Tommy Gun   Kahr Shop   Mitch Rosen   Crimsontrace

Thread: CW9 Guide Rail Damage - Help

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default CW9 Guide Rail Damage - Help

I've spent a lot of time researching cc pistols and am leaning heavily to the CW9. I almost bought it this weekend however, I have nagging concerns about the polymer guide rail damage that I've seen reported on numerous sites (interestingly, not so much on this site) This ranges from a few minor shavings to what looks like major damage. I know from my research that the polymer rails are just guide rails to aid in assembly and that the slide actually rides on metal rails in the rear but I just can't understand why there would be so much damage to these guides. A small amount of shaving is no big deal but I've seen chunks out of the guides. Why such differences in the amount of wear and what is normal? This will be my first Kahr and my only other polymer pistol reference is my G17. I'd sure appreciate some insight from those of you in the know. Thanks.

reaqd and believe what u want. some of the so called rail damage is also owner induced. Improperly putting the sldie back on can cut the polymer rails. It hurts nadda but might look like sh!t. Some of the slivers we see posted are just that, slivers. They don't hurt anything but also sometimes don't look like they should either. No alibiis, just facts. Those rails are like u stated merely there to help u guide o the slide. I can tell u my M9 with over 32K out of it and probalby off the frame at least 300 times has not one groove in it, not one shooter induced damage and if there was any slivers on the gun originally, just the cycling action of the slide and the "boom" thing happening smooths those high spots out real fast. Buy ur cw9, u will love it. This has never been a reliability issue to my knowledge, it has been a discussed thing on this forum..
    . My PM9 has over 40,000+ rounds through it, and runs much better than an illegal trying to get across our border

NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER

MAY GOD BLESS MUGGSY

I've put several thousand rounds through my CM9 and P380 with no damage what-so-ever to the guide rails.
    Never trust anyone who doesn't trust you to own a gun.

Life Member - NRA
    Colt Gold Cup 70 series
    Colt Woodsman
    Ruger Mark III .22-45
    Kahr CM9
    Kahr P380

Thought I 'd get the real story on this site. Heading to the store today to buy my CW9. Thanks to all if you for your responses

I just cut unsightly stuff off... carefully. I also had buildup of plastic compressing behind the barrel lug that I trimmed and got out of the way before it hindered operation.

There's a half cylinder "skeleton" of steel embedded in the front of the frame with the rails protruding... and yes, there's a little "nick" in the left one for manufacturing alignment... on most models, anyhow. The rear of the frame has two smaller rails, so the slide rides on steel, front and rear.

Wynn
    USAF Retired '88, NRA Life Member. Wife USAF Retired '96
    Avatar: Wynn re-enlists his wife Desiree, circa 1988 Loring AFB, ME. 42nd BMW, Heavy (SAC) B-52G's
    Frédéric Bastiat’s essay, The Law: http://mises.org/books/thelaw.pdf

Thomas Jefferson said

“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.”
    and

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

My used cw9 had plastic shaveings in it. Clean it up ,lube it well and go shooting. It will quit shaveing plastic soon enough. My cm shaved just a touch of plastic and stopped. Both are great little shoots.

My right front rail broke in half. Theres a thread around here someplace.
    Gun still functioned.
    Kahr replaced the frame and the LGS was nice enough to not charge a transfer fee since it's the frame that's licensed.
    It does happen and I have to wonder if something is torqued to cause that.
    I had been to the range and had no issues.

As with any religious experience, I sat down at my desk and started with the ritual of the cleaning of the gun.
    Oh, look. A broken rail.
    Didn't affect anything.
    I was without it for almost a month or more it seemed.
    Now it's back all nice and spiffy.

oh, p.s. I've never heard of a composite guide rod in a Kahr.
    Last edited by Diocoles; 09-11-2012 at 06:49 PM. Reason: p.s.
    Diocoles
    DAV
    Life Member NRA
    VFW Member

I've experienced no guide rail damage to my CW9. I think you're going to see many more bad than good reports on these types of web sites. My guess is that doesn't necessarily reflect the experience of most people.