Mitch Rosen   Tommy Gun   Crimsontrace   Kahr Shop
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: slide rust.....wtf

Florida here, and the PM45 stainless and PM9 stainless seem good to go - in my sweathog front pocket of my jeans. I think they're gettin' sweated on, and wiped at teh same time!~

I've had one stainless gun rust - my little SP-101, one of the first Ruger made - has some pitting on the frame. Go figure. It was put away "wiped" with CLP, and taken out of a "gunny sock" silicone treated storage... with pitting... in an AC low humidity house. Can't explain it, other than salt is not removed by oils, but by water, as pointed out by Prof. Huff, Bureau of Mines back in the '03 Springfield days.

Quote Originally Posted by almalave View Post
    I ccw in PR. It's hot and humid. I learned pretty quickly that i need to wipe my CM9 everyday at least with a silicone impregnated rag or something similiar. I got a couple of little rust spots on the side of the slide ( those came off with clp). Just today I noticed a llot of rust spots on the slide realease lever. i took the frame apart and found the trigger spacer has rust as well as the magazine release. It is frustating. I shoot this gun every week at the range and clean it after every session.
    Where is PR?
    Very interesting...

Puerto Rico.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by almalave View Post
    Puerto Rico.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Oh. Duh!
    Very interesting...

I use a product called Barricade from Birchwood Casey for wiping down the outside of the weapon. It removes moisture and it works.

I'll second the Barricade. I use it on all my guns, but more so on the blued steel. Good stuff, can be had as spray or lighter fluid looking bottle.
    Attitude: it takes 43 muscles to frown, 17 to smile...and 3 for proper trigger squeeze.

The olive branch is considered a symbol of peace, and good will. Last time I checked, it's still a switch.

I had all all weather (stainless) ruger o/u that doesn't look too pretty these days due to me assuming the same sorry thing. Tend your gun like any other one. We use rusti-proof for rifles. I've been cleaning my pistol often and all I have to whipe down with is no.9

I live everywhere but primarily on a sailboat. Home port is in north florida

Just 2 cents from aboater.
    The words are STAIN LESS not rust proof. Rustproof either wouldnt handle the pressures or you couldn'nt afford it or it would be the size of a Desert Eagle 50..
    THE JUST AIN'T NO FREE LUNCH?

Posted this earlier on another thread....

I wanted to share what I’ve been doing to avoid slide rust during this heat wave we’ve been having. I work out doors and have recently discovered a really great product I use to keep cool. It‘s called “Frogg Toggs cooling chilly pad” and it really does the job.

Anyway, I was amazed how much water this thing can retain with out dripping and getting my shirt wet. I also noticed that when it completely dries out it’s the consistency of a tortilla chip. I figured Hey! Reverse the purpose and see what happens? Turns out it works pretty good .

What I did was:
    Wring out the wet towel, cut it to fit.

Place the cut portion over one of the wifes large mason jar candles to shape it for hip carry and let it dry.

As I said, it dries like a tortilla and is ready to do the job.

Yup, I learned this the hard way with my stainless shotgun, just because it says stainless doesn't mean it should be neglected. I'm guessing body heat/sweat is the culprit in your case.