CrossBreed Holsters   Magnum Research new   Tommy Gun   Xssights

Thread: AO M1 Carbine - loose stock?

Default AO M1 Carbine - loose stock?

Greetings all,

I've had a AO M1 Carbine for a few years now. It's got a few hundred rounds through it. I've noticed recently that the stock seems a bit loose. Whenever I pull the trigger, I can feel the receiver shift rearward. The movement is almost imperceptible, but it is definitely there. It doesn't affect the operation of the gun, but it is very distracting.

Anyone else here see this on their gun? I would assume that putting a shim in somewhere would solve the problem, but where should it go?

It's been a long spell since I looked at an M1 out of the stock but I suspect a little Acraglas would be the best fix. There should be a recoil lug of some sort. Might need to actually remove a little wood and create a tighter fit.

You'll get a much more perfect fit than any sort of shim etc.

One must use caution not to create a mechanical lock and glue the action into the stock but it's not difficult.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

there is a single screw on top where stock and action lock plate meet make shure this screw is tight.if you have a dremal it is easy to deepen groove where lock plate bottoms out in stock. a small amount makes big differance. hope this helps

Ditto, Accraglas Gel up front... a little file work to clean it up.

Don't "Bed" the front, just build up a layer on the front end... then file it back to make the thickness uniform, and have it fit in the front furniture (the metal stuff).

There is no need to go thru the hassle and mess of actually "Bedding" the front.

Ditto, Accraglas Gel up front... a little file work to clean it up.

Don't "Bed" the front, just build up a layer on the front end... then file it back to make the thickness uniform, and have it fit in the front furniture (the metal stuff).

There is no need to go thru the hassle and mess of actually "Bedding" the front.