Tommy Gun   CrossBreed Holsters   Xssights   Kahr Shop
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: best defense ammo for CM40

Default best defense ammo for CM40

I am looking for the best (most reliable feed w/ short 3" barrel and most stopping power) for my CM40. I have looked at Winchester, Rem., Hornady, Speer, Fed. I see Speer has a round specifically for short barrel sub compact guns...

Thank you

advertisng hype. ore than anything. find a round that u like that works perfect and ur gonna notice no difference IMO. a fotay in a kahr is a handful and the power of the round should bemore than enough. RELIABILITY HAS TOBE #1. That short barreld speer round certainly does not outsell the standard +P speer gold dot, which most surverys show that it is the round of choice. It ahs been around for years, so that in itself should tellu sumpin. I am found of corbon powerball as it fees just like a fmj round. It is not a speer gold dot but damn close and it probably would be towards the bottom of most people carry round. Not to sure if one caqn beat the corbon DPX round as the best of the best to
    . My PM9 has over 40,000+ rounds through it, and runs much better than an illegal trying to get across our border

NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER

MAY GOD BLESS MUGGSY

I'm a Gold Dot man, but CorBon PDX ain't bad. Make sure that it feeds well in your pistol. See the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWOWX...feature=relmfu
    Never trust anyone who doesn't trust you to own a gun.

Life Member - NRA
    Colt Gold Cup 70 series
    Colt Woodsman
    Ruger Mark III .22-45
    Kahr CM9
    Kahr P380

Quote Originally Posted by DooSPX View Post
    I am looking for the best (most reliable feed w/ short 3" barrel and most stopping power) for my CM40. I have looked at Winchester, Rem., Hornady, Speer, Fed. I see Speer has a round specifically for short barrel sub compact guns...

Thank you
    If I were you, I would give serious consideration to the Speer short barrel loading for your CM40.

I am for my G27.

Speer lists the 180 gr. GDHP @ 950 fps out of a 3.5" bbl. with 361 ft. lbs. of energy at the muzzle.

FWIW, my current SD load in my G27 is the Win. Bonded 180 gr. JHP PDX1.
    Great load in the G27, very accurate with managable recoil to be sure.

Quote Originally Posted by JimC View Post
    If I were you, I would give serious consideration to the Speer short barrel loading for your CM40.

I am for my G27.

Speer lists the 180 gr. GDHP @ 950 fps out of a 3.5" bbl. with 361 ft. lbs. of energy at the muzzle.

FWIW, my current SD load in my G27 is the Win. Bonded 180 gr. JHP PDX1.
    Great load in the G27, very accurate with managable recoil to be sure.
    didnt notice any significant advantage to the "short barrel" .40 vs a regular 180gr jhp. (we were shooting a glock27) Any good quality 180gr .40 defense round should be ok. I would just avoid the lighter loads in the short barrel.
    then again, excuse for some range tests because ITS PUMPKIN SEASON!!!

I have a friend who can get Winchester Ranger T 180gr. I rather have that then the PDX1. Who has shot 180gr from their CM/PM 40 cal. Kahr's? My target rounds are only 165gr.

There are lots of SB options Winchester was the first with the T-Series ammo. Federal followed with their HST. Speer not wanting to lose market share tweaked the Gold Dot into the SB. It is not a marketing ploy or hype. The bullet designs are different.

Speer went a step further and opened sales of their SB ammo to regular consumers. Ranger and HST ie Federal Tactical are supposed to be restricted sales to Government Agencies only. Winchester did start a program to allow individual Officers to buy up to two boxes of ammo upon proof of employment. Federal Tactical, Gold Dot LE, and Golden Saber Bonded LE can be sold to individual officers upon proof of employment.

However all of this ammo can be found for sale no matter how hard the MFG try to stop the leaks in the supply chain.

SD ammo in general, any caliber or weight, I favor;
    Winchester Ranger T-Series, Speer GDHP or Federal HST.
    In 40 any weight will serve you well.
    Being proficient is more important than paper ballistic stopping power to me.
    The important aspect is making sure the gun is reliable and hits point of aim with that round.

As for my personal preference in 40, I favor the middle weights 155/165 gr.

My MK40 Elite is usually loaded with Speer GDHP 155.
    As they have been chronographed at ~1150 fps 450 E from a 3.0" barrel.
    It's one of the hottest 3.0" barrel rounds I've seen.

In full size 40,
    my Heckler and Koch P30 is loaded with Winchester Ranger T-Series 165 gr.
    I understand the 165 gr Ranger Ts and GDHP have outstanding track records with LE.

Full Disclosure.
    Although I have no evidence to support this.
    Winchester Ranger T-Series seem to have a smaller, more rounded,
    HP nose that may facilitate feeding.
    They seem to be the most reliable feeding of the three brands in my various guns.

I've switched most of my carry ammo to Winchester Ranger T-Series;
    230 gr .45 ACP, 165 gr 40 S&W, and 125 gr 357 Sig.

I'd have to agree with Barth when it comes to choices of brands of ammo. From the videos I've seen with these rounds in ballistics gel. Gold dots, Ranger Ts, and HSTs all seem to expand the best with the petals seeming to cause the most damage while traveling through the media.

As far as weight goes, can't speak too much to that. I'd recommend checking out TNoutdoors9 on youtube. He has some good videos on testing .40 ammo. I do however have a mag of Federal HST 180 grain loaded for my XD in case a situation arises where I'd need to defend myself at home, and I have confidence this round will do the job just fine.

Buffalo Bore 155 +P
    Liberty Civil Defense