Magnum Research new   Xssights   Tommy Gun Shop   Kahr Shop
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: XDS versus PM45

Default XDS versus PM45

Well, even after reading all the criticism of the XDS, I grabbed one cheap.

I field stripped her and found the internals looked like the product of high quality control. She was well lubed from the factory, but I cleaned the test residue and lubed with Tetra, the white stuff that looks a little like, nevermind.

I shot about 250 rounds, which was a pain since I only had the 5 round mags. Luckily I had the Uplula speed loader!

She fired couple hundred rounds of three types of ball, not one issue. I fired WWB cheap hollow points, HST's and Ranger T's. Not one single issue of any type.

It shoots as well as my PM45, and, dare I say, maybe a little more instinctive to point and about the same accuracy. I found at 25 yards, shots were in about a 6 inch group when fired at a reasonable rate of combat type speed.

To compare the two, the slides looked about the same, quality control wise. The frame on the XDS looked sturdier and didn't have the "shavings
    we see as the frame wears in on the PM45. My PM45's have had a few issues with feeding and function, but the factory is very cooperative with repairs. The trigger on the PM45 seemed a little better, but just a tiny bit.

I think the recoil was maybe 10% less on the Springfield, just an impression from the gut. I liked the Springfield sights a lot better. Magazines are an issue, availability wise and the Springfield has an all to familiar isuue/complaint regarding the 7 round mag. just like the Kahr.

My plan is to order the Laserlyte rear sight, having had a good experience with one on a Glock and make this little guy in the rotation with the PM45 when Kahr gets it right.

Overall, I have a greater confidence level in the XDS from this experience. I understand they are sensitive to the striker channel being cleaned out well. My issue with the Kahr, which I think has the capability of being a better gun, is, with the expense of ammo these days, it takes a hundred bucks to validate every repair and try to re establish an appropriate confidence level.

The Springfield, of course, had a 1911 style grip safety and it rides perfectly in a Bullard gunleather holster for a Glock 19, it rides a little deep and that's fine with me. I have the PJ holster for the PM45 and have one ordered for the Springfield.

On the holster issue, both guns have a virtually identical size with the Springer looking 1/8 inch longer or so. The both fit in the Bullard bodyguard Glock 19 holster with the FBI cant (owb). I did generously apply Fiebings Tan Kote with a toothbrush inside on the raw leather and outside on the finished product. It seemed to give the holster a little more solid feel in addition to the waterproofing, etc.

All in all, I know this is a Kahr forum, but the little XDS might be a good alternative. I paid 525 new.
    Last edited by Shark1007; 08-26-2012 at 01:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shark1007 View Post

The Springer, of course, has one less round.
    Just recently started working with a loaner PM45 and now own an XDs. The PM45 mag in my loaner is a 5 round which is the same as the XDs. Is there a PM45 6 round mag available?

Have not shot the PM45 much but I can say I 100% agree with the XDs over the PM45 comments you made. So much easier to shoot the XDs. I drop the PM45 mag mid string most of the time when it contacts my thumb.

My mistake, friend. I was confusing .45's. The capacity is the same.

Nice report on your XD-S Shark107. I enjoyed the comparison to the PM45 as I don't have one (PM45).
    I do have an XD-S and like it a lot (right on par with my CW45).
    I've somewhat come to terms with the right rear frame rail being useless when the pistol is in battery because it has not caused a single issue to date (I've about 700 round through it).
    That it won't feed Hornady XTP is not an issue because I won't use them in it.
    I didn't like that the LCI intruded into the sight picture, but that was remedied by taking a little material off the part of it that contacts the case rim.
    I like that it's slide is thinner than the one on my CW45.
    I find it's trigger is (IMO) better that that which was on the M&P Shield I used to own. In fact, I think it's trigger (after a slight amount of polishing) is almost as good as the one on my CW45.
    I like the fiber optic sight, but wonder if I will miss it whenever night sights become available (do you know of any?).
    I like that I can shoot it accurately. I find I shoot it about as well as my CW45 out to 10/15 yards (for me, from that point on, the bigger gun pulls away).
    I do prefer the larger of the two grip straps as I found it torqued in my hand much more with the thinner one installed. I find that a little odd because my CW45 with a shorter front to rear grip does not seem to torque any where as bad and seems a touch more docile under recoil. Oh well, felt recoil is such a subjective thing.
    I may get a small kydex mag holder as the the mag catch windows on the XD-S magazines scrape the inside of my leather pouches making them a little more difficult to extract than I like.
    I think the ambi mag catch is well done on the XD-S.
    I like the accessories that come with XD-S (though I haven't used them much).
    The XD-s fits great in the FIST holster for my Glock 27.
    Again, thanks for the XD-S/PM45 comparison. Could you possibly post some comparison photos? If you like, I have some with the CW45.
    Regards,
    Greg

sold my pm45 for an xds... Never thought I would do it, but I did.
    Focus on your front sight..... The rest should be blurry!

Quote Originally Posted by bonjorno2 View Post
    sold my pm45 for an xds... Never thought I would do it, but I did.
    I wondered if the same would happen with my CW45, but after having had both for awhile, they are both staying. The XD-S is good, with it's thinness being it's biggest draw for me. That extra round and that I shoot it better at longer ranges makes the CW45 a keeper for me. If I could only keep one, it would probably be the CW45, but, fortunately, that's not the case
    Regards,
    Greg

I always thought bore axis on XD Sringers felt high/odd. How is the XDs?
    Kahr P380, Custom CM9 x2, & PM45 or S&W M&P9c x2 (my CC guns)

Quote Originally Posted by gb6491 View Post
    I wondered if the same would happen with my CW45, but after having had both for awhile, they are both staying. The XD-S is good, with it's thinness being it's biggest draw for me. That extra round and that I shoot it better at longer ranges makes the CW45 a keeper for me. If I could only keep one, it would probably be the CW45, but, fortunately, that's not the case
    Regards,
    Greg
    I sense a cm45 in your future! lol
    Focus on your front sight..... The rest should be blurry!

You know, I have no issue with the feel of the gun. I have a couple other Springfields and feel they point naturally and shoot great. My eyeball says the XDS is a little thinner than the Kahr PM45. The first five shots I fired at a small sihlloutte at 10 yards were all head shots with one being a right ear shot. I'm no Wyatt Earp, but a decent shot.

I traded some stuff for an XD Tactical in .45GAP since I have a Glock in .45GAP and I like it a lot, it will become my nightstand gun. I like it because it's got a smaller grip similar to 9mm and my wife can hold it more securely.

My criteria is sort of what a pistol does when you point shoot, not really looking at the sights. The XDS impressed me.

have a PM9, was considering trading in for a PM45, but now I see that this XDS is out...............still a big fan of Kahr's triggers.....any thoughts?