CrossBreed Holsters   Crimsontrace   Xssights   Tommy Gun
Page 26 of 27 FirstFirst ... 1624252627 LastLast

Thread: Proper prep of a new kahr

Quote Originally Posted by Ed M View Post
    The MK9 comes with a plastic striker spring guide. It also has plastic in the recoil spring assembly.

I wouldn't use that stuff on the slide any more.

My MK9 has a stainless striker spring guide from Galloway Precision.

Walmart time - just make sure it's the CRC that states "non-chorinated", 50 state formula.

The CRC green can also works great to clean out mags and also the grip assembly. Removes all dirt and lube. Have to relube it when dry.

Don't forget to take the grips off the MK every so often and clean and re-lube under them. That area is prone to rust. Stainless DOES rust.
    Thanks for the info.
    Great advice.

I just called Birchwood Casey in Texas. I was told there's only one formula for Gunscrubber now. The single purpose and synthetic safe are the same ingredients.
    An Amazon buyer said that he researched and found the same thing.
    However, I won't use it again. LOL.

Speaking of grips...
    I got this gun today I never had a gun with grip screws like this. How do I get these off? Torx?

Good to hear about the Gun Scrubber. I'd say you're good to use it.

Looks like torx screws to me. Here's a really good kit I bought at Harbor Freight. Others here have the same one and like it too.

https://www.harborfreight.com/32-pie...ers-97517.html

You can also get small o-rings to put on the screws under the screw head. You can put more than one on if needed. Lets you keep the screw flush with the grip, while keeping them from loosening up.

You can get them in the plumbing dept at Home Depot.

Here's my baby:

MK.jpg

Twins!
    Thanks, Ed!

The MK9 comes with a plastic striker spring guide. It also has plastic in the recoil spring assembly.

I wouldn't use that stuff on the slide any more.

My MK9 has a stainless striker spring guide from Galloway Precision.

Walmart time - just make sure it's the CRC that states "non-chorinated", 50 state formula.

The CRC green can also works great to clean out mags and also the grip assembly. Removes all dirt and lube. Have to relube it when dry.

Don't forget to take the grips off the MK every so often and clean and re-lube under them. That area is prone to rust. Stainless DOES rust.
    Ed, I went to the Galloway sight and don't a listing for an MK9. I notice there's not too much out there for MK9's.
    MK9 Elite w/Night Sights / Wood Grips
    P380 w/Night Sights
    Glock 30 w/ TruGlo TFX Pro / Streamlight TLR-6
    Glock 26 Gen 5 w/Night Sights
    Glock 42 TruGlo TFX Pro
    Sig P365 w/Night Sights / CT Green Laser
    HK VP9SK w/Night Sights
    Walther PPQ M2 45acp w/TruGlo TFX Pro / TLR-7

Quote Originally Posted by joeb View Post
    Ed, I went to the Galloway sight and don't a listing for an MK9. I notice there's not too much out there for MK9's.
    Gotta look closer.

https://gallowayprecision.com/kahr/c...9-cw9-and-cw40

I stopped using gun scrubber when I read a post about Ballistol Milk. 10% ballistol and 90% water. I have a large jar that sometimes I will just dunk the slind or magazine into and I have a spray bottle. I would never use any kind of Lubricant in a striker channel. Ballistol does not gunk up. (recidify). I then use a can of compressed air to spray out the channel. What is particularly nice about the Milk is the fact that when it drys it leaves a very FINE and SLICK lube. Makes magazines almost too slippery.

My two cents for prep.

1)As soon as I get the gun home I loaded the magazines up to full capacity and let the springs take a "Set" for at least 48 hrs.
    2) Rack the slide and have the Recoil Spring take a "Set" for 48 hrs
    3) Then, I rack the slide over and over while watching the TV. I do NOT Clean the gun at this point. I want the grime to act as a sandpaper effect.
    4) I take a Dowel and exercise the striker Spring over and over. UP and Down.
    5) I take a UPULA and place a few rounds in the magazines and exercise the Springs
    6) I race the slide over and over with out the Recoil spring.
    7) I then wash out the entire gun with Ballistol Milk to include trigger group. The spay all parts with the Ballistol.
    8) Let dry to a slick finish.

*The biggest errors in shooting a new gun have IMO been users Limp Wristing, Or riding the slide and blaming on the firearm.

* Invest in a Sonic Cleaner. Just a small one is fine and you can use Ballistol Milk as a solution. Or the concentrated "One Shot". Then Lube with the Ballistol. Be sure to spay out with compressed Air.

Again, just my two cents. All I can say is, all my guns run fine.

Yes, I ordered last night. I misread Ed's post and it said a striker.
    P380 w/Night Sights
    Glock 42 TruGlo TFX Pro
    HK VP9SK w/Night Sights

Quote Originally Posted by King Rat View Post
    I stopped using gun scrubber when I read a post about Ballistol Milk. 10% ballistol and 90% water. I have a large jar that sometimes I will just dunk the slind or magazine into and I have a spray bottle. I would never use any kind of Lubricant in a striker channel. Ballistol does not gunk up. (recidify). I then use a can of compressed air to spray out the channel. What is particularly nice about the Milk is the fact that when it drys it leaves a very FINE and SLICK lube. Makes magazines almost too slippery.

My two cents for prep.

1)As soon as I get the gun home I loaded the magazines up to full capacity and let the springs take a "Set" for at least 48 hrs.
    2) Rack the slide and have the Recoil Spring take a "Set" for 48 hrs
    3) Then, I rack the slide over and over while watching the TV. I do NOT Clean the gun at this point. I want the grime to act as a sandpaper effect.
    4) I take a Dowel and exercise the striker Spring over and over. UP and Down.
    5) I take a UPULA and place a few rounds in the magazines and exercise the Springs
    6) I race the slide over and over with out the Recoil spring.
    7) I then wash out the entire gun with Ballistol Milk to include trigger group. The spay all parts with the Ballistol.
    8) Let dry to a slick finish.

*The biggest errors in shooting a new gun have IMO been users Limp Wristing, Or riding the slide and blaming on the firearm.

* Invest in a Sonic Cleaner. Just a small one is fine and you can use Ballistol Milk as a solution. Or the concentrated "One Shot". Then Lube with the Ballistol. Be sure to spay out with compressed Air.

Again, just my two cents. All I can say is, all my guns run fine.
    Nice, thanks.
    P380 w/Night Sights
    Glock 42 TruGlo TFX Pro
    HK VP9SK w/Night Sights

@King Rat. Do you build the gun to? I have had great results just following the sticky. I do admire your dedication to preparedness though.