Tommy Gun Shop   Mitch Rosen   Kahr Shop   Magnum Research new

Thread: Training Discussion Sparker

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Training Discussion Sparker

I'd like to hear your thoughts on how you train. I took a chance and put together this blog article over the weekend as a discussion starter. http://mousegunaddict.blogspot.com/2...-practice.html

I really didn't know if I should put the video up on YouTube because so many shooting videos out there appear to be driven more by ego than anything else, but I wanted to start somewhere and get some discussion started.

Please share your thoughts on specific things you do in your training process.
    Owner of and sole contributor to the Pocket Guns and Gear blog. http://mousegunaddict.blogspot.com

Practice...any practice is always a good thing. Nowadays my shooting is pretty much relegated to putting a round or two on a target as fast as my eyes will allow. Getting older makes all of this harder.

One thing I never, ever, never , never do is practice head shots. I'm not a SEAL, I'm not on the FBI HRT. I practice only to put a round into the largest available blob of threat I can see. My main concession to achieving some sort of ego gratification is that I usually shoot at 1" dots placed on various targets that I use. If I can hit that quickly, I figure a man sized chest should be achievable too.

I rarely use my sights when practicing a fast response type drill. Point and shoot is the most probable event to occur in reality. I do of course practice using sights, but it slows down the first shoot quite a bit.

As you found, shooting while moving is very hard and most people will never practice enough to do it well. It takes huge amounts of time and ammo to become proficient at it and I've neither the time nor money to keep up to any useful standard. This is truely difficult when combined with the target moving, which is more realistic. If I shoot at something I can safely say I'll be standing still, hiding behind something or possibly moving backward. If you practice any movement skill, IMHO, it should be moving to the rear.

Just a few thoughts... sparked by your video. Success!
    Judging by today's left wing, looks like Senator Joe McCarthy was right after all.

Quote Originally Posted by ripley16 View Post
    One thing I never, ever, never , never do is practice head shots. I'm not a SEAL, I'm not on the FBI HRT. I practice only to put a round into the largest available blob of threat I can see. My main concession to achieving some sort of ego gratification is that I usually shoot at 1" dots placed on various targets that I use. If I can hit that quickly, I figure a man sized chest should be achievable too.

The two to the body, one to the head thing came about because that's how the majority if IDPA targets must be neutralized. I mentioned in my blog that most of the practical shooting experience came from IDPA matches.

Thanks for the feedback. I was thinking that it would be really challenging (more realistic) to go shoot with a buddy and take turns changing the targets around on each other. One guy stands with this back to the bay while the other guy moves the targets around. Shooter doesn't get to see what's in store until they turn, assess the threats, draw, then engage.
    Owner of and sole contributor to the Pocket Guns and Gear blog. http://mousegunaddict.blogspot.com

Similar to what you do but with a Glock 26 Airsoft blowback pistol. Do a lot more point n' shoot and at very close distances. My targets are round stove heating element covers hanging on trees and on a pvc movable stand, the sound tells me my hits. Very safe and very inexpensive practice. I believe the practice is also relatively effective for what it is.

The Airsoft can hold 15 + 1 pellets but I load with 10 + 1 just like when I carry my Glock.
    "I hate quotations. Tell me what you know."
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by Bill K View Post
    The Airsoft can hold 15 + 1 pellets but I load with 10 + 1 just like when I carry my Glock.
    Awesome idea. Reality training at it's best.

Quote Originally Posted by Ljutic View Post
    Where Airsoft practice/training really shines is with force on force. Airsoft lacks recoil and noise. My Airsoft Glock replicates size, sights, looks and near weight of my real Glock but trigger feel is very different.
    "I hate quotations. Tell me what you know."
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by Ljutic View Post
    Some of the best training I've ever seen is that which certain govt. entities use. The most realistic scenario is when the target shoots back. This is exactly how some folks train. It makes a huge difference. Really sharpens the recognition skills and improves teamwork. Doesn't relate to Joe Schmo defensive shooting, but it's always interesting and a bit humbling to see true pros do their thing. :59:
    Judging by today's left wing, looks like Senator Joe McCarthy was right after all.

my weekly practice/training routine is as follows: on the indoor range with the CM9@ low ready,weak hand at side (draws not allowed), @57ft., 9 strings of controlled pairs,freestyle.
    all following are @30ft., weak hand at side,from low ready,9 strings of controlled pairs,strong hand only.
    strong " " " " " " " " " " weak hand only.
    head shots only, " " " " " " " freestyle.
    mozambique/failure " " " " " " " freestyle.(I try to speed up the 2 body shots here,wanting all down zero)
    all strings are done w/shot timer for start beep; this is the IDPA Classifier w/o the movement or reloads.

my draws,presentations,shooting from high/low cover,reloading w/wo retention,advancing,retreating,lateral movement,sitting,kneeling,and prone are practiced during monthly IDPA matches, outdoors/indoors, as COF dictates,twice monthly.
    these drills are performed with my EDC/comppetition CM9, IWB.

NRA LIFER
    IDPA BELEIVER

I practice trigger control. If I hurry, I pull my shots low and left (I am right handed). Shooting weak hand only. Shooting and pausing without mentally counting total number of shots. }} all in indoor range.
    Recently bought steel targets and am looking forward to trying new scenarios outdoors.
    I just found out there is an app for a shooting timer, free download, to a smart phone.