Crimsontrace   Tommy Gun   Mitch Rosen   Tommy Gun Shop

Thread: XDS versus PM45

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default XDS versus PM45

Well, even after reading all the criticism of the XDS, I grabbed one cheap.

I field stripped her and found the internals looked like the product of high quality control. She was well lubed from the factory, but I cleaned the test residue and lubed with Tetra, the white stuff that looks a little like, nevermind.

I shot about 250 rounds, which was a pain since I only had the 5 round mags. Luckily I had the Uplula speed loader!

She fired couple hundred rounds of three types of ball, not one issue. I fired WWB cheap hollow points, HST's and Ranger T's. Not one single issue of any type.

It shoots as well as my PM45, and, dare I say, maybe a little more instinctive to point and about the same accuracy. I found at 25 yards, shots were in about a 6 inch group when fired at a reasonable rate of combat type speed.

To compare the two, the slides looked about the same, quality control wise. The frame on the XDS looked sturdier and didn't have the "shavings
    we see as the frame wears in on the PM45. My PM45's have had a few issues with feeding and function, but the factory is very cooperative with repairs. The trigger on the PM45 seemed a little better, but just a tiny bit.

I think the recoil was maybe 10% less on the Springfield, just an impression from the gut. I liked the Springfield sights a lot better. Magazines are an issue, availability wise and the Springfield has an all to familiar isuue/complaint regarding the 7 round mag. just like the Kahr.

My plan is to order the Laserlyte rear sight, having had a good experience with one on a Glock and make this little guy in the rotation with the PM45 when Kahr gets it right.

Overall, I have a greater confidence level in the XDS from this experience. I understand they are sensitive to the striker channel being cleaned out well. My issue with the Kahr, which I think has the capability of being a better gun, is, with the expense of ammo these days, it takes a hundred bucks to validate every repair and try to re establish an appropriate confidence level.

The Springfield, of course, had a 1911 style grip safety and it rides perfectly in a Bullard gunleather holster for a Glock 19, it rides a little deep and that's fine with me. I have the PJ holster for the PM45 and have one ordered for the Springfield.

On the holster issue, both guns have a virtually identical size with the Springer looking 1/8 inch longer or so. The both fit in the Bullard bodyguard Glock 19 holster with the FBI cant (owb). I did generously apply Fiebings Tan Kote with a toothbrush inside on the raw leather and outside on the finished product. It seemed to give the holster a little more solid feel in addition to the waterproofing, etc.

All in all, I know this is a Kahr forum, but the little XDS might be a good alternative. I paid 525 new.
    Last edited by Shark1007; 08-26-2012 at 01:08 PM.