Mitch Rosen   Crimsontrace   Tommy Gun Shop   Magnum Research new

Thread: Excessive frame wear under guide rod?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Excessive frame wear under guide rod?

Hi all. First post here.

I am in the market for a carry gun and like the size, weight, and trigger feel of the Kahr P/CW line. I have a Sig 239, but is a bit heavy for daily concealed carry.

I like the CW 9, but would prefer the black slide with night sights. I hope to pick up a good used P9 for a little more than a new CW 9.

I found one at a lgs, but when I removed the slide, I could see the metal reinforcement in the frame under the guide rod area. It looks like the polymer may have been worn off by the spring. Is this normal?

A picture would help, but no that is NOT common.

You probably know that the front rails are on a single piece of steel molded into the plastic frame when it is injection molded and should not be visible. It's almost impossible for the recoil spring to come in contact with the frame at that point. So, it might be a manufacturing defect rather than wear.

That said, if the gun runs well and it is just a molding void, it probably will not hurt anything and might get you a nice discount.
    It would be so nice if something made sense for a change.
    -- Alice in Lewis Carroll's Alice's Adventures in Wonderland

Here are pictures of my K9, P9, and PM9 for comparison.

Wynn
    USAF Retired '88, NRA Life Member. Wife USAF Retired '96
    Avatar: Wynn re-enlists his wife Desiree, circa 1988 Loring AFB, ME. 42nd BMW, Heavy (SAC) B-52G's
    Frédéric Bastiat’s essay, The Law: http://mises.org/books/thelaw.pdf

Thomas Jefferson said

“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.”
    and

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Thanks for the quick response guys. I was looking at a thread on this site regarding frame rails and in the photo the lower reinforcement was showing through in a couple of spots in the bottom area of the Front of the frame. May be normal. The P9 I was looking at was made in 2005. I did compare it with a brand new one that did not show the steel reinforcement. Hmmm...

BTW Wynn, the photos didn't come thru, but I would be interested in seeing them for comparison purposes.

Nice forum, thanks again!

The one that I posted with the three frames looks fine, but here's the thread and this picture is post#4. The P9 is the middle one and is from 2004. I got it LNIB in 2012. I really like it... 8 ounces lighter than the K9 with the same great features.

http://kahrtalk.com/showthread.php?t...ht=9mm+barrels

Wynn
    USAF Retired '88, NRA Life Member. Wife USAF Retired '96
    Avatar: Wynn re-enlists his wife Desiree, circa 1988 Loring AFB, ME. 42nd BMW, Heavy (SAC) B-52G's
    Frédéric Bastiat’s essay, The Law: http://mises.org/books/thelaw.pdf

Thomas Jefferson said

“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.”
    and

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Got it Wynn. On yours, the metal is just peaking through below where the barrel fits. It was much more pronounced on the one I looked at. The shop wanted $525 for it including the case, paperwork and spare mag. Probably wont hurt anything, but I might wait for a better example to come along. I'm pretty much sold on the P/CW9.

I am also looking at the new CW9 w/Dawson Precision sights for $449 here;
    http://www.dawsonprecision.com/Produ...ABE-1260990737

Thanks again!