Tommy Gun Shop   Tommy Gun   Crimsontrace   CrossBreed Holsters
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rusting magazine release button CM9

Default Rusting magazine release button CM9

I have been carrying a new CM9 for several months IWB, right hand. This means the magazine release button is next to my body. In winter I had a tee shirt between me and the CM9. With summer came a little sweat and the magazine release button rusted.

I treated the external button with a rust converter several times, but it kept rusting. I have tried a leather holster, a ballistic nylon holster, and a velvet nylon holster, all purchased new. Now I am regularly putting a drop of gun oil on it, which is annoying.

I called Kahr and mentioned this and they sent me a new clip release that looks just like the original one. Does anyone know if Kahr plans to make a stainless magazine release? Or are there any third party solutions for this problem?

Right now I have resorted to a fanny pack, but I don't like it.

Thanks for any tips.

Try some Frog Lube.
    Paint or plating would be some options to consider.
    As a long shot, there were some older poly 9mm Kahrs that had a hybrid mag release (poly body with a metal shelf), perhaps someone with one of these would trade you for your new all metal latch.
    BTW, Welcome to the forums
    Regards,
    Greg

no they arenot gonna make a stainless maqg release. it is not an issue in 99% of kahrs, I would sugges tmaybe even putting in the new one. It could for some reason be a better release due to metallurgy reason, which I am guessing to. but again it is not an issue. It might be for you though. so what GB6491 suggested might work, U just gonna have to keep an eye on that area in your case. Even stainless can rust.
    . My PM9 has over 40,000+ rounds through it, and runs much better than an illegal trying to get across our border

NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER

MAY GOD BLESS MUGGSY

Mine does the same thing in the summer. I buff out the rust and coat it with Ezeox. It's good for another couple of weeks.
    It's just one of those things that happens in the summer time.

Sold all my guns. I dislike firearms.
    NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    That notch in the rail is supposed to be there

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."
    --Thomas Jefferson (1764).

PJHoster's IWB kydex holster with sweat shield. Problem solved! I live in South West Florida, use this holster every day. Besides being the best, most comfortable holster I have ever used, no rust at all. No moisture touched any part of the gun.
    Notables:
    Kimber Custom II 1911 .45 ACP ("How sweet it is")
    Kahr CM9 9mm - Trijicon night sights, Wolff 5# striker spring
    Glock 19 Gen 3 9mm - Meprolight night sights, BTGuiderod stainless steel captured guide rod, Ghost Ranger trigger connector, Vickers mag release
    Taurus 85 Stainless Steel .38 Special
    1977 Smith & Wesson 19-4 2.5" .357 Magnum - Wolff springs, Professional trigger job
    1955 Hi-Standard Sentinel R-100 .22lr
    1958 Marlin Golden 39-A Mountie .22lr
    Norinco SKS 7.62x39

Thanks for the comments and suggestions-- I'll give them a try. I'll post if something works for me.

humm, wonder what we did when there was no stainless guns??????/ Just sayin.
    . My PM9 has over 40,000+ rounds through it, and runs much better than an illegal trying to get across our border

NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER

MAY GOD BLESS MUGGSY

I work out doors and recently discovered a really great product. I use it to keep cool and also prevent moisture from penetrating my holster, check it out...

I was amazed how much water this thing retains with out dripping and getting my shirt wet at work. I also noticed that when it completely dries out it’s the consistency of a tortilla chip. I figured Hey! Reverse the purpose and see what happens? Turns out it works pretty good .

What I did was:
    Wring out the wet towel, cut it to fit.

Place the cut portion over one of the wifes large mason jar candles to shape it for hip carry and let it dry.

As I said, it dries like a tortilla and is ready to do the job.

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
    Thanks for the comments and suggestions-- I'll give them a try. I'll post if something works for me.
    R:

Having the same problem, thinking of trying a paste wax of some sort.

-steve
    -NRA Life Member

-It isn’t Islamophobia when they really ARE trying to kill you!

-Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property.
    Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them.
    -Thomas Paine

Thread revival.

The release on my CW9 is suffering this issue. I appendix carry the CW9 very frequently, and what can I say? I sweat like a whore in church on Sunday in the Texas heat. Odd thing is, I carry it in a IWB Kydex holster, which keeps the entire trigger guard and release covered, and I also oil fairly liberally. Guess it's a sauna in my britches during summer. LOL

I've contacted Kahr for a new release. This one I intend to have coated, so I won't have to worry about this issue again.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk