Tommy Gun   Kahr Shop   CrossBreed Holsters   Crimsontrace
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The " NOTCH "

Deleted
    Last edited by ryoung; 12-07-2010 at 09:49 AM.

misread the "question"...deleted response

Quote Originally Posted by ryoung View Post
    So, metal breaking out of the inside of the slide, between the spring hole and the barrel hole is normal? Is this correct ?
    After reading some of the post on here about the PM45 it made me curious. So I checked mine , and indeed had the same damage to my gun. A small semi circle of metal has been chipped out . Should I be concerned about this ?
    Also, my PM45 has been returned to Kahr twice. Both times for failure to eject . The slide would slam back before the spent casing could fully eject. They finally fixed it after the second time. Anyone else have this problem?
    Several people have had trouble with their PM45s and reported this thin metal cracking in that spot. One guy sent his gun back to Kahr and they machined the notch as it should have been done during manufacture. That metal is not supposed to be there and it seems that interferes with the recoil spring assembly and possibly causes feed and/or ejection issues.
    I took my PM9 apart and took pictures to show what it should look like. It appears this process was omitted and not caught by QC.
    In the pictures you can see this gap or notch that should be there -- not the thin brittle metal that's crumbling away as it's battered by the recoil spring assembly. I put paper behind the notch in one picture to show it better.
    Wynn
    Attached Images Attached Images
    USAF Retired '88, NRA Life Member. Wife USAF Retired '96
    Avatar: Wynn re-enlists his wife Desiree, circa 1988 Loring AFB, ME. 42nd BMW, Heavy (SAC) B-52G's
    Frédéric Bastiat’s essay, The Law: http://mises.org/books/thelaw.pdf

Thomas Jefferson said

“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.”
    and

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Default a real shame

Thank you,for your reply WYNTROUT. I am not sure if I worded my first post exactly right, but you gave me the answer I was looking for. I will contact KAHR about possibly returning my PM45 for them to machine that area to the correct specs.
    As to the failure to eject issues. KAHR's fix to this problem was to remove and polish the ejector and all of it's components. Before this you could push in the ejector and it would stay in / pull it out and it would stay out.Maybe this slide issue was also adding to the problem all along. That is, until the metal broke it self out over time.
    they should have caught that the first time it went back. What I would do is call kahr and chat with IAN to see if the entire gun needs to go back or just the slide. You can mail the slide regualr mail for about $5 but as u know it is costly to send the entire gun back.

If they insist on the entire gun then for sure relate to them it has been back twice and they missed that area of concern and that kahr should issue a prepaid pick up. U should not have to pay to ship the entire gun back again and again.

Default its

Great point JOCKO ! I will give that a try. THANKS !
    their over sight, their defect, you just insist that they issue a pre paid pick up. they will do it but you have to be alittle affirmative with them. Not ur fault the quality control people missed it 3 times..

Kahr willwork with you, so not sounding like they are aholes over this either. they are good about this stuff and will pony up to...

This notch will be the first thing I look for when I get my new PM45. I hope that it's properly finished. I'll send it to them if the darn thing isn't. I sure won't be a happy camper... or shooter. Hey! I just thought of this... maybe this is a cost saving move... to let the recoil assembly just batter the excess metal out of the way!?
    Wynn
    Avatar: Wynn re-enlists his wife Desiree, circa 1988 Loring AFB, ME. 42nd BMW, Heavy (SAC) B-52G's

Thomas Jefferson said

“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.”
    and

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Very glad that I found this thread. I just bought my PM45 two days ago and wondered about that thin and deformed area in the slide. Guess I need to contact Kahr on Monday.

Dang! When I get my PM45 I'm going to take it part and see if it has any of these QC problems. At least I know of a few things to check now. Maybe I can compare it to my PM9. They should be kind of identical, except for size.
    I still haven't heard if it shipped, yet. The dealer I chose to receive it here seems to be in no hurry or preoccupied and can't bother to send his FFL, etc.
    I guess that's why his price is low.
    Wynn

I do have Pix. The dealer included an extra magazine (6-shot with finger grip, $44 at Kahr) and free shipping for $825 + $17.33 credit card fee. I asked about not charging the fee if I used the "Buy Now" option and he said he would throw in the free shipping ($21+) with the "Buy Now" option, which was even better by a few bucks. Now if I could just get it.
    My LGS/range price would have been $860 + 7% Tax and an indefinite wait after it was ordered.

Saturday PM update:
    I called the seller and he called the FFL dealer here and got him to finally fax them his FFL, but they can't ship it until Monday, so maybe Thursday I'll get it and my Blazer range fodder for it from Widener's.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by wyntrout; 03-01-2010 at 02:04 AM. Reason: New info.

Thomas Jefferson said

and

Good luck, Wyntrout .
    I certainly would not wish my own KAHR experience on anyone else.
    What really kills me is, I love this gun ! I really want it to work & be reliable. I love the size of it, the caliber, the look of it. The trouble is. The damn thing will just not perform reliably. This gun was purchased to be a CCW. I am a LE officer. You have to be confident that a weapon will fire when it comes down to go time. I don't know if I can ever have this assurance with this PM45. My hopes are that KAHR will either replace this gun with a new one, or buy it back. If they choose to repair and return it. I will have to put MANY, MANY rounds thru it before I ever trust it again.
    My SIG 239 40 cal. is more bulky to carry & conceal. But, at least I KNOW it will feed, go BANG !!!, and eject when I need it to. My duty weapon (Glock model 22, 40 cal.)also has never failed. If KAHR wants to be counted in as a major player in the gun world they need to get thier QC together.Virtually ALL of thier guns are designed to be CCW's. They charge top dollar for em'. They need to live up to thier price tags.

All I can say is to be patient. I have documented my problems with my Kahr P45 since day one here. It took them two trips but they got it right. I came close to wanting to sell it because reliability is a must for any CC gun.

Three trips back is definitely too many and would ask them to not send it back until they've gotten it right. Still I'm confident they will fix the problem and it will take some time on your part at the range to gain back you confidence with this gun.
    "Get out of my dreams and into my Kahr"

I-Y-G

http://designlinetx.com/

Did any of you have PM45s with the "notch" problem near the serial number of mine SV3533?
    Wynn
    Last edited by wyntrout; 03-01-2010 at 10:00 AM.

Thomas Jefferson said

and