Tommy Gun   Mitch Rosen   Magnum Research new   Tommy Gun Shop
Page 25 of 27 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 LastLast

Thread: Proper prep of a new kahr

Quote Originally Posted by getsome View Post
    I thought there was a picture on here somewhere but it you have the slide off turn it upside down, sights facing down with the muzzle pointing away and you will see a center ridge on the striker end and the little clean out hole will be on the right side about 1/4 inch back from the muzzle end of the ridge...A red plastic spray can tube will fit that hole tightly so push it in until it is snug and spray the gun scrubber and you will see the spray coming out the striker hole and if you can take your thumb and push back and forth on the striker where the spring is while spraying that will clean it out good...Wear SAFETY GLASSES!....Gun scrubber or non chlorinated brake cleaner in the eye will make you start speaking in tongues, don't ask how I know this....Hope that's somewhat clear so spray away and don't put any lube on the striker itself but lube up everything good and go shooting....Good luck and if you need any other help let us know...Hopefully somebody has a picture they can post, kinda hard to describe with words but the little hole is there and if a spray tube fits in there, you found it..
    Thanks, getsome.
    Hole in front of that #9 arrow point?

Yep, that would be it, just stick the tube in there real good and go at it....and if you can push back and forth on #7 it will help clean out the channel....I knew there was a picture somewhere which makes things much easier to describe....

One last thing about Gun Scrubber or Non Chlorinated Brake cleaner, it's very strong stuff and WILL take the white paint stripe off the rear sight on standard pistols without night sights...I much prefer to use Electronic Cleaner to clean guns with because it works fine and dries almost instantly and won't harm painted surfaces....

Quote Originally Posted by getsome View Post
    One last thing about Gun Scrubber or Non Chlorinated Brake cleaner, it's very strong stuff and WILL take the white paint stripe off the rear sight on standard pistols without night sights...I much prefer to use Electronic Cleaner to clean guns with because it works fine and dries almost instantly and won't harm painted surfaces....
    Great tips.
    I am waiting for Gunscrubber from Amazon Saturday.
    I have a few handguns with night sights and some without. Great info on the paint issue on non night sights.

On that lube diagram.....see the hole in the slide by the bottom arrow #9 ?

Stick the red tube that comes with the spray can in that hole and blast away. It's often called a weep hole.

Never had an issue with non-chlorinated brake cleaner damaging sight paint. $3 per can vs $15 for Gunscrubber SYNTHETIC SAFE (yes - there is TWO formulations)

CRC.jpg $3 per can at Walmart.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed M View Post
    On that lube diagram.....see the hole in the slide by the bottom arrow #9 ?

Stick the red tube that comes with the spray can in that hole and blast away. It's often called a weep hole.

Never had an issue with non-chlorinated brake cleaner damaging sight paint. $3 per can vs $15 for Gunscrubber SYNTHETIC SAFE (yes - there is TWO formulations)

CRC.jpg $3 per can at Walmart.
    Thanks!
    I already ordered the Gunscubber which is actually coming today.
    That can should last me quite awhile.

It should last a very long time. One only needs to go easy on that stuff, a couple quick little blast and your good. I wouldn't even do it every cleaning, only every maybe 4th or 5th.
    I don't even do that, I can strip the slide easy enough so I just take it apart once or twice a year and clean out the channel.

Leave it dry.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Just make sure the Gun Scrubber is the synthetic safe version.

Regular Gun Scrubber eats plastic. The striker spring guide in Kahrs is plastic. That version can eat the paint off sights, too.

Getsome mentioned pulling the striker back and forth while spraying. You may have to press the striker safety down (#8 in diagram) while pulling the striker to the rear. Sounds harder than it is to do.

I don't clean the striker channel every cleaning either. Depends on how much I shoot that gun, but every other cleaning sounds about right to me.

Here's a pic of the Synthetic Safe version of Gun Scrubber...

Gunscrubber ss.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Ed M View Post
    Just make sure the Gun Scrubber is the synthetic safe version.

Regular Gun Scrubber eats plastic. The striker spring guide in Kahrs is plastic. That version can eat the paint off sights, too.

Getsome mentioned pulling the striker back and forth while spraying. You may have to press the striker safety down (#8 in diagram) while pulling the striker to the rear. Sounds harder than it is to do.

I don't clean the striker channel every cleaning either. Depends on how much I shoot that gun, but every other cleaning sounds about right to me.

Here's a pic of the Synthetic Safe version of Gun Scrubber...

Gunscrubber ss.jpg
    Ut-oh
    The one used does not say synthetic safe.
    I used it on the MK9. Any chance that striker isn't plastic?

It does say it on the ad but not the can

https://www.amazon.com/Birchwood-Cas...77&sr=8-1&th=1

The MK9 comes with a plastic striker spring guide. It also has plastic in the recoil spring assembly.

I wouldn't use that stuff on the slide any more.

My MK9 has a stainless striker spring guide from Galloway Precision.

Walmart time - just make sure it's the CRC that states "non-chorinated", 50 state formula.

The CRC green can also works great to clean out mags and also the grip assembly. Removes all dirt and lube. Have to relube it when dry.

Don't forget to take the grips off the MK every so often and clean and re-lube under them. That area is prone to rust. Stainless DOES rust.