Crimsontrace   Magnum Research new   Tommy Gun   Kahr Shop
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Maverick 88 Security 8 shot

Ok...im on my phone at work and a lot to reply to. Thanks for all of your advice. After all of that I'm considering keeping it stock plus a pressure switch light only.

However, I'm split on the M4 collapsable stock with the pistol grip now. Some seem for and some seem against it. Why?

I'm also now considering the 20Ga which I haden't before.

Should I get the 1.5" shorter barrel and sacrifice 2 extra rounds that I PROBABLY wouldn't need? My thought is that the 1.5" won't be enough to matter, and I'd rather just have 2 extra rounds. Opinions?

I'll have to look up those other guns when I have more time. I like the thought of the pump. With a little practice, it cycles as fast as a semi with less mechanically to go wrong. So it'll just take some range time. Besides, knowing my wife she'd forget about that "thingy that sticks out where the shells come out" and the boom stick would just click lol. I'm also on low income, so keeping it cheap is important to me. That's what draws me to the 88. I don't mind the safety, although I do prefer the tang safety on my moss 500a. (its a long barreled turkey gun in camo. I dont wanna put money into it to modify it, just to look like a piece of patchwork.)
    Kahr PM9094 - Hornady Critical Defense

Marlin 30-30
    Mossberg 500A 12 GA
    Marlin .22LR

I picked up a youth model 870 at a gun show for around $200. It hold 5, 2 3/4 inch shells. It's small enough to manuever thru the house with, but has all the firepower I think I need. I got it for the wife for defense, and my son to shoot clays with, but the wife showed no interest in it, so I kept it after the divorce, and keep it handy by my bed. Right now it's loaded with #4 birdshot, and I have some 3" magnum BB shot for it too, but that cuts the capacity down to 4 shells. It's an inexpensive alternative to those home defense shotguns. Plus fun to hunt quail and dove with.
    Tom
    Live today, tomorrow may not come!
    Boberg XR9S
    Kahr CW40
    Springfield Armory 1911
    Dan Wesson Revolver

HY*NDAI is to cars, what Caracal, Hi-Point, and Jennings is to handguns. The cars may or may not run ok, but the corporation SUCKS.

Quote Originally Posted by MO_Soldier View Post
    Ok...im on my phone at work and a lot to reply to. Thanks for all of your advice. After all of that I'm considering keeping it stock plus a pressure switch light only.

However, I'm split on the M4 collapsable stock with the pistol grip now. Some seem for and some seem against it. Why?

Should I get the 1.5" shorter barrel and sacrifice 2 extra rounds that I PROBABLY wouldn't need? My thought is that the 1.5" won't be enough to matter, and I'd rather just have 2 extra rounds. Opinions?

I'll have to look up those other guns when I have more time. I like the thought of the pump. With a little practice, it cycles as fast as a semi with less mechanically to go wrong. So it'll just take some range time. Besides, knowing my wife she'd forget about that "thingy that sticks out where the shells come out" and the boom stick would just click lol. I'm also on low income, so keeping it cheap is important to me. That's what draws me to the 88. I don't mind the safety, although I do prefer the tang safety on my moss 500a. (its a long barreled turkey gun in camo. I dont wanna put money into it to modify it, just to look like a piece of patchwork.)
    You should be able to pick up a slug barrel for your 500a I'd guess for around a 100 bucks. You'd have a camo gun with a blued barrel but the bad guy your wife is dealing with I'm sure won't be concerned with the fashion statement.
    Not sure if there's a camo slug barrel available or not, probably more money if there is one for the paint job.
    I think the M4 collapsible might be ok and allow her more adjustment on pull. I'd probably give that a try.
    Shotguns with a pistol grip only are totally worthless in my infinitely small mind.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

I, too, am pondering the purchase of a home defense shotgun. I have qualified and narrowed the field with the decision to go for a semi-auto in 20 guage. Here is what I am looking seriously at:
    the Weatherby SA-459™ TR.

Very interesting...

... I don't mind the safety, although I do prefer the tang safety on my moss 500a...
    If you do go with a pistol grip style stock, a trigger guard safety is a lot more convenient operate than a tang mounted one.
    Regards,
    Greg

...However, I'm split on the M4 collapsable stock with the pistol grip now. Some seem for and some seem against it. Why?

Should I get the 1.5" shorter barrel and sacrifice 2 extra rounds that I PROBABLY wouldn't need? My thought is that the 1.5" won't be enough to matter, and I'd rather just have 2 extra rounds. Opinions?...

The M4 stock was concived for a Male shooting a mild kicking .223 round in combat, with the juices flowing. The combo of a Lady (even scared) an M4 stock and grip and a SD 12gage load would be a bad combo. I agree on the 20gage but I would go for a 18 1/2 bbl and a Speed Feed (or like) stock for "me Lady"...
    Train her on 7/8th oz skeet loads and she'll do fine.

You also stated that you have the "Turkey gun" already. I know it might seem like your mucking with it, but you already own it and a BBL and stock set might be cheaper than a whole new gun. The one you own would work good, unless she plans to hunt Turkey while your overseas...

My wife shoots trap and skeet with her own 11-87 and momma don't want no whimp loads. Your wife might stand up to more than she thinks... (Shrug). You can get some Win AA lites skeet loads with 1oz of #8 shot that my grandma could shoot (recoil wise). These would do okay for "in the house" type SD stuff. As I said in another thread I'm sitting next to Six flats of the stuff (1500 shells). It's only bird shot, but it's alot of birdshot, zombie hordes be danged.

Good luck and Thanks for your Service.
    I was once asked if I was "a paranoid for carrying my Kahr".
    "Nope" I said, "just prepared".
    " prepared for what" he asked?
    "more stuff than you are"
    God Bless our Troups!

That combo stock in the picture is quite a bit like the one I have on my MB crusier. Gives you the best of both worlds.
    To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.

SHOOT STRAIGHT, RIDE SAFE

Just one more thought here. I bought my son and his new wife a simple H&R single shot 20gage, sawed off to 18 3/4 at a local pawnshop for $90 bucks, out the door. Bought an Uncle Mikes elastic ammo holder for the stock and a box of five buckshot loads at the local Academy sports and they were ready for SD work for under $115, counting my gas. The new Daughter-in-law had never even fired a .22 in her life. We went to the pattern board at my shotgun club, rolled out some paper and backed up 15ft (the longest shot they could make in their apartment). The gun shot fine making a pattern of shot under a foot in dia with NO choke.
    My Daughter-in-law did great learning to shoot and reload from the shoulder, in less than a box of 7/8oz skeeters. Easy, cheap and utterly effective in a house. They still have it and depend on it today.

My next SD shotgun is here: http://www.stoegerindustries.com/fir...le-defense.php

Also see this vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhgwHQCJwWw

And the man himself, KISS in all thing SD...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I was once asked if I was "a paranoid for carrying my Kahr".
    "Nope" I said, "just prepared".
    " prepared for what" he asked?
    "more stuff than you are"
    God Bless our Troups!

Quote Originally Posted by JFootin View Post
    I, too, am pondering the purchase of a home defense shotgun. I have qualified and narrowed the field with the decision to go for a semi-auto in 20 guage. Here is what I am looking seriously at:
    the Weatherby SA-459™ TR.

See my post above about the Mossberg SA20.

By most accounts, its the same gun with minor differences. I dont know what the Weatherby will run, but you may save a few bucks.

I picked up the SA20 Bantam for under $300 at a show.

Ok...so I think im looking up barrels and stocks for my 500a now. Before I was never confident enough, but now with a bunch of pundits like yourselves, im ready to take this on.

I took my Dow rod out, so now I'm packin 5+1 with my 500.

Now for a barrel...I want to be able to fire slugs, buckshot, rubber bullets, and bean bags. Do I get a rifled 18.5" barrel or a plain 18.5" barrel? I found some for around $90.

I will just check pawn stores locally or something for stocks that will fit I think.
    What is that speed loader stock you guys mentioned? I have only seen pics and it didnt seem like anything special.
    Kahr PM9094 - Hornady Critical Defense

Marlin 30-30
    Mossberg 500A 12 GA
    Marlin .22LR