Xssights   Mitch Rosen   Tommy Gun Shop   Magnum Research new
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Frame Peening?

Default Frame Peening?

My MK9 has a slight wear mark that looks like it could be peening from contact between the frame and the barrel. I have about 680 rounds through it.

The area is visible with the slide off. It is on the left side of the inside frame about 1/8" to 1/4" in front of the opening for the slide release lever (not pin). It is on the other side of the slide release spring.

It appears to be caused by the barrel near the top of the ramp. I can see through the ejection port area where the contact being made between that part of the barrel and that part of the frame with the slide locked back when I move the muzzle end of the barrel front to back. Of course, I am doing this with no magazine and no ammo in the pistol.

Want to know if this peening or wear mark is normal on MK9 or MK40. Anyone else have this. I hope I was able to explain the location okay. Thanks.

A picture would help if it was clear enough.

If the gun is going into battery without help and running ok, probably nothing to worry about.

My K40 in it's early day started peening and I had to occasionally tap the back of the slide with my hand to drive it into battery.

Kahr replaced the slide and barrel and it's not had an issue since.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Thanks for the responses so far. I was afraid that my description might be difficult to follow. I will try to post a photo of the area, tommorrow. However, it is not the barrel that is "peening'. It is a small spot on the inside of the frame that appears to be 'peening", as a result of contact with the barrel when the barrel tilts after extraction and ejection.

Check out this animation from the Kahr website http://www.kahr.com/kahr-unique-design.asp . It is when the barrel tilts and the left side of the barrel, just above the lug and near the top of the ramp, comes into contact with the left inside of the frame. It would be a little behind the slide release spring screw.

Again, I will try to post a photo tommorrow.

Maybe try polishing the barrel link.
    Just an idea, but it could possibly take care of the problem.
    Last edited by FatMatt; 08-19-2012 at 07:36 PM.

Here are the photos. Not the best quality photos
    1st Photo: Peened area is just in front of the slide stop lever opening.
    2nd Photo: Area of barrel making contact.
    3rd Photo: peened area; move orange pointer down a little.
    4th Photo: peened area.
    5th Photo: barrel area making contact on opposite end of pointer.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Ok, I see what you're saying now.... Edit, I have a similar issue.
    Last edited by FatMatt; 08-19-2012 at 07:32 PM.

I am guessing the arrow in this copy of your image is pointing to the area of the frame where the mark is being made. Right?

My plastic (PM40) Kahr has some light marks on the frame in that area, but none close enough the upper edge to cause a divot.

To get Kahr's attention, you will probably need a better picture of this area to help them understand how deep the divot is.

Personally, I would file a little material off the corner of the barrel lug right where it is contacting the frame with a round jeweler's file, polish the area if it seemed rough, and move on. But, that's just me. I sometimes do things to my firearms that other people would balk at, so don't necessarily take that as a recommendation.

However, I'm pretty sure Kahr will tell you there is no problem with the small amount of marking we can see in your picture of the frame. There is no real stress on the frame at this point and the barrel lug is very strong.

Best of luck and please let us know how it goes!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    It would be so nice if something made sense for a change.
    -- Alice in Lewis Carroll's Alice's Adventures in Wonderland

Thanks TusconMTB, you are a techno-wizard. The arrow you inserted is what I wanted to do but could not. That is the spot. Like I said, I was just wondering if this was typical. I have Glocks and they have peen marks on most of them on the slide rail area, the 40s more so. However, on the Glocks, the peening seems to only progress to a certain point, and I am hoping that is the case here.

Thanks FatMatt. Does your MK 40 have any wear at all in that area, and how many rounds through it?

Quote Originally Posted by Redstate View Post

Thanks FatMatt. Does your MK 40 have any wear at all in that area, and how many rounds through it?
    Yes it does, Not very much, but some. I bought it used off Gunbroker so I'm unsure about an accurate round count. However I agree 100% with Tucson, I make small but helpful modifications to all of my firearms, a little bit of polishing with some fine sandpaper or a few minutes on a buffing wheel should solve the problem.

Maybe these pictures of my MK40 will help.

*Visible