Magnum Research new   Xssights   Mitch Rosen   CrossBreed Holsters
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thoughts on a CW9 vs an M&P Shield

Thanks GB6491. I guess I can take the shield off my list. No sense in spending more money on something that isn't as good as what I have already.

Default Can't decide... get them all?

Quote Originally Posted by gb6491 View Post
    Regards,
    Greg

Edit, I want to update this. I purchased another Shield because of an excellent discount by S&W. I intended to keep this one as a reliable truck/car gun. However, after some thought, I decided to invest in a "hard" sear from Apex Tactical. All I can say about this product is the difference in the Shield's trigger pull is night to day. Gone is the heavy stack/break point and over travel is negligible. I love this the trigger now; enough so, that I've sanded down the portions of the grip that bugged me before and have put the Shield into my carry rotation.
    -GB
    I realize this thread is quite old. Found it searching for just this kind of discussion. Thanks for the update Greg on the Apex Tactical sear. I have a Shield, M&P compact and PM9. I felt like the Shield trigger was a bit stiff also (which was not what i expected since the praise for the Shield trigger was much publicized -- how it was an improvement over the regular M&P line). The M&P45 trigger is even worse. But I have found people saying that the APEX trigger fixed that one up also. I still feel like I might add a CW9 to my collection also. I just can't shake the idea that I'd like to have that extra 1/2" barrel length over the Shield in about the same sized gun.

the shorter familiar trigger pull of the M&P was what convinced me to get the Shield, but again, I was unhappy with it. I may try an APEX kit on it. If I don't carry it, maybe the wife will. Between the two of us, the Shield, the PM9, the CW9, and M&P9c we should have enough options!!

Indecisive

I considered a Shield before the CW9 but for me, I just didn't like how the Shield felt in my hand that much. The width or depth (not thickness) of the grip on the Shield seemed bigger than what felt comfortable to me. The CW9 just feels right.
    http://img195.imageshack.us/img195/9396/nralh.jpg
    Apparently, that notch in the rail is supposed to be there...
    We need idiot control...NOT gun control.

I currently own a CW9, CM9 and P380. Love all three! Recently picked up a Shield, but have yet to get her to the range. From what I can tell so far, I MUCH prefer the triggers on the Kahrs. I also like Glocks, and the trigger on the Shield is similar, but doesn't seem as refined. With that said, I think I'll like the Shield, but it won't replace my Kahrs or Glocks.

Quote Originally Posted by 1radman View Post
    Having owned a CM9 and CW9, the CW is a more enjoyable shooter. I have not fired a Shield. Also keep in mind the CW9's barrel is 1/2" LONGER than the Shield's in a package that's .2" SHORTER! Not to mentiom lighter.

http://www.kahr.com/Pistols/Kahr-CW9.asp

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/w...1_757781_image
    This and the fact that the CW9 does not come with a manual safety is why I went with it over the shield. Even though I am very happy with my M&P 40 full size.

I have a cm9 a cw9 and now the larger tp40. The cm9 is my first choice got to pistol and is a pocket pistol for me. Ammo in all are a +P grade and I have to say the cm9 is not fun to shot or as accurate as the other two but does its job very well. The cw9 is befar a great thin light IWB pistol and is my oldest . Not like jackos pm9 tho. I also will not carry a pistol that has a extenal safety. I have 26 years CC'n mostly with a revolver so NO safteies for me.

I have shot a shield but it had a apex kit in it. Very nice trigger but then its also for me a bit to light . Recoil and grip feel close enought to me that ether one would do well. If I also had a m&p compact or full size as a cc pistol then the shield is a wise choice WITH the apex parts. Only way I would buy a shield tho. Did not pay attention that the shield has a shorter barrel. To bad. I swap firearms at the range ever chance I get just to shoot sump/n I may never own.

My Shield was just a bit too heavy and thick compared to a P/CW9.
    I do think for most guys the Shield and PPS are top notch with the P9.

PM me about some awesome Shield holsters if you're interested.

My Shield was just a bit too heavy and thick compared to a P/CW9.
    I do think for most guys the Shield and PPS are top notch with the P9.

PM me about some awesome Shield holsters if you're interested.

I've got a fair amount of trigger time on each platform (Shield vs P9). From a CCW standpoint, they are both IWB and not pocket guns. Both are high quality. The P9 or CW9 feels just a tad better in my hand. The Shield, with the $35 apex hard sear, shoots a bit better/faster. IMHO, the biggest advantage of the S&W over the P9 or CW9 is the ability to use any full size S&W M&P sights, which includes every sight model from every manufacturer. I run the excellent Trijicon HD, which again IMHO is a big reason why I'm faster on target with the Shield. That said, I don't feel there is any major advantage to either platform and either one could serve its owner equally well.