Magnum Research new   Crimsontrace   Tommy Gun   Kahr Shop
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Magazine Baseplate

Default Magazine Baseplate

Couldn"t find anything when I searched. Can the plastic base plate on the k920 magazine be changed with the stock 6 round metal baseplate on the CM9 magazine. From eyeballing it looks like it would fit "flusher" with the plastic base on the 6 rounder.

greyhound

Yes. That combination will work just fine, or at least it did for me on my CW40 magazine using a PM40 magazine's metal base.
    It would be so nice if something made sense for a change.
    -- Alice in Lewis Carroll's Alice's Adventures in Wonderland

Hey I just saw this and hope I'm not too late...
    Some people don't realize this, but you need to buy the metal locking plate also.

Also someone else here had a problem with Kahr sending wrong parts a few times, so let us know what happens. p.s. probably a good idea NOT to mention what gun you have so they don't try to assume what part you want.

http://kahrtalk.com/showpost.php?p=144896

I also made my own baseplate for my CW9 out of CNC machined aluminum, and then hard anodized it black. It looks awesome! It cost me more to make than I was expecting, so I plan to sell some to make that up. I have my first batch done, but need to fix one thing before they are ready to sell. I also have a friend who is going to test it on his CM9 to be sure it fits.

The polymer lock plate should be used with the polymer base. The metal one doesn't begin to have the protrusion needed to keep the base plate on. It barely works with metal to metal on the P380. The base comes off too easily., especially if you drop your pistol as I have. The base is easily thumbed off the P380 mags and you're asking for problems if you try to be cheap by using the metal base locking plate.
    I don't like the "flush-fitting" polymer bases for CC and got metal ones for my P40, but had to add an O-ring because the gap was big enough in front to "bite" my pinky finger!
    I used neoprene plumbers O-rings... 3/32" thick and 3/4" inner diameter. 1/8" was too thick and 15/16" I.D. was too loose and caused binding or too much pressure on the magazine catch.

Wynn

When you're buying base plates search for the base plate kit and save a few bucks over buying separate bases and lock plates:

When you get where you can look up a part, enter "base plate kit" and look for your caliber, or try adding that to the search as well, but the "kit" is $15.50 versus $8.80 each for the two parts, saving $2.10.
    USAF Retired '88, NRA Life Member. Wife USAF Retired '96
    Avatar: Wynn re-enlists his wife Desiree, circa 1988 Loring AFB, ME. 42nd BMW, Heavy (SAC) B-52G's
    Frédéric Bastiat’s essay, The Law: http://mises.org/books/thelaw.pdf

Thomas Jefferson said

“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.”
    and

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Here's my O-ring info and pix... post #106 after the Looper belt pix:

http://kahrtalk.com/showthread.php?t...O-ring&page=11

Maybe you don't need the O-rings, but after one pinch, I didn't want any more!

Wynn
    Avatar: Wynn re-enlists his wife Desiree, circa 1988 Loring AFB, ME. 42nd BMW, Heavy (SAC) B-52G's

Thomas Jefferson said

“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.”
    and

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

I see that this is a pretty old thread…but…. Questions anyway. I just got a P380 a week or so ago (haven’t got a chance to shoot it yet), but while cleaning it this morning i did notice the issue described above by wyntrout. It seems that the baseplate will come off with just a LITTLE finger pressure without even depressing the locking tab. When its empty of course. I could not duplicate when the mag was loaded.
    Does anyone know if there has been a real fix for this? IS it a real problem IF the mag is loaded? Does installing magguts kit keep the baseplate locked in better?
    Thanks

Sounds like the retaining plate or the spring is in backwards, or you don't have enough spring pressure to keep the plate up tight against the base plate. Or, on Kahr mags when new they should be taken apart and cleaned thoroughly with solvent. The "lube" or preservative they put on them becomes a very sticky mess pretty quickly.

You can use a punch or nail setter to slightly increase the dimple in the plate, or very light peening taps on the inside of the crimped edges of the base plate until it is harder to remove. I did the latter as needed. Have a thin flat screwdriver handy to open the gaps a bit, if too much... trial and error!

Free end of spring to the front of the follower for maximum lift and function.

Thomas Jefferson said

and

Light taps on the retaining lips of the base plate with a small hammer can help keep the base plate on the magazine tube. Have a thin, flat screwdriver to open the gap as necessary in trial and error until the base plate stays on a little better.

The free end of the magazine spring should be to the front of the follower for maximum lift and function.

I have dropped my P380 twice at home... once it fell out of the holster and another time I was carrying several things and dropped it and the holster. Both times the base came off and bullets went everywhere. I managed to find all of the magazine pieces and bullets, but those base plate parts can really disburse!

I once had the same holster fall off my pants(plastic clip) and scoot across the floor towards the lady in front of me just finishing checkout at Walmart. She just looked at the holstered pistol on the floor, then at me, and just smiled. I kind of laughed as I picked it up... so thankful that the mag base didn't pop off then!

Thomas Jefferson said

and