Kahr Shop   Magnum Research new   Tommy Gun Shop   Crimsontrace
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on a CW9 vs an M&P Shield

Default Thoughts on a CW9 vs an M&P Shield

Hello all, recently joined your fine community here and so far very impressed with the professionalism. I am looking at getting a new small concealable 9mm for IWB carry. I am debating between S&W shield and the KAHR.

I have previously owned a PM9 and it did have some bark to it nothing I couldn't handle. I wanted something with a little extra grip that was still very small and slim. I have held the shield and it fits my hand great but so does the KAHR. Ultimately I would like a P9 but I wanted to compare two that were very close in price range. Does anyone out there have any actual TRIGGER TIME on both of these guns to render an opinion. Also what are some of your thoughts on the CW9/p9 size in how it recoils. Specifically in comparison to let’s say the PM9 since I have shot that. Any input would be appreciated thanks guys!

My friend allowed me to shoot his Shield after an IDPA two weeks ago. None of my guns have a safety, and the Shield does. I'd say the S&W trigger pull is a little shorter, a tad shorter. Good ergos, which I think many like.

However with the Hoague grip that I have on my CW40, I'd say the ergos are about equal. But I'd take the Kahr hands down as a carry piece. It goes on more trips than my baby glock.

Having owned a CM9 and CW9, the CW is a more enjoyable shooter. I have not fired a Shield. Also keep in mind the CW9's barrel is 1/2" LONGER than the Shield's in a package that's .2" SHORTER! Not to mentiom lighter.

http://www.kahr.com/Pistols/Kahr-CW9.asp

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/w...1_757781_image

cm9 is just one hell of a gun, if ur thinking of pocket carrty , that is the gun to have, if ur gonna waste band carry the cw9 would be my choice. I carry my PM9 in my front pocket in a uncle mikes #3 and have for over 5years. none better IMO.
    . My PM9 has over 40,000+ rounds through it, and runs much better than an illegal trying to get across our border

NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER

MAY GOD BLESS MUGGSY

--Radman, in your opinion other then the obvious differences that kahr lists between the CW and P series and the PM and CM series. Are the economy ones still good quility over time when they get some rounds through them? How many do you think you put through them

--Jocko, NICE! yea that was the conclusion I came to. I wore jeans most of the time wich for me was not comfortable to carry the PM9 and since I sold it I've been looking at picking up a CW or P series size but with the shield I dunno. I saw your tag HOLY SMOKES thats alot of rounds through a PM9!! How does the polymer frame hold up after that many. Also do you know is the frame on the CW to P and CM to PM the same frame or is that different as well?

my god man the frames will out last u any day of the week. all kahr frames are the same. I have never seen a shot out frame on any gun maker. That just isnot gonna happen. MY PM9 ride sin my jeans 24/7 and I riad a harley a hell of alot. It ain't a fast draw area but again I don'thav eto dress to carry either. Itis just part ofmy going out the door stuff anymore. cm and pm frames are identical, and I am gonna assume the cw and P frames are identical in all aspects.

The economy guns as u call them are not in any way cheaper in quality of materials, just less bells and whistles. every part inside a cw is the same as in a P or PM, except the cw has standard rifled bbl and the P and PM have polygonal barrels. neither one u will ever shoot out or IMO even see any differenc ein accuracy. Just aselling point for kahr to ge tu to buy the P or PM series over the cw or cm series, IMO Had they made the cm 9 when I bought my PM9 I would have bought the cm9. It is what it is my 24/7 defense gun and I didn'tneed someof the bells on it. glad I bought the PM9 thogh as I liked the dlc finish.
    . My PM9 has over 40,000+ rounds through it, and runs much better than an illegal trying to get across our border

NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER

MAY GOD BLESS MUGGSY

LOL thanks for the no BS answer Jocko. Yea I figured as much I just wanted to ask somone who has owned one for as long as you had. I think I'm going to go with the CW9 since like you said identical cept for some luxury features, if i do pick up a shield I'll wait till they are more easily available also wait for any bugs to be worked out:7:. The only reason I mentioned the frame was when I had my PM9 I had noticed the symmetrical bowing of the frame near the front slide rails. I did read that it's normal, but for some reason it just bothered me **shrugs** I know that KHAR makes great quality guns. That PM9 was STUPID accurate for a gun that size. For some reason that frame flex just stuck in my mind. I guess we all have things we need to get over. Thanks again for the info.

ur cm frame has the same suymmetrical bowing there also. BY DESIGN.

NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER

MAY GOD BLESS MUGGSY

[QUOTE=jocko;169154]my god man the frames will out last u any day of the week. all kahr frames are the same. I have never seen a shot out frame on any gun maker. That just isnot gonna happen. MY PM9 ride sin my jeans 24/7 and I riad a harley a hell of alot. It ain't a fast draw area but again I don'thav eto dress to carry either. Itis just part ofmy going out the door stuff anymore. cm and pm frames are identical, and I am gonna assume the cw and P frames are identical in all aspects.

The economy guns as u call them are not in any way cheaper in quality of materials, just less bells and whistles. every part inside a cw is the same as in a P or PM, except the cw has standard rifled bbl and the P and PM have polygonal barrels. neither one u will ever shoot out or IMO even see any differenc ein accuracy. Just aselling point for kahr to ge tu to buy the P or PM series over the cw or cm series, IMO Had they made the cm 9 when I bought my PM9 I would have bought the cm9. It is what it is my 24/7 defense gun and I didn'tneed someof the bells on it. glad I bought the PM9 thogh as I liked the dlc finish.[/QUOTE

+1 here except the pocket carry part...FWIW the CM just feels too heavy in most of my pockets.
    I love my CM but my CW was just as comfy on my hip...I regret selling it now.
    I only had about 250 thru the CW before selling to get the CM. About 400 thru the CM now.

I had a Shield (sn: DXE382X) for about two days and 350 rounds. Good solid gun, it's well made, reliable, and accurate enough. Easily chambers rounds via slide lock or slingshot. It pointed well and I liked how it preformed when shooting instinctively.
    However, I didn't like the trigger or the grip. The trigger breaks clean, but was heavy to me. This made the "let off" very sudden, like pushing against something and it suddenly moves causing you to stumble. There is quite a bit of over travel so I needed to account for that "stumble" when shooting it. To the grip, it was definitely "curl the little finger under" with the flush fit magazine even though the Shield is about the same height as my CW9, which I can get three fingers on. The Shield's extended round magazine provides enough room for three fingers; it also fits well, looks good, and performed without issue. My biggest gripe with the grip, is the shape/position/finish of the trigger guard. It's angular, ridged, and uncomfortable where my top finger curls under it. I actually found it distracting. My next gripe is with the size front to back, it's a little long for me in a Glock 36 kind of way.
    Bottom line: the Shield didn't do anything better than my CW9 (which I feel has a much better trigger and grip) and I didn't shoot it as well as I do my CW9. Fortunately demand is high enough for them right now that I lost little money when I sold the Shield. I guess that's a nice thing about them as well
    Regards,
    Greg

Edit, I want to update this. I purchased another Shield because of an excellent discount by S&W. I intended to keep this one as a reliable truck/car gun. However, after some thought, I decided to invest in a "hard" sear from Apex Tactical. All I can say about this product is the difference in the Shield's trigger pull is night to day. Gone is the heavy stack/break point and over travel is negligible. I love this the trigger now; enough so, that I've sanded down the portions of the grip that bugged me before and have put the Shield into my carry rotation.
    -GB
    Last edited by gb6491; 10-30-2012 at 05:37 PM.