I have not been reloading all that long. I did some research before I started (as I do with most things) and settled on Hodgdon Longshot because it was said to be "cleaner, consistently accurate and with lower pressure". I have found this to be very true and I am very pleased with this powder.

For my PM4O (40S&W), using 165gr FMJ Precision Delta bullets, Federal Small Pistol primers, c.o.l. approx 1.13": I am using about 5.7 grains of Longshot powder, but up to 6 grains works well too. Hodgdon recommends about 7gr. Most guys are shooting IDPA with light loads that just meet the power rating of 125 which is bullet weight in gr X velocity FPS all divided by 1000. Anything 5 grains or below and the bullets will not cycle properly in my PM40. 5.5 grains cycles with the load stated above, so I increased the powder charge to 5.7 gr. (Note: this is a very small barrel for competition and the lighter loads in this caliber can be a blessing when dealing with the muzzle flip and number of rounds during this type of competition. We are not talking SD rounds which in my opinion should be factory loads only. However, a light competition load in the 40S&W is claimed to cross over into the type of flip felt in standard 9mm rounds. I can not say this for certain and am NOT trying to start a controversy over caliber. Just explaining the benefits of fast recovery during competition....Bla, Bla, Bla...)

Anyway.....If there is anyone else reloading the 40S&W for IDPA I am very interested to hear about the powder are you using and what loads you are using?....even if your not competing in IDPA...voice your experience with powders for the 40S&W. Let's talk powder. Thanks.