Xssights   CrossBreed Holsters   Mitch Rosen   Kahr Shop
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: slide rust.....wtf

Angry slide rust.....wtf

I pulled my CW9 out of the case and noticed some small rust spots on the slide. I guess i was wrong when i assumed that stainless meant no rust. so i bathed the thing in CLP and it came off, but why did this happen?

Inox is only corrosion resistant but not corrosion proof, especially under special circumstances like high salinity,low O2 or poor circulation .The chromium oxide provides a protective layer to protect the surface but passivation is ensured only when the chromium content in inox steel is high enough and in the presents of O2.Cheers!

Stainless will rust. Particularly if exposed to certain chemicals, chlorine is the worst I've found, not sure what all, probably salty sweat. I use some screwdrivers and things around the pool, and they rust very quickly if you don't rinse them off and dry them well.
    Tom
    Live today, tomorrow may not come!
    Boberg XR9S
    Kahr CW40
    Springfield Armory 1911
    Dan Wesson Revolver

HY*NDAI is to cars, what Caracal, Hi-Point, and Jennings is to handguns. The cars may or may not run ok, but the corporation SUCKS.

Also never use steel wool on stainless nor a brush that's steel or ever brushed steel. Both will embed particles of steel that will initiate rusting in the stainless.

thanks for the feedback. I just noticed that i put this thread in the wrong place it should be in the cw category not the cm/pm one, sorry about that

Default think

Quote Originally Posted by cjm2022 View Post
    I pulled my CW9 out of the case and noticed some small rust spots on the slide. I guess i was wrong when i assumed that stainless meant no rust. so i bathed the thing in CLP and it came off, but why did this happen?
    what that slide wold have looked like had it be carbon steel instead of stainless. Just sayin
    . My PM9 has over 40,000+ rounds through it, and runs much better than an illegal trying to get across our border

NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER

MAY GOD BLESS MUGGSY

I ran into a P9 one time at a LGS that looked like it had been left out on the beach for a month. Rust everywhere. Probably carried concealed in warm weather, lots of sweat. Stainless will definitely rust under not-so-harsh conditions w/o regular cleaning. I stay on top of mine, but I've also considered sending mine off for cerahide, robar, or something similar, just to make my life easier.

I had a CW9 that had one little spot. I just kept it cleaned off and all was well.
    The only thing better than having all the guns and ammo you'd ever need would be being able to shoot it all off the back porch.

Want to see what will be the end of our country as we know it???
    Visit here:
    http://www.usdebtclock.org/

there is some iron in stainless make up and iron tend sto rust.
    . My PM9 has over 40,000+ rounds through it, and runs much better than an illegal trying to get across our border

NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER

MAY GOD BLESS MUGGSY

I ccw in PR. It's hot and humid. I learned pretty quickly that i need to wipe my CM9 everyday at least with a silicone impregnated rag or something similiar. I got a couple of little rust spots on the side of the slide ( those came off with clp). Just today I noticed a llot of rust spots on the slide realease lever. i took the frame apart and found the trigger spacer has rust as well as the magazine release. It is frustating. I shoot this gun every week at the range and clean it after every session.