Mitch Rosen   Crimsontrace   Tommy Gun   CrossBreed Holsters
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Recalibration Results & Range Report (Amigo)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Recalibration Results & Range Report (Amigo)

To avoid the need to sort through the thread "Is this a DEAL or What?", I'm cutting through the chase and letting you know how yesterday's Recalibration at the Range went with my new Amigo by American Classics (Metro Arms).

As instructed by TucsonMTB and others, I used only one kind of ammo through the entire testing: 300 rounds of Federal 230 grain (brass) from Walmart, and I used only ONE magazine (Wilson Combat) during the first of the testing, then added ALL magazines at the end of the test when I found a spring that served me well. All mags held 7 rounds.

The Recalibration Pack from Wolff gunsprings contained 3 firing pin springs and four recoil springs (24#, 22#, 20#, 18.5#). Per Wolff's instructions I began with the heaviest load spring first, then worked my way down until I found a spring that worked best. Here's a glimpse of the results:

24# Spring (Nothing!)
    No dice, Nada, Ain't Happnin'....The spring was either too long or too strong, but it would not allow me to lock the slide back at all. Would not allow me to load in the battery. Removed it and started with the next spring. Anyone need a good 24# spring?

22# Spring (Little Something)
    Using the Wilson Combat magazine THREE times....
    1st Mag = Slide locked open on #6 bullet
    2nd Mag = FTE and FTL on #2 bullet
    3rd Mag = FTE and FTL on #1 bullet, FTL on #6 bullet

So...I wonder how the ACT (factory) mag will do with the 22#?
    1st Mag = all good!
    2nd Mag = FTE on #7 bullet
    3rd Mag = Failure to leave slide open after bullet #7

20# Spring (Much Improved!)
    Using the Wilson mag again...
    1st Mag = all good!
    2nd Mag = all good!
    3rd Mag = all good!
    Felt good about this, so I ran more with the Wilson....
    4th Mag = all good!
    5th Mag = all good
    6th Mag = FTE on #5 bullet
    7th Mag (using the ACT mag....couldn't resist...) = FTE on #7 bullet

By this time, I'm having fun and the Range Overlord is peeking in to see my progress....

18# Spring (Best!)
    1st - 6th Mags loaded, fired, ejected ALMOST 100% with the exception of one FTE. (Could've been a weak grip....I was getting tired by now, but too much fun to stop!)

So...I tried ALL three mags (ACT factory, Wilson Combat, Generic). All three mags were used TWICE, with only ONE FTL using the Generic brand magazine.

Final Summary
    With over 125 rounds using the 18.5# spring and all three magazines, the Wilson Combat never failed once. The ACT magazine gave me one stovepipe, and the Generic magazine gave me one FTE and one FTL.

So far this new 1911 Amigo has about 700 round through it. The 18.5# Wolff spring definitely hit the spot, as the overall performance has definitely improved. Haven't received the new factory recoil spring from Metro Arms, but they emailed yesterday to say it's in the mail. It will be interesting to compare it side by side with the Wolff 18.5#.

The remaining ejection issues may be related to my occasional weak grip (from inexperience/fatigue), or the tension of the ejector, so get ready to walk me through that process, TucsonMTB and Co. During the cleaning last night it took quite a bit of shaking to make an EMPTY fall freely from the ejector. So, I'm guessing the ejector is too tight, right?

It was a FUN 2 hours, the tip of my trigger finger is sore, but I feel like it was a great learning experience. I can tell the accuracy of this little 1911 is much better than I am. Enjoyed aiming at the head of a thumb tack and nicking it on the side at 21 feet after several tries. Nothing you'll see on Top Shot, but it gave me more of a "can do" attitude.

Thanks for all your help and guidance during this journey down Highway 1911. Still more trips to come!

DISCOVERY OF DAMAGE: During the cleaning last night I discovered the recoil spring bushing was slightly damaged on the edges. Looks like it suffered a pretty hefty whack by the frame, likely when I was using the stronger spring....OR, did I not have that bushing lined up perfectly before reinstalling the recoil assembly in the slide? When I can, I'll post a picture of the damage, then let you tell me your opinion....
    Last edited by sierrajb; 10-11-2012 at 12:11 PM. Reason: additional info
    God is good, ALL the time!

Excellent report and I suspect exactly what most of us expected. I submit that good full power carry loads will have not issue at all and the Federal might be slightly less powerful hence the lighter spring working the best.

With more rounds fired things might loosen to the point where the 20 or even 22# spring might come into play again.

Apparently the 24 is just too long physically. Since your working I'd not be concerned. It would no doubt work in a commander or a full size and maybe you got one in error.

So happy it's running for you. Me thinks we have another 1911 convert.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Nicely done, sir!

I am especially pleased that you are now enjoying your 1911.
    It would be so nice if something made sense for a change.
    -- Alice in Lewis Carroll's Alice's Adventures in Wonderland

Have you thought about opening the ejection port up a bit to get rid of any remaining FTE problems?
    Very interesting...

Bawanna, the funny thing about the LENGTH of the 24#, is that it's the SHORTEST of the bunch! The 18.5# is the longest, then the 22#, then the 20#, then the 24#. Doesn't make sense unless the thickness of the coils is different.

TucsonMTB, as the neighborhood squirrels would say, "It's the Nuts!"

JFootin, I'm such a Newbie, I wouldn't know the first thing about doing this to the ejection port myself. I'm leary of bending the ejector to adjust the tension, but planning on trying that next. I welcome your wisdom, though!

Will post a picture of the damaged recoil bushing later this evening so you all can chime in if you'd like. Not sure if this is typical of an entry-level 1911, or if it's something stupid I did to cause it. More later....

Quote Originally Posted by sierrajb View Post
    JFootin, I'm such a Newbie, I wouldn't know the first thing about doing this to the ejection port myself. I'm leary of bending the ejector to adjust the tension, but planning on trying that next. I welcome your wisdom, though!
    I couldn't begin to tell you how to do it, but I know that 1911s are often marketed with "flared ejection ports," so that is what I was talking about. Any good gunsmith or 1911 guru can do it.
    Very interesting...

The Amigo comes standard with a lowered and flared ejection port, as do many 1911's.

No need to do anything . . .

It would be so nice if something made sense for a change.
    -- Alice in Lewis Carroll's Alice's Adventures in Wonderland

Quote Originally Posted by TucsonMTB View Post
    The Amigo comes standard with a lowered and flared ejection port, as do many 1911's.

No need to do anything . . .

Hey, TucsonMTB! That looks just like my gun (minus the laminate grips that don't look as good as the ones a certain Bawanna is going to do for me some day). Maybe JFootin was talking about enhancing that flare (?).

Quote Originally Posted by sierrajb View Post
    Maybe JFootin was talking about enhancing that flare (?).
    No. Just ignorant about the Amigo.
    Very interesting...

sierrajb,
    Could you post a photo of the plug installed in the slide and one of the slide (without the plug) to show how the slide is machined where the plug fits?
    Regards,
    Greg