Xssights   Tommy Gun Shop   Kahr Shop   CrossBreed Holsters
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CTL Hesitation?

Upstate NY - (nothing like NYC). In remote country with thousands of acres of hunting.

Default CTL Hesitation?

Food for thought - Many of us are purists and simply don't like the looks or idea of sticking a laser on our ole faithful carry piece. Some of us are slow to change and will never appreciate the benefits of a CTL...because we won't try one. Some of us simply don't feel the need for it being on our primary carry piece...that we've never had to pull anyway...why bother adding the laser. Some of us can't seem to justify spending the money...we are fine without the added expense of a CTL. There are probably a lot more reasons to NOT try a CTL...they probably don't work well and are simply unnecessary...Right?

Ask yourself why you decided to carry in the first place and then carefully reflect on the advantages vs disadvantages of a CTL. At least take the time to watch the CTL video. We are all different, with our individual preferences and biases. There is no right or wrong choice. Do what makes you better when it comes to self defense. A CTL may make the difference when it is needed at crunch time and practice time....or maybe not. The sights are still there.
    My Sword - PM4044N/CTL/Talons
    - "One should diligently train at all times." Miyamoto Musashi
    - "Train in technique until it requires no thought - no mind and just happens." Takan Soho
    - "The truth beyond the technique....Here's where we stop thinking and start shooting." Brian Enos
    - "A single sword against the cold sky." Yamaoka Tesshu
    - "You must concentrate upon and consecrate yourself wholly to each day, as though a fire were raging in your hair."
    Taisen Deshimaru
    - "Know your sword!"

I'd like to have a laser on all my carry pieces. I really think they give you an edge. Daylight Savings Time ends soon, a good time to replace your laser batteries, along with your smoke/fire alarm batteries.
    Tom
    Live today, tomorrow may not come!
    Boberg XR9S
    Kahr CW40
    Springfield Armory 1911
    Dan Wesson Revolver

HY*NDAI is to cars, what Caracal, Hi-Point, and Jennings is to handguns. The cars may or may not run ok, but the corporation SUCKS.

Upstate NY - (nothing like NYC). In remote country with thousands of acres of hunting.

Agree. How do you like that m&p pro?
    - "Train in technique until it requires no thought - no mind and just happens." Takan Soho
    - "The truth beyond the technique....Here's where we stop thinking and start shooting." Brian Enos
    - "You must concentrate upon and consecrate yourself wholly to each day, as though a fire were raging in your hair."
    Taisen Deshimaru
    - "Know your sword!"

I have a CTL on my PM9. Not enough practice to be great with it. Something about the way it changes my grip makes me quite a bit less accurate.

Also, the part of the laser that wraps around the trigger guard blisters my trigger finger if I fire many shots with it on.
    Kahr PM9094 - Hornady Critical Defense

Marlin 30-30
    Mossberg 500A 12 GA
    Marlin .22LR

I have a CTL on my PM9. Not enough practice to be great with it. Something about the way it changes my grip makes me quite a bit less accurate.

Also, the part of the laser that wraps around the trigger guard blisters my trigger finger if I fire many shots with it on.
    Interesting. I had the blister issue myself and removed the CTL then buffed the edges of the trigger guard wrap on my PM40. No more blisters even after 200 rounds a session. I don't know why your grip would change with or without the CTL. My middle finger is the only digit that engages the CTL button and it simply wraps around the CTL button area the same every time.... I will leave that one for you to figure out as I honestly can't help. Hope the buffing solution works for you too.
    Taisen Deshimaru
    - "Know your sword!"

Quote Originally Posted by MO_Soldier View Post
    I had this problem too and eventually removed it. I think it had to do with the gap between the two sides of the laser mount. They are not parallel to each other as mounted on mine and would pinch the skin on the front of the bottom edge of my trigger finger on recoil.

I've been meaning to polish those edges up and give it another try but I haven't gotten around to it. I have the same laser on an LCP and have had none of these issues but it wraps around the trigger guard differently on the CM9.

I am confident that if you polish up any edges, you will be a happier campier.
    Taisen Deshimaru
    - "Know your sword!"

Don't have a laser, and don't want one!

What video are you referring to? I'm about to purchase a Kahr, just struggling with the decision if I want the factory laser option or not.

Lasers are like Glocks... you either love em or you hate em. I never had one on any of my duty weapons but have had one on all of my cc weapons. Not to debate the pros and cons on pulling your weapon from its holster... BUT I see it as another deterant to pulling the trigger should I ever have to pull that gun to stop a life threatening situation. First the laser will confirm to any would-be offender that I have a gun in my hand and not a cell phone or other item. I want him to know without a shadow of a doubt that I am capable of defending myself. Second the red dot on the chest is as much of an "oh sh*t" moment as the sound of a shotgun being racked or the crackle of a taser ... you know what it means. And finally and most importantly - the comfort in knowing where that bullet is going to hit if I am unable to use my sights for any reason. Just my two cents on some pros