Crimsontrace   Mitch Rosen   Tommy Gun   Tommy Gun Shop
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: How To "Detail Strip" the Kahr's Upper!

Be aware that the small opening in the rear is not fully open, there's only about 1/2 a hole there in which to use a small tool to push the retention spring away from the rear plate.
    Judging by today's left wing, looks like Senator Joe McCarthy was right after all.

Quote Originally Posted by ripley16 View Post
    Be aware that the small opening in the rear is not fully open, there's only about 1/2 a hole there in which to use a small tool to push the retention spring away from the rear plate.
    True, the little hole is deceiving, it's smaller than it looks, you can push but if you don't hit the small half hole your not accomplishing anything.

Pyro, I'm glad you found the pieces, it's kind of like winning the lottery when you find the long lost part. Kind of a yee haw moment, been there many times.

That spring will actually improve a bit over time too once it acquires a little bit of a set. I ran the trigger gauge when I installed mine and there wasn't that much difference, but I had a pretty light end original. It improved a bit after one range visit. Does make a difference.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

I have been using an eye glass screw driver too push the small circle but it will not budge. Is it that tight?

First few times the rear plate can sometimes be hard to get started. Might have to depress that pin and pry a tad on the plate itself.
    My first time I thought I was depressing but I really wasn't, then when I did get it pushed in the plate was tight. It's not hard if you know what to expect.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Try a drop of oil to penetrate the sides of the plate that fit together with the sides of the slide. Also mark your screwdriver with a pencil at the edge of the plate so you can see if you are depressing it. The spring need only move a few milimeters to relieve pressure on the plate. A thin blade, slotted screwdriver may be needed to pry and move the plate down initially.
    Judging by today's left wing, looks like Senator Joe McCarthy was right after all.

Success! ! Got home from work last night, pulled the slide off the frame, took out the barrel and recoil spring, grabbed my tiny screw driver and pushed like mad. I finally felt it move!! Now I know what to look for. Thanks for the info!!!!!

Glad it worked out for you. Strongly suggest doing the dis assembly inside a large plastic bag. Sort of like a motorcycle helmet. Won't prevent the explosion of parts but you'll be able to locate all the parts.

Sold all my guns. I dislike firearms.
    NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    That notch in the rail is supposed to be there

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."
    --Thomas Jefferson (1764).

Guys - new to the forum and late to this awesome post. I just got an MK40 used and believe it either has original or original replacement springs. Seller didn't know - so I'm planning a full spring , guide rod, striker spring, and possibly striker replacement. These discussions help the helpless. And I know where I fit, until I've dismantled the weapon, lost a small part, ordered the replacement, and found the missing piece on the day the mailman comes with the new part. Dilemma! Put the old back in or replace with new? Ain't life grand!

That is a handy PDF to have around, thanks!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Thanks Great Info
    Jim