CrossBreed Holsters   Xssights   Crimsontrace   Magnum Research new
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Finally....Recoil Cam is Done

Default Finally....Recoil Cam is Done

I was recently offered a loaner PM45 for evaluation and possible review. While I had it, I thought I would do the Recoil Cam series for all the Kahr Micro Polymer guns. Not sure why Kahr didn't call the P380 the PM380, but I've always considered the P380 the smallest pistol in the PM series.
    Last edited by Ljutic; 09-11-2012 at 10:47 PM.

Man, that's great! This ought to be a sticky for those trying to decide on the caliber of small Kahr pistol to get.

The P380 looked surprisingly mild on recoil. The PM9 also. The PM40 looks like it would bite your wrist if you limp wristed it! The PM45 was visibly slower on recoil than the PM40, still a big recoil but probably easier to manage.
    Very interesting...

Great video, Bruce. Thanks for the post.

What ammo for each pistol?

Wynn
    USAF Retired '88, NRA Life Member. Wife USAF Retired '96
    Avatar: Wynn re-enlists his wife Desiree, circa 1988 Loring AFB, ME. 42nd BMW, Heavy (SAC) B-52G's
    Frédéric Bastiat’s essay, The Law: http://mises.org/books/thelaw.pdf

Thomas Jefferson said

“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.”
    and

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

thanks for your time in making that video.

as asked above, what were the brands et cetera of ammo used for each caliber? +p, standard pressure, weight.....?

I tied several things together yesterday afternoon so I could make the most of my time. It was cool enough to start SIM-TEST ballistics testing again so I used the following ammo for Recoil Cam and later for a terminal ballistics test with each. All tested rounds are the 100 round Value Packs.

380 Rem UMC 88 Grain JHP
    9mm Rem UMC 115 Grain JHP
    40 S&W Rem UMC 180 Grain JHP
    45 ACP Rem UMC 230 Grain JHP

Based on my terminal testing results, I probably should have used Speer Gold Dots.
    Last edited by Ljutic; 08-26-2012 at 03:30 PM.

Excellent work (as usual)! Thank you for putting that together.
    Regards,
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Ljutic View Post
    I tied several things together yesterday afternoon so I could make the most of my time. It was cool enough to start SIM-TEST ballistics testing again so I used the following ammo for Recoil Cam and later for a terminal ballistics test with each. All tested rounds are the 100 round Value Packs.

380 Rem UMC 88 Grain JHP
    9mm Rem UMC 115 Grain JHP
    40 S&W Rem UMC 180 Grain JHP
    45 ACP Rem UMC 230 Grain JHP

Based on my terminal testing results, I probably should have used Speer Gold Dots.
    i think you picked the best ammo for this type of test (recoil). picking the standard pressure run of the mill off the shelf at wal-mart loads people can see what the minimum is that they can expect....knowing that the +p and so on will give them even more of whatever they are looking for.....

Excellent vid, as is all your work. Nicely done & gives a person a very good idea of the expected recoil of the major calibers. Thx for the work.
    Virtues are learned at Mother's Knee

Vices are learned at some other Joint

Thanks, Bruce. Yeah, I had no idea whether some were higher pressure or what... good idea... using a single "class" and brand of ammo.

I'm sure envious of your high-speed camera!

Wynn
    USAF Retired '88, NRA Life Member. Wife USAF Retired '96
    Avatar: Wynn re-enlists his wife Desiree, circa 1988 Loring AFB, ME. 42nd BMW, Heavy (SAC) B-52G's
    Frédéric Bastiat’s essay, The Law: http://mises.org/books/thelaw.pdf

Thomas Jefferson said

“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.”
    and

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Thanks for taking the time to put that together. Very helpful for those of us that were wondering about the recoil differences