Kahr Shop   Tommy Gun Shop   Xssights   Mitch Rosen
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: cant get slide to come off...

I thought it was loaded! Can you pull the trig? If so give it a pull then a smack on the back of the slide.

It's not loaded. The trigger moves back and forth smoothly. I covered the end of the slide with a towel and placed it under the edge of a table while pulling up hard moving the trigger, nothing... still stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by BEARDOG View Post
    Hi KC,
    Ummmm. I don't think you want to drive that out with the slide lock inside the slide. It would at the least damage the slide lock half moon area, and could bend/gouge the slide.

First thought I can come up with... maybe it's caught on the cocking cam??? I don't have a P380 to look at, but looking at my CM9 I think you have the gotten the feed ramp pushed up against the slide stop pin and the cocking cam is behind the slide cover plate.

Try pulling the trigger and turning the gun upside down, and jiggling the slide, pushing forward trying to slide it off again????
    Don't force anything yet. But maybe a gentle bump with your palm to the back of the slide while doing the above????
    K.C.
    I agree with BEARDOG's assessment: it seems you were able to force the slide rearward enough to cross over the cam and the cocking lobe popped back up behind the rear slide cover. Unfortunately, it also appears that the trigger is still disconnected by the slide.

I think you have two options at this point:
    1. Try forcing the slide further rearward so the trigger connects and will operate the cam. When this happens you should be able to pull the trigger, hold it rearward, and pull the slide over the cam and off the frame.
    2. If you can't move the slide far enough rearward to connect the trigger, make yourself an "L" shaped tool (paper clip should work) and, space permitting (it will work on my CW9, but I don't know about the P380), wiggle it in under the rear of the slide and behind the cocking lobe on the cam. Once in place, try to force the cam's cocking lobe down by pulling the tool rearward. You'll need to manipulate the slide at the same time; both to give the cam enough room to cycle down and to get it off once the cam is down. I'll not lie and say it will be an easy dance, but it can be done.

Regards,
    Greg

Edit: I see, that as I was putting my reply together, CJB also suggested this as a fix, kudos. His idea to remove the side plate to manipulate the cam is a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by jocko View Post
    cjb. I don't think with slide positioned where it is at,,, that one can remove that back plate.
    My bad, you're right. I like the fish it out approach shown here - or maybe just remove the side plate, since its not loaded

Quote Originally Posted by K.C. View Post
    It's not loaded.
    That's good news. The folks at Kahr can probably handle this better than any of us. And . . . they have spare parts if anything gets broken. This can't be the first time they have been asked to help with something like this.

Yeah, I know it's an affront to our pride, but that's an expensive little toy best left to the gunsmiths at Kahr.
    It would be so nice if something made sense for a change.
    -- Alice in Lewis Carroll's Alice's Adventures in Wonderland

I think GB has got it. This is about what I was trying to remember with my CW9 when I had the similar issue with the slide.

Quote Originally Posted by gb6491 View Post
    K.C.
    I agree with BEARDOG's assessment: it seems you were able to force the slide rearward enough to cross over the cam and the cocking lobe popped back up behind the rear slide cover. Unfortunately, it also appears that the trigger is still disconnected by the slide.

I think you have two options at this point:
    1. Try forcing the slide further rearward so the trigger connects and will operate the cam. When this happens you should be able to pull the trigger, hold it rearward, and pull the slide over the cam and off the frame.
    2. If you can't move the slide far enough rearward to connect the trigger, make yourself an "L" shaped tool (paper clip should work) and, space permitting (it will work on my CW9, but I don't know about the P380), wiggle it in under the rear of the slide and behind the cocking lobe on the cam. Once in place, try to force the cam's cocking lobe down by pulling the tool rearward. You'll need to manipulate the slide at the same time; both to give the cam enough room to cycle down and to get it off once the cam is down. I'll not lie and say it will be an easy dance, but it can be done.

Regards,
    Greg
    One word about gregs post..........awesome I wish I could visualize what he would be fishing for with that tool. Heck, I just pull triggers.

Default That's why I call him...

Quote Originally Posted by knkali View Post
    One word about gregs post..........awesome I wish I could visualize what he would be fishing for with that tool. Heck, I just pull triggers.
    Professor Greg to the rescue!! Nice pics and post - very helpful. I just pull triggers too.

Quote Originally Posted by knkali View Post
    I'm all for pulling triggers myself
    My concern is that the slide is not in the right position and will be pressing the trigger bar down, disconnecting the trigger from the cocking cam. If that's the case, then the cam will have to be manipulated by another means (in this case a paper clip). The tool is slid under the slide to hook the backside of the cam's cocking lobe. Once hooked, the idea is to pull it rearward, which will rotate it down and out of the way. Then the slide can be slid forward and off the frame. Sorry for not being clearer in my previous post.

BTW, CJB is correct, the same end result could be accomplished by removing the side plate and manipulating the cam from there.

MikeyKahr,
    Thanks

Regards,
    Greg

in his photo his slide is a 1/4" in front of those back rails, in GB p;hoto his tutorial slide is sitting on the rails. I would guess maybe 3/8" difference whenu compare . I think I would pull the side panel as one suggested to view to see if thatis indeed locking the slide and proceed then either way. I guess I am still undecided if indeed itis the cocking cam causing this as th eposition of his P380 slide at least to me does not indicate that. If the trigger is moving freely wouldthat not indicate that the cocking cam is moving also??
    . My PM9 has over 40,000+ rounds through it, and runs much better than an illegal trying to get across our border

NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER

MAY GOD BLESS MUGGSY