Crimsontrace   Xssights   Magnum Research new   CrossBreed Holsters

Thread: New M1 Carbine!

Talking New M1 Carbine!

Well I am back into an M1 Carbine again! I sold off my last one years ago and wished I had not. Fortunately I kept the ammo just in case. I now have a very nice AO Paratrooper model. I will post pics later this weekend. That and 10 new in wrapper Korean 30 round mags will make for a lot of fun at the range. I am also thinking this will be a good rifle to have my 8 year old son shoot as it fits his stature very well. I have to start him off right you know!

John
    Chief Administrator
    Kahrtalk.com

Congratulations, John. The last time I fired one of those was around September 1964 at Lackland AFB, Texas, in Basic Training. About 300 fellow recruits and I cut loose at the firing range... with NO hearing protection -- different times! I actually fired 3 and barely qualified when I should have made expert. The first two were so bad that even the TI's couldn't hit the target! I didn't get any extra rounds for the bad carbines. I should have shot at the hill to see where the bullet was going.) It's a b!tch to sight in from scratch at 100 yards and you have no idea where the bullets are going!
    I wish Ruger would make one in .45 ACP for home defense.
    Wynn
    USAF Retired '88, NRA Life Member. Wife USAF Retired '96
    Avatar: Wynn re-enlists his wife Desiree, circa 1988 Loring AFB, ME. 42nd BMW, Heavy (SAC) B-52G's
    Frédéric Bastiat’s essay, The Law: http://mises.org/books/thelaw.pdf

Thomas Jefferson said

“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.”
    and

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

They are definitely fun little carbines. Some pics are below. Nothing great, but it is too cloudy for outside shots. The Korean mags look pretty nice as well. I am eager to get this one out to the range.

John
    Chief Administrator
    Kahrtalk.com

Your definitely starting the boy out right. He's one lucky guy and I hope he knows it. Have fun with that.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

I don't think it was the first time I shot one, but when I was about 14 or 15 I sneaked my step-father's M1 Carbine out of the house and fired one shot at a china berry tree -- not very hard wood -- about 9 to 10 inches thick. That FMJ went clean through the tree! Oops! I was a little surprised. We lived across the street from a school and there were houses around, just not like the ones nowadays 8 to 10 feet apart for the easements, or they would probably be closer!
    I used to sneak out my mother's Star .25 auto -- tiny, scary thing. It had no exposed hammer and I was sure if it was on "safe" or not. One time I pulled the trigger to see if it was "safe". It wasn't and my buddy was a little surprised when the round hit the dirt about 5 feet or so behind him where he was digging bullets out of the ground or something, while squatting. I became a little more conscientious about safety after that... a little more.
    Added: I remember there was a bullet lodged in one of the drawers of my mother's chest-of-drawers... I think it was the drawer where she "hid" the gun. I don't recall how it got there or if I even did it, but it was an angled shot and you could see the bullet if you looked down the hole with the light at the right angle. I think someone ELSE checked the safety, too!
    Those carbines are definitely good plinkers when you get tired of .22s and don't want a sore shoulder with the BIG boys. I always wanted the M-2 model, though.
    Wynn
    USAF Retired '88, NRA Life Member. Wife USAF Retired '96
    Avatar: Wynn re-enlists his wife Desiree, circa 1988 Loring AFB, ME. 42nd BMW, Heavy (SAC) B-52G's
    Frédéric Bastiat’s essay, The Law: http://mises.org/books/thelaw.pdf

Thomas Jefferson said

“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.”
    and

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Congrats on the M1 Carbine! I don't own one but would like to. A couple years ago we had a USPSA match using WW2 guns and a buddy gave me the M1 to shoot. I fell in love with it that day. Easy and accurate gun to just pick up and go with. Being "fun sized" (not MUCH bigger than an 8 yr. old) I can say that it's a very manageable and fun gun. He'll love it!:4:

Al Sharon Guest

Default M1 Carbine Magazines

John,
    How do you like the Korean M1 Carbine magazines? I have both the 15 round and 30 round versions. They seem to be well made and function perfectly in my AO carbine.

I donated all my other (junk) magazines to another M1 Carbine owner.
    Have fun, Al

Mind if i ask how much you paid for it?