Magnum Research new   Crimsontrace   Kahr Shop   Xssights
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How tight is your 1911 C

Question How tight is your 1911 C

My DE 1911 C is a great shooter and works with out issue the first 18-24 rounds, but then it will start to fail to return to full battery. Once or twice with each mag I have to push the slide the last 1/2 inch to get the gun back in battery. The slide to frame fit is very tight, no slop at all. I have a number of other 1911's and this DE is very very snug.

I changed out the recoil spring to a new Wolf standard power spring and it did help, before that change it would fail to lock the slide back on the last round.

Not sure if I should try a extra power recoil spring or just keep shooting until I break it in; I have about 200 rd down range.

I never had that issue with mine, wait, you said C, I have the full size.

Are you lubing the rails pretty well? I use TW25 grease on my rails. I would not describe mine as excessively tight, it's not sloppy by any stretch.

I'd be tempted to just keep it well lubed and shoot it some more. The new spring should not have been necessary but maybe it just had a weak one to start with. Really no way to tell.

I'm expecting some recoil spring myself this week. Just in case. I've never replaced one but I know my day will come and want one on hand if need be.

Have we seen a picture of the 1911C yet? I don't recall.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

[QUOTE=Bawanna;182295]I never had that issue with mine, wait, you said C, I have the full size.

Are you lubing the rails pretty well? I use TW25 grease on my rails. I would not describe mine as excessively tight, it's not sloppy by any stretch.

I'd be tempted to just keep it well lubed and shoot it some more. The new spring should not have been necessary but maybe it just had a weak one to start with. Really no way to tell.

I'm expecting some recoil spring myself this week. Just in case. I've never replaced one but I know my day will come and want one on hand if need be.

I am using a grease on the rails, the product is called Super Lube.
    the recoil spring did feel a little weak when I compared it some other 4" 1911s I have, the new one from Wolf does feel stronger. The C has a full length guide rod and the barrel has a rised area that fits into the barrel bushing, the barrel and bushing also have a very tight fit.
    I will keep on putting rounds down range and see how things work out.
    The fit and finish on this gun is top rate, very nice.
    Thanks for the input.

I will send a picture, I put some VZ grips on it, I think they look good

Quote Originally Posted by gunmut View Post
    My DE 1911 C is a great shooter and works with out issue the first 18-24 rounds, but then it will start to fail to return to full battery. Once or twice with each mag I have to push the slide the last 1/2 inch to get the gun back in battery. The slide to frame fit is very tight, no slop at all. I have a number of other 1911's and this DE is very very snug.

I changed out the recoil spring to a new Wolf standard power spring and it did help, before that change it would fail to lock the slide back on the last round.

Not sure if I should try a extra power recoil spring or just keep shooting until I break it in; I have about 200 rd down range.
    Have you tried a magazine from one of these in your DE1911?
    If you haven't already, you might want to pull the DE's extractor to give it and it's tunnel in the slide a good cleaning.
    Regards,
    Greg

do you mean DE as in Delta Elite?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by JERRY View Post
    do you mean DE as in Delta Elite?

No offense, but I hate you. That is all kinds of purdy.

P.s. where in AL are you on the job?
    Attitude: it takes 43 muscles to frown, 17 to smile...and 3 for proper trigger squeeze.

The olive branch is considered a symbol of peace, and good will. Last time I checked, it's still a switch.

rather not say exactly, but in near the Ga. line near I-85....

these are old pix and taken from a cell phone so you'll have to excuse the quality.....the blue carbon creation grips look so good against the stainless steel.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Roger on the locale. Seeing those grips, they're almost as purdy as my Bawanna's. If our master grip maker hadn't made mine I'd consider something like that, looks fine. Love that pistol too.
    Attitude: it takes 43 muscles to frown, 17 to smile...and 3 for proper trigger squeeze.

The olive branch is considered a symbol of peace, and good will. Last time I checked, it's still a switch.

Quote Originally Posted by gb6491 View Post
    Have you tried a magazine from one of these in your DE1911?
    If you haven't already, you might want to pull the DE's extractor to give it and it's tunnel in the slide a good cleaning.
    Regards,
    Greg

I have used a few different mags in my 1911C, the result has been the same. I have not pulled the top end down to clean, I will do that.

I knew a fella once who added a bit of valve lapping compound to to his lube and then racked the slide a few hundred times. Smoothed things out real fine. I'm not recommending this procedure. Just sayin'.
    Never trust anyone who doesn't trust you to own a gun.

Life Member - NRA
    Colt Gold Cup 70 series
    Colt Woodsman
    Ruger Mark III .22-45
    Kahr CM9
    Kahr P380