CrossBreed Holsters   Crimsontrace   Xssights   Tommy Gun
Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617

Thread: Chambering the first round, a slingshot modification

I think I will add a bevel back on the follower. It would allow the follower to travel up and be better captured by the magazine case. I think it might raise approx. .040.

For the record I did add the bevel back on the follower on all my magazines and ran thru 3 sets on two of the mags. No problem and btw the follower did come up from the spring pressure to rest at the top edge of the steel mag.

Quote Originally Posted by xsailer View Post
    gb6491,
    A question please that I may have overlooked within the thread:
    Do you recommend the bevel (both sides) along the length of the follower be added back to the area removed by sanding off .06 of the rails?

I just did the mod on 3 6rd and 1 7rd Kahr magazines with relative ease. Must be careful to remove evenly and parallel to surface being removed. I've by hand run rds thru all mags and seems to work fine. I slow chambered both before and after mod and the mod definitely helps. Could not do it before mod.
    I might mention, cover the your hands with a towel when removing the magazine spring cover and its inside retainer as this will save 45 mins and many cuss words finding the DAMN thing.

Very informative and apparently helpful this thread. Thank you and the others for spending the time to inform.

bob
    this is exactly what i did, and it works perfectly. now, if only i could figure out my fail-to-reset problem...

Kahr1,
    I found it near impossible to be exact with the parallel removal of material. That being said doing it by hand is not difficult to do it's just difficult to remove material as machine would. Several folks now, including me and now you, have found after they did it and in spite of the probable inaccuracy, the action works better. So there must be a tolerance one way or the other that is acceptable.

I don't understand your comment "fail-to-reset problem..."

Quote Originally Posted by xsailer View Post
    Kahr1,
    I found it near impossible to be exact with the parallel removal of material. That being said doing it by hand is not difficult to do it's just difficult to remove material as machine would. Several folks now, including me and now you, have found after they did it and in spite of the probable inaccuracy, the action works better. So there must be a tolerance one way or the other that is acceptable.

I don't understand your comment "fail-to-reset problem..."
    last time out, after about a hundred rounds, it failed to reset- a major problem for a self defense weapon. i got some valuable input from another member, and i should be able to get it handled. i prefer fixing these things myself, as i'm the only one i trust.

I'm interested too ..

Default Magazine mods for even those that avoid changes to stuff

I just got the CM45 and have been reading up on all the fixes here in the forum.
    This mod is totally reversible!
    I installed the chip McCormick follower and spring reusing the original base plate assembly.

this change should fix early mag drop, first round tipping, failure to fully chamber.

1 remove the base plate, spring, follower.
    2 get the spring and follower.
    check that the follower slides from top to bottom freely I had to lightly stone the sides of the follower for clearance.
    the follower has a hook to catch the looped end of the spring.
    3 place the follower on top of the looped end of the spring.
    put the two into the mag. then push the tail of the spring in all the way, put original base inside with the button facing out, push it in and slide the outer base on to the lips and slide on until it clicks on to the inner button.

some times when empty the follower tips forward but this has not affected function. inserting the first round moves it back where it belongs.
    I slow chambered no problem!
    no nose dives!
    no mag drops!
    no grinding mag lips!
    Excellent slide lock on empty!

I have the 5 round mag and I got 2 7 rounders' for reloading.
    If I empty the first mag my thinking is that I want all the ammo I can get.

the only new issue with the modified magazines is that they all now hold one round more.
    the 5 now holds 6, the 7 mow hold 8. so 1+ 6+ 8+ 8+ = 23 not bad for CCW.

The following links are so you can see what I used. you can shop around chip has these packaged in 1, 4, 10 packs with prices dropping as the count goes up.

I had some old mags with springs and followers in them from when I played IPSC. so I just pulled the parts and tried them in the Kahr mags.

spring,
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/621239/chip-mccormick-shooting-star-magazine-spring-1911-government-commander-45-acp-8-round

follower,
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/427891/chip-mccormick-shooting-star-replacement-magazine-follower-1911-45-acp

Quote Originally Posted by Badbot View Post

I have the 5 round mag and I got 2 7 rounders' for reloading.
    If I empty the first mag my thinking is that I want all the ammo I can get.

the only new issue with the modified magazines is that they all now hold one round more.
    the 5 now holds 6, the 7 mow hold 8. so 1+ 6+ 8+ 8+ = 23 not bad for CCW.

The following links are so you can see what I used. you can shop around chip has these packaged in 1, 4, 10 packs with prices dropping as the count goes up.

I had some old mags with springs and followers in them from when I played IPSC. so I just pulled the parts and tried them in the Kahr mags.
    Interesting. Did you use the same spring in both the 5 and 7 round mags?
    Kahr P380 x2
    Kahr K9
    Kahr CM45
    Sig P938
    Sig P365 x2
    Sig P322
    1911 Range Officer 9mm
    M&P 9mm