Mitch Rosen   Crimsontrace   Magnum Research new   CrossBreed Holsters

Thread: The beginning of a torrid love affair - MK9

Default The beginning of a torrid love affair - MK9

Hello! I finally joined up after reading the forums for a while here. I got into shooting when I was a reporter - I did a story on an NRA Women on Target event at a gun range in my area, and it completely changed my idea of guns and if I could handle something like that. I met a man not long after I did that who carried, and it completely fascinated me. He taught me a little at a time about each caliber, what each pistol, shotgun and rifle did, country of origin and manufacturer habits and tastes, and a year later, we were living together, and he was sending me off to my first concealed carry class with his Walther PPS and the first box of Federal 9 I ever bought.

About July I began aching for my own (plus he wasn't fond of the purse lint that accumulated when I couldn't wear it at my new job), so I dug a little deeper and made many a chart and list on compact & sub-compact gun details, weight, height, caliber, SA/DA. trigger pull, recoil, polymer vs. steel framed, blah blah blah, but it wasn't until about a month ago that I finally decided to look closer at this "Kahr" that kept popping up in my perifery. I was pretty set that I wanted a steel framed pistol (not that the polymer PPS was a bad thing - but I held his father's 1911 and never wanted to put another plastic thing in my hand again) and discovered the beautiful little MK9. I layaway-ed it from Bud's and have it here, in my hands, two weeks later. He didn't get involved in my decision making, but was impressed with my choice.

When I got home with it this afternoon, I immediately drew up my KahrTalk stickys about cleaning it the first time and how and where to lube it. I have seen that some have gotten fresh-off-the-line dirty guns. Mine seems to have been inspected and heavily lubed, but no shavings or anything. Since I'd seen the take down videos, the manual directions were easy to follow. However, it goes without saying that this is not made for my little lady hands, and I was havin' to suck it up and just do it when it came to locking it open! But - I am not discouraged. I know from reading this forum that the break in process is an important and beneficial one if done properly, so I am not complaining as I sit here and rack it until my arms are jelly, because my gun is going to be reliable and awesome when I get out to the range and run a few boxes of Winchester white box through it tomorrow. Also INTENSELY thrilled with this trigger. I love that I can't feel that stop in it before it breaks, like the PPS, because I have a tendancy to anticipate the bang and pull the nose of my gun down to try to fight the recoil. (Which isn't that bad - there's a recoil reducer in it to begin with.) Can't wait to feel it with some lead behind it.

We thought we'd have a holster that fit, but this is so much smaller than ones we have now that I simply do not have a suitable carry option right now. BUT, I have ordered an IWB Kahr MK9 leather custom holster from TTGunleather in California, because they have made a few simply fantastic, classy holsters for us in the past. As with any good thing, I must wait for it, so I'm thinking about getting a holster attachment to put on a CompTac Minotaur we use for the P99. Suggestions for temporary holster options? I'm not a pocket carrier. And a little slim for appendix carry. Please don't make me put it on my ankle.

One more question, and I know this is probably the initiation question or something, but I have a fancy "7" written in ... Sharpie? on the inside of my slide and frame. Is it the batch number or something?

Thanks so much for the awesome forum! I appreciate having all the answers in one place!

Lame - double posted. Fantastic first impression.

<-- n00b

To whom it may concern, you not only have one of the finest guns made by Kahr, you have one the finest guns made ever.

I dont know what NYPD poindexters had a problem with regarding the K9, but these two (MK9 and K9) are top notch guns.

Edited for gender neutral salutations, not knowing the author.

you still have a great gun!
    Last edited by JERRY; 09-29-2012 at 11:18 AM.
    I hate being bi-polar, its awsome!

Me thinks we have a Mrs. or Miss not a mister and we're glad to have her.

Sounds like your really did your homework and deserve extra credit points for effort.

I'll try to curb my constant rants about media types and you obviously don't fit into that mold, at least any longer.

Welcome, hope you like it here.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Default Welcome to the forum!

Glad you have joined us!

Your guess is as good as any regarding the '7'. We have rarely seen other Kahrs with something like that on the inside of the slide. Yours is a fancy one! Maybe it is for good luck. No biggie. You got a great gun. Now go shoot it like you stole it!

I and very many others here and on the Glock and S&W forums will tell you about a great little holster made of thin, light as a feather yet tough as nails kydex, made by a really great guy named Paul in Warminster, PA. When carrying one of these small Kahrs in this holster just behind your hip, the gun and holster seem to vanish from your perception because it is so 100% comfortable and stable. It doesn't shift or move around when you move, so the mass of the gun seems not to be there. Paul has a special talent for this! When I am wearing my CM9 in it, I have to reach back there every now and then and touch the gun to reaffirm that I am wearing it! No kidding!

It is the PJ IWB Holster with the over the belt clip on this page:
    http://pjholster.com/?page_id=37.

Now, Paul can make it to suit you as far as ride height and cant. But I would trust him to just do it with the cant like pictured. He has other options such as making it tuckable, where the clip is made from a separate piece of kydex attached near the bottom of the holster with a thin slot between it and the holster to tuck your shirt in. If you want complete concealment with nothing showing on the belt at all, he can do it with Velcro attachment, which of course has to be matched up with a belt on which you place a (included) strip of Velcro.

A good gun belt is a must. Normally 1 1/2" wide, though if you go thinner let the holster maker know so he can adjust the clip to fit correctly (although this is not a concern with the Velcro).
    Very interesting...

Thanks for the welcome! . I got to break in my MK9 yesterday, so I'll write up the results for you guys.

Thanks for the holster suggestion, too. I was looking to spend about that much on one, so ill consider it! I like the compact nature of it.

And I promise I'm not one of those media types. I tried it for a few years but it wasn't my bag. Made me feel dirty!

Hello & welcome:thumbup:

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2