Xssights   Tommy Gun Shop   Kahr Shop   Mitch Rosen

Thread: Is the 1907 Winchester a legal rifle for zoot shooters?

Default Is the 1907 Winchester a legal rifle for zoot shooters?

Thanks!

AK
    It ain't like the old days, but it'll do.

Yes, it is as I read the rules as posted on the AZSA Website under Rules. The bold and underline are mine. The full text can be found at
    www.zootshooters.com/rules

Guns
    Any .32 or larger caliber pistol and .32 or larger pistol cartridge firing rifle produced before 1939 or replica of such may be used as primary guns in AZSA matches.

Any single stack 1911 or 1911A1 pistol may be used so long as it is .32 caliber or larger and it does not have an enlarged magazine well, a compensator, extended beaver tail or controls. 10 round magazines are not permitted. Eight round magazines may be used but can only be loaded with seven rounds. Adjustable, night and fiber-optic sights are permitted.
    Any type of Thompson rifle (including M1s, M1A1s and Commandos) may be used. Full-autos and SBR semi-autos are welcome if they are legal and the host range permits their use. Any size Thompson magazine may be used.
    Matches may include 1939 or older (replicas included) “guest guns” such as shotguns, small caliber pistols and rifles, BARs, etc in their caper designs so long as every match participant uses it.

Thanks for the response Race; I read the same thing. The key words are "pistol cartridge fring rifle." The .351sl, while having hot pistol cartridge ballistics was only used in one rifle; the 1907 Winchester, never in a pistol.

Point well taken! I would still say yes due to the balistics of the cartridge, it is superior to the 357 magnum in a rifle. but technically, the .351 was never chambered in a pistol. I say it's in the same class as the 357 magnum, just the upper end of the class. There could also be a case that Since the Thompson SMG was experimentally chambered for this round in 1919, it should be legal. This is important to know since I'm considering purchasing a Win 1907.

I use .357 Maximum (remember that one?) cases for my .351SL. And the rifle is allowed at our Copicut matches.

Boilermaker - any video of you shooting your 351 in a match? - also, do you use cast bullets in your reloads and, if so, do you cast them yourself or buy them? Thanks!

AK

I use cast bullets from Western bullet co. I also have a Lee Lube sizer in .351 that I have not got to use yet. The gun BTW was modified by "The Fixer" to use lighter loads.

The rifle is allowed. When we say "pistol cartridge firing rifle" we mean something similar to what a pistol would fire but not necessarily what a pistol may have actually been chambered in. Because we are shooting steel at close distances we don't want ricochets, splash-back or damaged targets from higher powered rifles. The "pistol cartridge firing rifle" rule is to deter that. Also, we do not have "power-factor" rules. Load your ammo lighter and be safer.

Excellent!! Thanks Hustler.