Magnum Research new   Tommy Gun Shop   Kahr Shop   Tommy Gun
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another boring range report

Default Another boring range report

Yesterday I went to the range and ran another 100 rounds of Federal ammo through my P380. The gun functioned flawlessly and all but 5 of the 100 rounds stayed within the 3" black at 21 feet. I attribute the five fliers to shooter fatigue. I ain't as young as I used to be. The only modification to the gun is a Hogue slip-on grip. This little gun has quickly become one of my favorites. I originally purchased it as a back-up to my CM9 which is my primary carry pistol, but I don't feel under gunned when the P380 is all that I can carry.
    Never trust anyone who doesn't trust you to own a gun.

Life Member - NRA
    Colt Gold Cup 70 series
    Colt Woodsman
    Ruger Mark III .22-45
    Kahr CM9
    Kahr P380

Pretty good shootin' at 7 yards IMHO. I often only carry a .380 (Ruger LCP) and don't feel too under-gunned. More & more though, the LCP is a bug to my G26.
    Virtues are learned at Mother's Knee

Vices are learned at some other Joint

Nice report, Muggsy. That P380 is the Cadillac of 380s and it sounds like you have a good one.

For me, the P380 was out of my price range. So I have been looking at the alternatives for a long time. The common choices are the P3AT and the LCP. These guns don't have slide hold open on last round, which is, to me, an important feature. I have also seen enough reports about how unpleasant they are to shoot that I believe it. So I started looking at the Taurus TCP. It has a slide lever and stays open on last round. The reputation is good. It has a lifetime warranty. In pictures it looks angular and wierd like a stealth fighter, but in person it looks good. Just not a photogenic gun. Very thin, including the slide lock that doesn't stick out much at all. What finally sold me was the opinion of a former member and friend (Thunder71) who owns one. So, I bought the Plain Jane version from Bud's for $191, got 2 inexpensive spare mags and paid my gunsmith $30 to fluff&buff, polish the feed ramp, clean, lube and test fire it. He commented on what a nice trigger it has; smooth and lighter than my CM9. The gun points and shoots very well, which is good because the tiny black sights are useless. But, hey, this is a belly gun and accuracy is fine within SD distance. I am very pleased with the gun and the modest investment I made in it!

Edit: Don't ask me why, but this gun is not as brutal to shoot as the P3AT and the LCP. That was what I learned from Thunder71, who had owned an LCP. That really sold me. I don't know how it compares to the P380, but I find it acceptable as an occasionally fired BUG, not a range gun.
    Last edited by JFootin; 08-14-2012 at 08:54 PM.
    Very interesting...

I had a KelTec P3AT, but wasn't happy with it. While it functioned reliable it really wasn't very pleasant to shoot. I considered it at best a last ditch gun. I think that you made a very good choice in getting the Taurus considering the price.

Life Member - NRA
    Colt Gold Cup 70 series
    Colt Woodsman
    Ruger Mark III .22-45
    Kahr CM9
    Kahr P380

Quote Originally Posted by Yogi 117 View Post
    Pretty good shootin' at 7 yards IMHO. I often only carry a .380 (Ruger LCP) and don't feel too under-gunned. More & more though, the LCP is a bug to my G26.
    My father was a gunsmith and introduced me to the shooting sports at the age of eight. I've had 58 years of practice. I'm not as good as I once was, but at 66 I can still hold my own. All that it takes is a good eye and a steady hand.

Life Member - NRA
    Colt Gold Cup 70 series
    Colt Woodsman
    Ruger Mark III .22-45
    Kahr CM9
    Kahr P380

Quote Originally Posted by JFootin View Post
    Nice report, Muggsy. That P380 is the Cadillac of 380s and it sounds like you have a good one.

For me, the P380 was out of my price range. So I have been looking at the alternatives for a long time. The common choices are the P3AT and the LCP. These guns don't have slide hold open levers, which is, to me, an important feature. I have also seen enough reports about how unpleasant they are to shoot that I believe it. So I started looking at the Taurus TCP. It has a slide lever and stays open on last round. The reputation is good. It has a lifetime warranty. In pictures it looks angular and wierd like a stealth fighter, but in person it looks good. Just not a photogenic gun. Very thin, including the slide lock that doesn't stick out much at all. What finally sold me was the opinion of a former member and friend (Thunder71) who owns one. So, I bought the Plain Jane version from Bud's for $191, got 2 inexpensive spare mags and paid my gunsmith $30 to fluff&buff, polish the feed ramp, clean, lube and test fire it. He commented on what a nice trigger it has; smooth and lighter than my CM9. The gun points and shoots very well, which is good because the tiny black sights are useless. But, hey, this is a belly gun and accuracy is fine within SD distance. I am very pleased with the gun and the modest investment I made in it!

Edit: Don't ask me why, but this gun is not as brutal to shoot as the P3AT and the LCP. That was what I learned from Thunder71, who had owned an LCP. That really sold me. I don't know how it compares to the P380, but I find it acceptable as an occasionally fired BUG, not a range gun.
    The LCP DOES have a slide lock back lever. However, it does not lock back on last round.
    Notables:
    Kimber Custom II 1911 .45 ACP ("How sweet it is")
    Kahr CM9 9mm - Trijicon night sights, Wolff 5# striker spring
    Glock 19 Gen 3 9mm - Meprolight night sights, BTGuiderod stainless steel captured guide rod, Ghost Ranger trigger connector, Vickers mag release
    Taurus 85 Stainless Steel .38 Special
    1977 Smith & Wesson 19-4 2.5" .357 Magnum - Wolff springs, Professional trigger job
    1955 Hi-Standard Sentinel R-100 .22lr
    1958 Marlin Golden 39-A Mountie .22lr
    Norinco SKS 7.62x39

A .380 is capable of putting a major hurting (or worse) on an assailant. Great choice when something bigger can't be carried. Sounds like you'd have no problem placing the rounds where they need to go.
    "I hate quotations. Tell me what you know."
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by Markis82 View Post
    The LCP DOES have a slide lock back lever. However, it does not lock back on last round.
    OK. Well, it's the locking on last round that I want because with my clumsy crippled hands I cannot rack the slide all the way back, keep it there and reach a thumb over to push the lever up. I keep one mag empty so that I can insert it when I want the slide locked open. Simple solution for me.
    Very interesting...

Quote Originally Posted by Bill K View Post
    A .380 is capable of putting a major hurting (or worse) on an assailant. Great choice when something bigger can't be carried. Sounds like you'd have no problem placing the rounds where they need to go.
    Target shooting is one thing, but one thing to remember is that targets don't shoot back. I hope that I can do at least half that good when the SHTF.

Life Member - NRA
    Colt Gold Cup 70 series
    Colt Woodsman
    Ruger Mark III .22-45
    Kahr CM9
    Kahr P380

Quote Originally Posted by JFootin View Post
    OK. Well, it's the locking on last round that I want because with my clumsy crippled hands I cannot rack the slide all the way back, keep it there and reach a thumb over to push the lever up. I keep one mag empty so that I can insert it when I want the slide locked open. Simple solution for me.
    There are alternatives to racking the slide by hand. I've seen guys do some pretty impressive things with handguns who only had one arm. Where there's a will there's a way.

Life Member - NRA
    Colt Gold Cup 70 series
    Colt Woodsman
    Ruger Mark III .22-45
    Kahr CM9
    Kahr P380