Tommy Gun   Kahr Shop   CrossBreed Holsters   Magnum Research new
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finally cleaned out the striker channel, yikes!

Default Finally cleaned out the striker channel, yikes!

I clean my MK9 after every range trip, never had an issue with it. I decided since I probably have about 800rds through it now I should probably clean out the striker channel using that little blowout hole. I couldn't believe how much crap came out of there.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Yikes! Never cleaned the striker channel in mine, and have about the same round count.

So one more thing that I have to do now!

Seems like owning and using firearms is a lot like owning and using a boat or (even worse) an airplane: The amount of time and money you need to spend on maintenance really gets in the way of using the items for their intended purpose.

But thanks for posting this.
    "Measure twice, cut once. Think twice, speak once."

I just wonder what percent that represents of the total amount of debris from the cartridge cases getting knocked and banged about during chambering, firing, and ejecting!

Wynn
    USAF Retired '88, NRA Life Member. Wife USAF Retired '96
    Avatar: Wynn re-enlists his wife Desiree, circa 1988 Loring AFB, ME. 42nd BMW, Heavy (SAC) B-52G's
    Frédéric Bastiat’s essay, The Law: http://mises.org/books/thelaw.pdf

Thomas Jefferson said

“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.”
    and

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Where's that post on how to do this.... I can't find it thru search.
    My New Web Store!
    www.teampython.com
    __________________________________________________ _____
    The loudest sound in the world is a “click” when you need a “bang.”

There's a pdf file picture here on Glocktalk:

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/show...=308824&page=3

And there are more helpful posts here on Kahrtalk with more photos and info on the construction of a "C" clamp the hold things in while getting the backplate off:

http://kahrtalk.com/showthread.php?t=197

More discussion and pictures:

http://kahrtalk.com/showthread.php?t=197&page=4

Wynn
    USAF Retired '88, NRA Life Member. Wife USAF Retired '96
    Avatar: Wynn re-enlists his wife Desiree, circa 1988 Loring AFB, ME. 42nd BMW, Heavy (SAC) B-52G's
    Frédéric Bastiat’s essay, The Law: http://mises.org/books/thelaw.pdf

Thomas Jefferson said

“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.”
    and

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

It looks like eye protection will be required if you plan to blow those brass shavings out. Be careful.

I didn't break down the slide, I only used the cleanout hole. I blasted the crap out of it with a can of the Breakfree Powder Blast. I flushed it about 5-6 times before I couldn't get anything else out. I was satisfied with that and didn't feel the need to completely break down the slide.

Sent from my mwp6985 using Board Express

...and yes, EYE PROTECTION! Not only from the metal shavings, but from the cleaner spraying everywhere also.

Sent from my mwp6985 using Board Express

Quote Originally Posted by downtownv View Post
    Where's that post on how to do this.... I can't find it thru search.
    If you want to blow out the stuff in the striker channel using brake cleaner, as the original poster did, all you need is a fresh can of aerosol brake cleaner, with a nozzle, and a location to work in, preferably outdoors.

The hole into which to put the tip of the spray tube is the dark spot at the head of the lower arrow numbered 9 in the lubrication diagram pictured below. You can manipulate the striker while you spray to increase the flow out the front or cover the firing pin hole to increase the spray out the back, if you like. I have found that this is worth doing frequently.

It would be so nice if something made sense for a change.
    -- Alice in Lewis Carroll's Alice's Adventures in Wonderland

I regularly, with eye protection, use my compressor to blow out the "blow hole" everytime I clean my Kahrs and Glocks. I took my striker out of one of my Glocks after about 6,000 rounds and it was pretty clean in the channel, although there was a little fouling on the striker that cleaned up real easy.