Mitch Rosen   Tommy Gun   Magnum Research new   Kahr Shop
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: CW45 and reloads

Default CW45 and reloads

Hello I am new here and I considering getting a CW45 and was wondering if anyone had any feedback on who it runs with reloads. I currently shoot cast lead only. My 45 load is a 230gr RN behind 5.8grs of Unique.

Of course I can alter the load but I do want to stick with lead cast.

Anyone have any luck with reloads and CW45?

Never used reloads in my CW45. Fact is I am not fond of reloads in any semi auto.
    Wake Up...Grow Up...Show Up...Sit Up...Shut Up...Listen Up

Do you mind if I ask why you do not like them in autos? I have had great success in many different auto

Poor quality crimping, inconsistency in accuracy and velocities. Almost all pistol reloads are for plinking and the need to get the price of shooting down to an area of affordability. Most rifle loaders excercise extreme care in their loads. My experience with handgun reloads is quantity over quality.

Catostrophic kabooms virtually never happen with factory ammo. Reloads are kabooms waiting to happen. There are really only two kinds of reloaders those that have had an overcharge kaboom and those that will.

I don't have a CW45 but I do use my reloads in my 1911, CZ 9mm and CW9. In fact after the first 75 rounds of factory FMJ in my 1911 and in my CW9, lead is the only thing they've had with very good results.

There are a few here that do use their reloads with the CW45 and they should be along shortly.

I would say to do a plunk test first as your CW45 might like a shorter (or longer) OAL than your other 45s.
    On the internet, the number of posts do not correlate to actual knowledge.
    The notch is supposed to be there as well as the bulge at the front of the frame!
    You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws.

Reloads are all I shoot in my CW45 and CM9. The 45 I use 4gr of Bullseye under 230gr hardcast and Berry's. I haven't had any real problems once I got the length for the cast figured out. I have 1900 45ACP on hand at the moment. I also have 2000 rounds of 9mm loaded and ready to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Longitude Zero View Post
    Poor quality crimping, inconsistency in accuracy and velocities. Almost all pistol reloads are for plinking and the need to get the price of shooting down to an area of affordability. Most rifle loaders excercise extreme care in their loads. My experience with handgun reloads is quantity over quality.

Catostrophic kabooms virtually never happen with factory ammo. Reloads are kabooms waiting to happen. There are really only two kinds of reloaders those that have had an overcharge kaboom and those that will.
    Those are pretty broad statements. I reload for my pistols and I exercise extreme caution during my reloading operations for my peace of mind and health!
    The notch is supposed to be there as well as the bulge at the front of the frame!

Broad statements maybe so, or maybe not it all. It really depends upon your worldview. I know folks who will spend 8 hours loading 50 rounds of rifle ammo. They want each cartridge to vary by no more than 1% to all the others.

When they reload pistol ammo it is crank them out as fast as possible. The only real reason to reload hangun ammo is to shoot more for less. Handgun hunters excepted.

If the cost of a reload was 90% or more of the cost of new, reloading would be the province of ?????. When I can get quality white box factory ammo for only pennies more than reloads then reloads make ZERO economic sense for me. My time is more valuable than that. I see it as mostly an issue of economics nothing more nothing less.

I believe it voids the warranty to shoot reloads in a Kahr. I've had good luck with them in my 1911's, and revolvers. I shoot mostly WWB for practice, I don't think they are much more expensive than shooting reloads, especially if you count the time spent reloading. I only have single stage press, so takes me longer than those with the nice Dillon presses that can crank out a bunch if just a few minutes. I've been fortunate enough not to have any kabooms, but I did have a squib reload in my .44 magnum. Somehow I didn't get the powder in before I seated the bullet.
    Tom
    Live today, tomorrow may not come!
    Boberg XR9S
    Kahr CW40
    Springfield Armory 1911
    Dan Wesson Revolver

HY*NDAI is to cars, what Caracal, Hi-Point, and Jennings is to handguns. The cars may or may not run ok, but the corporation SUCKS.

So as to return this thread to the original OP's post, I'll make only one more comment to your last post Longitude Zero then that's it for me.

If my reloads cost in the range of 90% of cheap white box; I'd continue to reload, but they don't cost 90%. For the 45 ACP my cost per round is right at 12.5 cents per round or $6.25 per 50 for my target loads. These shoot better and are more accurate than factory any day of the week. Cheapest 45 ACP factory around here is running near $20.00 per 50 with tax or 40 cents per round. So yeah the economy of scale for my rounds is greater than a "few pennies". My reloads that mimic my carry ammo cost 20 cents per round. Care to guess how much I save there? (I'll tell you any way, 80 cents.)

Remember, this is a hobby for me and not a major factor in my life. Plus, I have the time to do it. Better than watching TV that's for sure.

thetmanski - don't ask, don't tell