Xssights   CrossBreed Holsters   Tommy Gun Shop   Kahr Shop

Thread: Trigger on an older K9

Default Trigger on an older K9

I have a K9 that was produced around 1995-6. It is all black and probably carbon steel. It has smooth sides above the trigger, as was discussed in an earlier thread.

What trigger does this vintage have? Would it be similar to NYPD or elite? Or something else?

It would be the NYPD trigger normally. It may have been changed but most likely it is the 1/2" length pull.
    Judging by today's left wing, looks like Senator Joe McCarthy was right after all.

What trigger comes in the K9 today? I've had mine since March and the trigger is pretty dam smooth.

Interesting, ripley16. I would have thought the NYPD trigger was added later. I may change it out to an elite. After a year of firing it, I've come to the conclusion that it's not me, it's the trigger. I was more accurate with the SA on my CZ.

Quote Originally Posted by 7shot View Post
    What trigger comes in the K9 today? I've had mine since March and the trigger is pretty dam smooth.
    Both triggers are smooth and are the same weight pull. It's only a matter of length. It was reported here that Kahr announced they were going to the short pull for the K9, but I've yet to see that officially announced on the website.

Hold a ruler parallel to the slide, just at the middle of the trigger. Carefully pull the trigger, (unloaded of course), and measure the length. It's either 1/2" or 3/8". Your box should have a sticker that denotes the trigger as well.
    Judging by today's left wing, looks like Senator Joe McCarthy was right after all.

Quote Originally Posted by jdr3366 View Post
    I may change it out to an elite. After a year of firing it, I've come to the conclusion that it's not me, it's the trigger. I was more accurate with the SA on my CZ.
    I'm in the same boat. My early K9, an all black carbon steel workhorse had the original trigger. I never liked it though it functioned like a champ. I took a chance on another K9, this one with the short trigger and it made a big difference in my case. Now I have a workhorse with a better trigger that I actually enjoy shooting.

I took the chance because I'd purchased a T9 and a few polymer guns in between the two K9s, and knew the short, so called "Elite", trigger suited me, and I shot a bit better with it.

Quote Originally Posted by ripley16 View Post
    Both triggers are smooth and are the same weight pull. It's only a matter of length. It was reported here that Kahr announced they were going to the short pull for the K9, but I've yet to see that officially announced on the website.

Hold a ruler parallel to the slide, just at the middle of the trigger. Carefully pull the trigger, (unloaded of course), and measure the length. It's either 1/2" or 3/8". Your box should have a sticker that denotes the trigger as well.
    Well, if that's all there's no need to change anything. For me it shoots just fine...

My box has no such sticker or anything else that mentions trigger length. I did buy it used so maybe it's not the correct box, all other info that came with seems to match? Oh well...thanks for the explanation ripley.

I've read that the old K9s also had a stiffer spring to accommodate +P+ ammo. I wonder how much of my problem is in anticipating the recoil, which would be fixed by simply replacing with a 20lb spring?

For $7.00 it's worth a shot. Got nothing to lose replacing the springs.

Sold all my guns. I dislike firearms.
    NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    That notch in the rail is supposed to be there

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."
    --Thomas Jefferson (1764).

The new springs have been sitting on my desk for about a month. I was going to change them just for maintenance reasons, because I wasn't sure if the previous owners (2) had ever done it. Now I have more interest in doing it. Tomorrow.