted by chrish View Post
    I'm a little concerned only because at least one other member here (ripley) reported in another TP9 thread that his TP/P were NOT interchangeable, his slide wouldn't go completely on (TP slide on the P9 frame)
    This is correct. I'll add that my P9 is an older model and my TP9 is much newer. Perhaps this is why mine did not meld together. The barrel lugs on my barrels differ in shape and size, making them incompatable.
    Judging by today's left wing, looks like Senator Joe McCarthy was right after all.

Yep, that's probably it. My barrel lugs are exactly the same.

But I'm definitely leaving well enough alone, just found it curious and kinda neat...a 'commander' version, longer grip/shorter barrel. But as jocko said, just going to keep shootin em like i stole em and not worry about it. I'll save my interchanging fix for the Sig and some upcoming exchange kits.

I have an original TP-9 with the short P frame and just love how it feels in my hand and how easily it conceals on my person. It's a definate keeper!

While visiting my daughter's family, my son in law and I were talking about him getting him a Kahr for conceal carry. He's pretty much settled on the P9 for its size even though he likes how my TP feels.

During our coversation he ask me about the length of the grip on my TP. I was a little puzzled but told him that it was the same as the standard P, that is when he brought up the internet and show me on the Kahr's site that they changed this wonderful pistol's grip length.

Production or conceal carry market wise I don't see the sense of producing a polymer frame with the grip length of the Tactical for a conceal carry piece.

Can some one explain to me what is/was on Kahr mind that they felt it necessary to increase the size of the grip?

Only reasoning that comes to mind is that the extra half inch in the barrel doesnt help accuracy that much, but the extra grip gives you an extra round and it keeps the tp in line with the all metal t series. I dont find it any less concealable, its smaller than anything other than the rest of the kahr line and a few others here and there. The original tp was just a p basically, so my guess was they saw them as the same gun and decided to differentiate them more.

PICTURE!!!!! (please)

This was my daily carry combo (still carry the knifes) for the last 6 or 7 years, up to the time a couple months ago, before I got a Chiappa Rhino 200DS .357 mag. I still carry it when I'm knocking around in my jeans and a lose shirt, tucking it in my waste band being a convinent and easy way to conceal it. While a 1/2 inch isn't much in the scheme of things, if 5" inches doesn't matter then why not carry a full size 1911 with a 5-1/4" height. When it come to concealibility IMO a 1/2" does matter