Mitch Rosen   Crimsontrace   Magnum Research new   Tommy Gun Shop
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Who knew?

How the heck did I miss that...Thanks GROTMAN for catching it....I try to proof read and make sure I got it close to right but sometimes I miss something....

I wish I could spell like O'Dell and my wife can...Its a royal pain sometimes when trying to remember how something is spelled...Sometimes a word just doesn't look right to me but is (like Devil) and to me Devel looks more righter but what can I say, just another one of my many failings....

I've studied a lot of furrin' languages and sometimes the spellings are different by just a letter or two... in defence of my spellin checks. My biggest problem is that my timing is off because I'm not a typist. I had to pass a 20 WPM test to get through typing class back in 1964/65 in the Air Force... you just took the test over and over until you got 20 words correct in one minute... after mistakes deducted. I've never really progressed past that.
    I use a "natural" keyboard at my main PC and it really throws me off when I use regular keyboards at any of the other machines.

Wynn
    USAF Retired '88, NRA Life Member. Wife USAF Retired '96
    Avatar: Wynn re-enlists his wife Desiree, circa 1988 Loring AFB, ME. 42nd BMW, Heavy (SAC) B-52G's
    Frédéric Bastiat’s essay, The Law: http://mises.org/books/thelaw.pdf

Thomas Jefferson said

“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.”
    and

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Quote Originally Posted by getsome View Post
    How the heck did I miss that...Thanks GROTMAN for catching it....I try to proof read and make sure I got it close to right but sometimes I miss something....

I wish I could spell like O'Dell and my wife can...Its a royal pain sometimes when trying to remember how something is spelled...Sometimes a word just doesn't look right to me but is (like Devil) and to me Devel looks more righter but what can I say, just another one of my many failings....
    Oh, I think I do pretty good, as well. I have spell checking turned off in my browser, but I use the Google search engine to check a word every now and then. I am kind of anal about it. If I notice an error after I have posted, I edit and correc tit. Sometimes I don't notice.

Quote Originally Posted by wyntrout View Post
    I've studied a lot of furrin' languages and sometimes the spellings are different by just a letter or two... in defence of my spellin checks. My biggest problem is that my timing is off because I'm not a typist. I had to pass a 20 WPM test to get through typing class back in 1964/65 in the Air Force... you just took the test over and over until you got 20 words correct in one minute... after mistakes deducted. I've never really progressed past that.
    I use a "natural" keyboard at my main PC and it really throws me off when I use regular keyboards at any of the other machines.

Wynn
    I have always had to do 2 finger typing, so I have built up speed over time. The only bad thing is that I have to keep my eyes on the keyboard while typing because I don't use the F and J index keys.

I use the qwerty keyboard. Too late to change now.
    Very interesting...

Quote Originally Posted by getsome View Post

You really don't want to wish that. Post #37 was sarcasm. I'm a great reader, but probably among the world's worst spellers. I've been using the "Google trick" for years as dictionaries weren't cutting it, and Google is right up there at the top right corner of the page.

oh contrare, my friend, not the world's worst!! Just sayin..
    . My PM9 has over 40,000+ rounds through it, and runs much better than an illegal trying to get across our border

NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER

MAY GOD BLESS MUGGSY

Quote Originally Posted by jocko View Post
    oh contrare, my friend, not the world's worst!! Just sayin..
    Darn that was so close just short on "I". Between your excellent typing skills and your much higher than average grasp on the English language your a leader for all of us to try and copy as best as we can.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a total mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh?

Quote Originally Posted by GROTMAN View Post
    Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a total mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh?
    funny i can read this...amazing with all the crp i learned in HS , it's no wonder i can think at all

English is a "rich" language... they say. Don't ask me me who "they" are. There seem to be no rules on spelling and pronunciation... unlike Spanish, which is so regular that they use accents on words if the pronunciation isn't following the rule.
    The French throw a lot of extra letters on the end that aren't pronounced... unless they're followed by a silent "e".

We have things like loose and lose, which most people can't seem to get right... if it's loose (like goose) you might lose it.

Most people don't differentiate between "pen" and "pin" and use the same pronunciation. I do, too, unless I think about it.

It gripes me to hear the "learned" newspeople make a big deal of using "an" before every word starting with an "h"... as an historic... which is WRONG. An before honor, where the "h" is silent is correct. It makes for a smoother transition between words... An honor... which kind of runs together... the whole point.

Then they'll say "as for my wife and I"... for requires "me". Try as for we... not good.

OK. I'll shut up. It just makes me a bit angry that they think they are so sophisticated and elite, but they can't even speak English correctly. They ought to be fined $10K every time they say "like me" which is only correct if like is the verb... as in do you like me? All of this bad English on TV and the radio has been bad examples for everyone for a long time... then the a$$wipes who write the danged dictionaries decide to go ahead and make incorrect spellings and uses optional.

Yackety yack!

Pet peeves. I'll bet there are a bunch who get peeved over what I just said.

Wynn
    USAF Retired '88, NRA Life Member. Wife USAF Retired '96
    Avatar: Wynn re-enlists his wife Desiree, circa 1988 Loring AFB, ME. 42nd BMW, Heavy (SAC) B-52G's
    Frédéric Bastiat’s essay, The Law: http://mises.org/books/thelaw.pdf

Thomas Jefferson said

“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.”
    and

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".