Tommy Gun Shop   Magnum Research new   Kahr Shop   Xssights
Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Chambering the first round, a slingshot modification

also not sure this magaazine thing is AN EXACT SCIENCE EITHER.
    . My PM9 has over 40,000+ rounds through it, and runs much better than an illegal trying to get across our border

NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER

MAY GOD BLESS MUGGSY

Quote Originally Posted by jocko View Post
    also not sure this magaazine thing is AN EXACT SCIENCE EITHER.

I think they just take a "similar to" approach. They find something similiar and scale it to fit.

Have to disagree with Tilos. As an engineer I can say that you have good engineers and you have lazy engineers. And this mag is a good example of a lazy engineering job. And yes, to redesign this plastic mag and go into production you would need a new injection mold. But to prototype one from nylon you only need a bandsaw and a file. Or I could go old school and make it from metal. Just 1/8" thick steel the width of the mag and 2 right angle bends for the guide legs.

John222:
    I'm not quite sure what you are disagreeing with, I never said anything about prototyping a new follower from nylon or metal.
    And even after the prototype process and testing, a new mold($$$) still needs to be made.

I said modifying the existing follower design, as a typical gun owner, we can only REMOVE material.

I wouldn't say lazy engineers, but perhaps less talented, and many spend their careers tweeking someone elses break through patentable design (I have 2).

Cheers
    Tilos

I'm done with this thread and give anyone else the last word

Default maybe u

Quote Originally Posted by John222 View Post
    I think they just take a "similar to" approach. They find something similiar and scale it to fit.

Have to disagree with Tilos. As an engineer I can say that you have good engineers and you have lazy engineers. And this mag is a good example of a lazy engineering job. And yes, to redesign this plastic mag and go into production you would need a new injection mold. But to prototype one from nylon you only need a bandsaw and a file. Or I could go old school and make it from metal. Just 1/8" thick steel the width of the mag and 2 right angle bends for the guide legs.
    should just do this and prove to yourself it can be done with perfection. 98% of us are not engineers and there are many titles of engineers to, some who cannot make a peanut butter sandwich without reading te directions on the jar and some who can make a PC with their eyes closed. My son is a Rose Hulman mechancial engineer that I truly would not trust in building a PC, nor would he

U make a good one that works and eliminates all the supposed issues that kahr mags give, I can assure you, this forum will back u 100% with orders.
    . My PM9 has over 40,000+ rounds through it, and runs much better than an illegal trying to get across our border

NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER

MAY GOD BLESS MUGGSY

I'll take a stab at it over the winter. It looks to me that the barrel side of the follower needs to be able to tilt up another 10 degrees when the mag is full. However, when the mag is full the follower is almost fully depressed, not leaving much room to work with.

a follow up video shot today........

http://youtu.be/WYlA4BouR-g
    "So Others May Live"

PM9/night sights/CM9 barrel
    PM40/night sights

if you put the mag spring on 9 & 40 mags into the follower without tension the sping in one direction centers in the mag. if you swap ends with the spring it touches the back of the mag i have always put the springs in with the end that centers in mag against the folower. should they be the other way. is this a effort by kahr to change pressure on follower.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsea View Post

Nice!

Quote Originally Posted by jimsea View Post

Great comparison
    A servant of my Lord and Saviour, Jesus

Quote Originally Posted by gb6491 View Post
    OK folks, here's how I did it (it's not a "how to do it", so proceed with caution and at your own risk if decide to attempt something similar)So for now, Greg
    I just did this modification to one of the mags for my CW9 and It worked fantastic. I can now hand cycle the slide as slowly as I want and it will feed the first round with no nose-dive. And this is with hollow points. I plan to shoot it some before doing the rest of my mags just to be sure there are no negative side effects. For now I'm a very happy camper!

P.S. Makes me wonder why they don't come this way.