CrossBreed Holsters   Tommy Gun   Magnum Research new   Tommy Gun Shop
Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Proper prep of a new kahr

Quote Originally Posted by jocko View Post
    assuming that you have broken in your new kahr before sending it to Robar. tob esure it is totally relaible before spending all that money for refinish work. It if is reliable, then you don't nee dto worry about #6. that was put in there to alert a person who might be having pre mature slide locking open.

If that happens, you can get a new slide lock from kahr to test out, or also file a tad of fon the inside where the round is hitting the slide lock lever. This is done alot on other model guns that have this issue. Or you can go to a different round and test out. One of the 3 will solve that issue,if one has it. Most kahrs do not have this issue, so fear not, your more than likely good to go. Hopefully you have put the normal break in rounds down range to feel confident of its reliability before letting Robar do their thing..
    Yes I did put 200 rounds of Magtech ammo through it to verify functioning. I had NO malfunctions and I even attemted to limp wrist it and also fired 25 rounds with my off hand. It was 100%!

Quote Originally Posted by Swat_dude View Post
    Yes I did put 200 rounds of Magtech ammo through it to verify functioning.
    That's hardly a proper break-in. Were those Magtech hollowpoints? Did you so any testing at all with your chosen carry ammo? Then some other types in case that's not available?

In that case you will really enjoy ur robared kahr. Their work is awesome to say the least. Nice to see you tried to limp the gun to. I have tried that many times and I cannot do it, hard to understand how some can do it and not be aware of it. I can limp my G19 easier but I have to try to do it also.

Sure wolud be nice to see some finished photos when u get it back.. I had a kel tec 380 once that I sent to APE Cogkan for a stain finish platign, he also ported that little sucker for me, like shown in his photos and did some action work (which was a wastee of money) anyway, after I got it back I fired about maybe 100 rounds or less out of it and damn if the recoil springws didn't fly right out the front of the slide. Not his fault but just a defective slide. Kel Tec replaced my slide with a blued slide only, and I was out all that custom work money, that why I wanted u to be sure the kahr was totally reliabe before spending good moeny on custom work, only to have a major issue that needs replacement. You seem good to go..

Jocko,

My thanks, took my new Kahr CW-9 to the range after following your post. 200 flawless rounds. :-D

Quote Originally Posted by sviking View Post
    That's hardly a proper break-in. Were those Magtech hollowpoints? Did you so any testing at all with your chosen carry ammo? Then some other types in case that's not available?
    Did you read the previous posts? This was just to eliminate the possibility of any issues prior to sending the gun to Robar. I already have 100 rounds of Gold Dot 124 gr +P's and 40 rounds of Corbon PB awaiting her return.

Quote Originally Posted by jocko View Post
    In that case you will really enjoy ur robared kahr. Their work is awesome to say the least. Nice to see you tried to limp the gun to. I have tried that many times and I cannot do it, hard to understand how some can do it and not be aware of it. I can limp my G19 easier but I have to try to do it also.

Sure wolud be nice to see some finished photos when u get it back.. I had a kel tec 380 once that I sent to APE Cogkan for a stain finish platign, he also ported that little sucker for me, like shown in his photos and did some action work (which was a wastee of money) anyway, after I got it back I fired about maybe 100 rounds or less out of it and damn if the recoil springws didn't fly right out the front of the slide. Not his fault but just a defective slide. Kel Tec replaced my slide with a blued slide only, and I was out all that custom work money, that why I wanted u to be sure the kahr was totally reliabe before spending good moeny on custom work, only to have a major issue that needs replacement. You seem good to go..
    Oh believe me I can relate. I had my Ruger LCP coated and then they had the dang recall. Robar was really cool about it and plated the new parts when I got the pistol back for only a $30 disassembly and reassembly fee. I will definitely post up some picks when I get it back.

Here ya go Ninja, I had a hard time finding it myself.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

crasha51pan Guest

Jocko

Bought 2 cans of 3M 08880, worked great. About polishing the metal. my dremmel has two brushes, one is wire and the other is bristle. Which one do I use, or does it matter ? Both are for polishing metal..

Hi crasha51pan, jocko is taking a nap right now....All you need is one of the wool polishing bits....You dont want to take off any metal, just polish it...I don't have a Dremel tool so this is what I did...Went to the auto parts store and bought some super fine 3M 1200 grit black wet or dry sandpaper and lightly polished the feed ramp and chamber by hand with that wrapped tightly around a wood dowel...I then took some Mother's metal polish and since I already had one of their cone shaped foam polishing tools (I use on my truck mag wheels, works great) I used it with the metal polish and a battery drill and made the whole barrel look like a mirror....Remember, easy does it, polish but don't take off any metal...Good luck and jocko will be up in a little while....

Quote Originally Posted by getsome View Post
    Hi crasha51pan, jocko is taking a nap right now....All you need is one of the wool polishing bits....You dont want to take off any metal, just polish it...I don't have a Dremel tool so this is what I did...Went to the auto parts store and bought some super fine 3M 1200 grit black wet or dry sandpaper and lightly polished the feed ramp and chamber by hand with that wrapped tightly around a wood dowel...I then took some Mother's metal polish and since I already had one of their cone shaped foam polishing tools (I use on my truck mag wheels, works great) I used it with the metal polish and a battery drill and made the whole barrel look like a mirror....Remember, easy does it, polish but don't take off any metal...Good luck and jocko will be up in a little while....
    Precisely correct getsome. Sparks mean moving metal=not good. I use the wet or dry on the dowel prior to the dremel myself. Any polish will help the process (with the dremel, not the wet or dry). I've used Flitz as well as regular polishing compound.
    I think Jocko woke up from his nap and went for a ride on his Harley. Suspect he'll be back shortly.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."